Why do some people think there are benefits to loneliness?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ldub20, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

Loneliness is a death sentence and if you can't make it go away, killing yourself doesn't seem like a bad choice. There is nothing on this planet that could make ANY human being appreciate loneliness. Just like there are no drawbacks to having millions of companions.

2. Samara

Samara Account Closed

When you are alone, only YOU can hurt yourself. It gives oneself more control, in one sense, of what can or cannot happen. Around other people you have to compromise, perhaps not to your own benefit or desires. Around others you may have to sacrifice things you never wanted to, to keep them happy.

Being alone, also, does not immediately intend "loneliness". Just because someone is isolated, it does not automatically mean they feel lonely. A person who feels lonely is someone who seeks external fulfilment from others, in which case, obviously isolating themselves would be ironic then.

I also think that there are many things on the planet that can make someone want to feel alone, or want to be alone. Rape is a very strong example of something that would make someone appreciate the isolation, and appreciate the loneliness; because the want coming from others is what harmed them to begin with.

There, also, by the way, ARE drawbacks to having "millions" of companions. One of the major ones is never really knowing much about any of them, such a great number of people, means that you are unable to really get the time you need to understand and really know them all. It also means that the differences are much more vast, making a person outcast and more isolated.

Also, it means that there is intense competition, because there are just too many numbers, and only so many outcomes.

3. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

^What Samara said.

This guy is alone, but definitely doesn't strike me as lonely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

He's also one of my heroes... and is pretty much everything that a man should be--strong, capable, self-sufficient, intelligent, industrious and above all independent. If I could be like that, then I would be very, very happy with myself.

4. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I think there are benefits to not being trapped in a bad relationship... so in that sense, being alone might be preferable. Now for me personally, I probably wouldn't enjoy being completely alone for too long... it would be nice to get away from everything and everyone once in a while, but I'm not one of those people who wants to spend the rest of my life alone. That's fine for the people who do - more power to them. But I'd rather spend my life with somebody special and/or with a few good close friends. I am largely a solitary person, but I won't deny that I do crave human companionship.

As for having millions of companions... are you kidding me? That would be annoying as fuck. Excuse my French, lol. But seriously... there was a brief time in my later teenage years when I had a lot of friends - not necessarily good friends, but there were a lot of people that I partied with. Most of them got on my nerves after a while. I never got a moment of peace and quiet because they were always coming over to my house at all hours of the night wanting to party. It eventually got to the point that I had to start making up excuses for why I couldn't hang out with them. They were fun to talk to in small doses, but most people - unless you're extremely compatible with them - will start to get annoying after you spend too much time with them. I've known a few people over the years that I could literally spend all day talking to without ever getting annoyed or bored with them, but that's rare.

5. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

I respectfully find it hard to comprehend these responses. Having Asperger's and being powerless to make my loneliness go away provide no benefits. They give me a perfect reason to kill myself!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.