Why do sites like this exist?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ihatemyselfalot, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ihatemyselfalot

Ihatemyselfalot Banned Member

If you are suicidal it probably think life will suck as long as it is going on and you want to end it.

Maybe your story is different, but my life is just one big depressing blur, I'm not in constant pain, its just that life is so bleak and miserable that I can't stand it and I want out, its hard to explain and I don't want to sit here all day and write about how, but I hate life and I always have..

I have been here for a few weeks and posted a few threads and responses to stuff but all I have seen are depressed people being depressed and people here saying don't do it and give generic "don't do it : (" responses and stuff like that.

So really all this, including my therapists are doing (I went today and this is why I bring this up) are basically trying to make you live your normal life expectancy, no matter what is going on.
    These places and people aren't trying to support depression or trying to help you feel better, they are just trying to make sure that even though you are depressed, you don't kill yourself and just provide suggestion for filler to make up the time between now and your natural death instead of killing yourself later tonight. <--- and option I am seriously considering.
  2. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

I cant speak for every one but i came here looking for a method. Instead i found a helpful community where i feel safe posting my thoughts and feelings knowing some one will read them and on some level understand what im going through.
  3. Ihatemyselfalot

I understand that buddy.

But what I'm saying is, where does it get to?
    I'm on another depression based forum and its a tonne smaller than this, there is less than 100 members, but I talk about, but then I still feel the same, just because somebody understands doesn't mean I'm not in the position that I was in before I posted...
    The only reason I use that forum is because I like the people there and its a close friends community.
  4. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

I understand your point.

I come here when I am feeling so down and alone that if I don't, I would just give up my life instantly. This place is where I can talk to people who understand and help me calm down. I find that after talking to people, or even helping others who are feeling down, my suicidal feelings decrease..

It's how I cope.. So for me, this place can help balance my mood and take me down from wanting to do something stupid.
  5. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Sometimes a bit of interaction can lift your mood. With depression it's the tiny things like someone saying hello and starting a conversation that really make my day.
    It's nice to feel like you belong somewhere when everyone in 'real life' seems so alien.
  6. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

I've met someone on this website who is there for me more than my irl supposed best friends.

Now that would give anyone something to live for, wouldn't it? Even just a little bit?
  7. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

An interesting question...

The site's basic reason for being, is to attempt to help those in crisis - if they're feeling suicidal especially, as the name of the forum suggests.

But, I think, if you scratch below the surface, it goes a lot deeper than that - it can be a place to relax as odd as that sounds - the Coffee House and chat can be places to unwind, for example. The place now covers a wide range of issues - look at all the different genres of forum that we've got here - suicidal feelings and depression, disorders, sexual problems and so on.

Support is given, to some minds, effectively - equally, to others, not. But we're all human and subjective beings, and ultimately if the site helps to lift someone's mood, to crack a smile, and at the other extreme, to save someone's life - then it'll have been successful in what it was created for.

My two pennies' worth...
  8. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I find this forum a great comfort..I know it can't cure our depression but it can postpone the suicidal feeling long enough for something to happen to make us feel better about life..
    talking to people who understand certainly helps to know we're not alone with our feelings
  9. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

I find myself visiting SF when I feel depressed, sure you won't find all the answers here but it's just a place for normal people to interact and give their two cents when another needs it. I find it more a place to confide in than a place to cure, it is the internet afterall.
  10. Ihatemyselfalot

I speak in general terms, I'm not asking why does this place exist, I'm asking why supposed support things exist.

All I get is the same fucking advice, get a hobby and exercise, basically...

You sleep and work all your life, you are sleeping and dreaming about a life free of all shit that civilization gives, then you go to work and piss away most of your day underneath florescent tubes typing into a computer around you dull dreary fucking colleagues, then you go talk to your friends who are then same, then you go out and try and find some fucking woman who doesn't really give a shit about you unless you are well off with money or are good looking whith a knob size which only 2% of the worlds men have, so later in life she will come to you when she has been left realizing she needs a stable dreary fucking guy like you in her life.
    I hate women, sexist? yeah, but you are a woman and I don't care what your shallow ass thinks, go suck a dick!, he might marry and provide for you.
    Women won't like me being the way I am, but I haven't always been like this, and I was a happy confident person during college, but even then they were all the same so fuck em.

Then in the times between that you can play a trumpet or draw a picture, but don't stay up too late doing it because it all repeats tomorrow.

Don't take that woman thing too personally ladies, because even if you are male, please note that if you are a human of either gender that I hate you, I hate you so much!!
    I laugh at pictures of genocide because hate this world and this fucking species and I hate you, I would take great pleasure punching you until your teeth fell out or watching your head split open as I push you under a bus.

I hate people and I hate life.

I have been trying soooooooooooo hard to make things better but the more I try, the more I realize that its fucking shit!

So I come to these places and go to therapists and when its about suicide, its never about anything other than:
    I have abour 40-50 natural years left on this planet, and its all about making it through them, no matter how much you hate it just make it through.
    Ya see I produce and consume things, and if I'm dead I don't, so they have t make sure that no matter how much I hate my life I'm here producing and consuming shit, then when I'm on my natural death bead, then I can fuck off and die.
  11. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

I came here...becase I was curious.

About what?I can't remember I was like 12.
  12. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

The problem is they've experienced something that we have a problem finding. Happiness. We all have our various reasons for being here. A past trauma. A current trauma. Or the fact that our brains are having a constant spaz.

What they are trying to do is keep us alive so we can feel happy.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not the 'OMG have flowers everyone and let's be happy blah blah blah' type. Most of the time I'd be dead a thousand times over if I had a gun or a means to end it quickly and efficiently.

But I've only just realised that I want to get to the point in me life where I actually like myself. I spend so much time thinking I'm ugly, and no one 'wants' me. All I want to feel is to be wanted, and happy. But of course, who doesn't want to feel wanted and happy?

At times all we have to do is wade through the pool of shit we find ourselves in. Here and there I feel like I'm getting somewhere, that I might be 'becoming' happy. But then it comes crumbling down, or something. I just need variation in my life. It's so stagnated and boring that my mind is basically killing itself out of boredom. But I don't really know what to do anyway. I'm that socially anxious it pisses me off.

SF has helped some of us feel as though we aren't alone. That there ARE others out there just like us. All we need to so is keep our minds active, because when we don't, well the shit hits the fan.
  13. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

It's easier to talk to people who are in the same boat as you and it helps a little.

I agree that the "go for a walk" "exercise" generic responses don't help but if you acutally talk to these people a little more you might find that the friendship helps. Someone to give a shit about you, y'know.
  14. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

why do people try to help? well when the depression lifts life is worth living and it is at that point you will see the value in these things.
  15. Blue_Sky

Blue_Sky Well-Known Member

A place to talk for people who have no one else to talk to. I was just looking for a place where I could relate, I feel inferior to everyone else becasue they all seem so functional, I find it somewhat comforting here, I feel like I can belong for once. These places are just for emotional support, advice, they're not going to solve your life's problems. The advice is going to be generic, it's a bunch of strangers, you can't give specific advice without knowing them personally and nobody is a trained psycologist or professional.
  16. GSaccountant

GSaccountant Member

Maybe this forum doesn't help. but knowing there is others that has the same "suicidal feeling" that does help me a little and make me curious. Why do you feel that way?

for me my future looks bleak and there are no therapist, noone to talk too, my family no help at all just giving me more headache with their demand for responsibility after all the problem that i had and i can't think any way to solve this.
  17. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Sitess like these are created for "like minds" it is NOT therapy here.....although the site is started by someone, it is the members that define its course.

We are not required to help each other but naturally with the commonalit of struggles/interest, there is a natural response to helping one another. Granted it doesn't always go that way...perhaps b/c it's 1 dimensional and/or in this case, many different types of mental health conditions.

But you sound like you need meds by your description of violence.
  18. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Support. I don't think i would ever would have seeked it offline. I was looking for pro suicide sites when i found this site. At the very least it keeps my mind busy.
  19. SuicidalAgain

SuicidalAgain Well-Known Member

I came here trying to find a "DO IT" site and not a "DON'T DO IT". And although my demons are telling me to kill myself, that there are no bright tomorrows, I'm glad I found this place. I haven't made any friends yet, but I like that we're sort of in the same place, somehow we're connected through the way we feel about our lives and this world. When we're isolated, which is a common addition to these feelings, we like to know that there are people feeling the same way, someone that will understand, that you can talk to and know that the other person can somehow relate to what you're saying.

There are a lot of things wrong in this world and this system. Our planet is giving it's last breaths thanks to all that consumerism you talk about. We go home, watch TV so the commercials can tell you that you suck if you don't have that new brand of shoes and the news can tell you that there is nothing in our world that is sane. And well, we will have to work to be able to afford the new brand of shoes so we can feel "happy" for awhile and then watch TV again and the cycle doesn't end.
  20. clairedelune

clairedelune Well-Known Member

you've said it all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.