Why do the pretty and popular always win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnomymousX

Making this thread was pointless, I'm grateful for the replies though. In the end, I know where I'm gonna end. I know how I'm gonna end. It'll happen on my own terms, and it will be more than worth it.

plates

It could be because people are watching the wrong films, reading the wrong books and not thinking/questioning anything through and living empty automated lives. I frankly don't consider this to be a victory of any sort.

This is why I don't watch really any television.
Yeah, me too- it's full of vacuous BS.

Last edited by a moderator:

KittyGirl

-___-
In film? Really?

Because they are placed as the protagonists. Of course they will win if they are the ones the viewer is supposed to be sympathetic to. The 'good' guy will win.
The 'ugly' people are usually cast in roles as the bad guy, the evil ones, the bitchy stepsister--- or something.
It doesn't mean it's realistic.

Is every 'ugly' person evil?
If every 'pretty' person pure hearted? < hell no!
That is just the way they are portrayed in film.

PAST HIGHSCHOOL, the pretty and popular ones more than often do not win because they get pregnant right after highschool and their boyfriends work at gas stations for the rest of their lives.
The world after highschool really is not as biased as it is in films.

You are looking in the wrong places if you're still convinced this is the way things always work.

plates

-___-

PAST HIGHSCHOOL, the pretty and popular ones more than often do not win because they get pregnant right after highschool and their boyfriends work at gas stations for the rest of their lives.
The world after highschool really is not as biased as it is in films.

No, "a pretty and popular girl" is a human being and her future can be diverse.

If she did get pregnant she might love her child and boyfriend and consider herself lucky if she was in a loving relationship and happy.

Thinks didn't start working out relationshipwise for me until about my 3rd year of college, at that point I actually met a girl that all my friends thought was unattractive, but her personality drew her to me, and she's just about the best thing that has happened to me in years. Keep your head up! :rolleyes: High school relationships are nothing but a pain anyways!

They don't always win. Looks may seem most important, but they aren't, its just our stupid society that make it seem that way. Plus most of what people may be seeing in magazines, television, etc is all surgery and not who they really are. Also popularity does not always matter. If everybody in this world was the same, life would be boring. Does the fame and looks really matter when it all comes to an end? Will you're friends and family mainly remember you by how many times you dyed your hair, the clothes you wore, the number people you talked to, etc. NO. They won't care cause it wont matter anymore. They will remember your personality whether you were pretty and popular or not. So like I said, they don't always win. Everyone in this world has a chance to be somebody that nobody else can be, their selves. Life is not a competition.

I'm terrible at discussions and often get told I'm wrong.. but thats from my heart and beliefs.

I disagree about looks being unimportant, as they simply are.

An unpleasant reality perhaps, but good looking people get treated better even just on the street.

With that said before you label me superficial, personality is just as important but the looks will always make things easier.

As for them failing later on? I find that's just something that people who are bitter about not being in the popular category say to make themselves feel better.

They might fail, they might not. Just as the ugly, unpopular person might win, or might not.

The pretty and popular neither always win nor always lose in the end. It just seems that way.

It may seem that way, but they won't always be "pretty and popular". I was a pretty nerdy guy in high school, but I didn't let it hold me back. I but myself out there and made any friends and broke many cliques with my personality. I didn't change myself to fit in either. In all actuality I brought out people's "nerd".

I know it CAN be difficult to fit in at times, but don't ever break away from what's important. Your goals in life and your own personality. Unless your personality is set to be a conformist follower. Which I doubt anyone on this site is one of those.

Oh and btw I am Sefier (online name) I'm new. Nice to meet you guys. :D

Here is something I love.:pokeball:

Yes....

Gotta Catch 'Em All

Now look it's a SHEEP ! Oh noes run.:sheep2:

johnnysays

It's all in the mind. You have to overcome it in your head. Do you play roleplaying games? Ever noticed how (at least in my case) when you play big strong characters it makes you feel big and strong? Or when you play a lithe elf or halfling you feel like backstabbing enemies and even cleverly avoiding them to get their treasure? Or how when you play a strong character you feel a fatherly attachment to smaller characters (you want to protect them)? I don't know about you, but I think it's all in the head. You have to enable yourself. You have to blindly believe in YOU. Nobody else can do that. I say all this knowing full well that I am hypocritical. But I do feel this is true. You have to BELIEVE you can do something and then DO IT. Don't think yourself into a corner (I do that all the time).

And btw, I think it's self-assertiveness and being independent that makes men the most attractive. Looks can often semi-enable a man so that he has a headstart, but they won't get him all the way. The rest is all mental. And even a bad looking guy can get to the top and even get what he wants just by knowing that it's all mind over matter. Focus on YOU first by enabling yourself to be successful.

This sums up my post:
More people fail because they believe they're unable than people who fail because they believe in themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Untouchable

Before I declare my opinion on the matter, I'll tell you my own little high school story.

I finished high school about a year ago. These years were some of the worst in my life. I spent my freshman, sophomore, senior year going from one therapist to another, while at the same time, I didn't know if I would find my mom alive when I returned home (because of my dad's anger outbursts, then her drunk boyfriend's).

I was considered a pretty girl. I don't want to sound conceited or anything. I just want to get to a point. Yes, I did get attention from guys, but not the kind you'd want to get. Nobody actually treated me better, sometimes they treated me worse than less good looking people. I was really quiet throughout the whole school year, hardly able to make friends, and stuck to myself most of the time. I was very reserved and thought high school was a hell hole. I even dreamed of crushing down in a lot of terrifying ways. I just hated it.

I was bullied quite a lot. I was sexually harassed a couple of times by two guys in my class. They got away with it and no one did anything about it. I had made friends with a guy from my class, who was a looker but also the quiet type, and we got romantically involved but it ended tragically after he had to move far away. He wasn't popular despite his looks, and now that I think about it, our relationship would probably go downhill since we both were depressed and had complex thoughts far too often.

In total, so far, I've never won in my life because of my looks. Nor will I ever. There was a girl in my school, who was very popular, but she wasn't considered pretty. Still, she was terribly outgoing, easily made friends with people, and had a happy and smiley attidute that attracted people. Her boyfriend was the most good looking guy in the school, and she broke a lot of hearts on the longrun, I would know, because one of my friends, who was a guy, had a crush on her the whole time I was in school. Same goes for other guys in my class.

Looks are important, yes. I won't deny that they are not. But they are certainly NOT everything. The 70% goes to one's attidute, personality, and way of interreacting with other people. I'm not just saying that. It's been prooven. A very pretty girl could be much more unlucky with her social life than a girl, who, even though not pretty, knows how to handle social situations and charm people. And remember; charm is something everyone is capable of obtaining, good looking or not. And sometimes it's charm that makes someone attractive, rather than good looks.

Nyu

Before I declare my opinion on the matter, I'll tell you my own little high school story.

I finished high school about a year ago. These years were some of the worst in my life. I spent my freshman, sophomore, senior year going from one therapist to another, while at the same time, I didn't know if I would find my mom alive when I returned home (because of my dad's anger outbursts, then her drunk boyfriend's).

I was considered a pretty girl. I don't want to sound conceited or anything. I just want to get to a point. Yes, I did get attention from guys, but not the kind you'd want to get. Nobody actually treated me better, sometimes they treated me worse than less good looking people. I was really quiet throughout the whole school year, hardly able to make friends, and stuck to myself most of the time. I was very reserved and thought high school was a hell hole. I even dreamed of crushing down in a lot of terrifying ways. I just hated it.

I was bullied quite a lot. I was sexually harassed a couple of times by two guys in my class. They got away with it and no one did anything about it. I had made friends with a guy from my class, who was a looker but also the quiet type, and we got romantically involved but it ended tragically after he had to move far away. He wasn't popular despite his looks, and now that I think about it, our relationship would probably go downhill since we both were depressed and had complex thoughts far too often.

In total, so far, I've never won in my life because of my looks. Nor will I ever. There was a girl in my school, who was very popular, but she wasn't considered pretty. Still, she was terribly outgoing, easily made friends with people, and had a happy and smiley attidute that attracted people. Her boyfriend was the most good looking guy in the school, and she broke a lot of hearts on the longrun, I would know, because one of my friends, who was a guy, had a crush on her the whole time I was in school. Same goes for other guys in my class.

Looks are important, yes. I won't deny that they are not. But they are certainly NOT everything. The 70% goes to one's attidute, personality, and way of interreacting with other people. I'm not just saying that. It's been prooven. A very pretty girl could be much more unlucky with her social life than a girl, who, even though not pretty, knows how to handle social situations and charm people. And remember; charm is something everyone is capable of obtaining, good looking or not. And sometimes it's charm that makes someone attractive, rather than good looks.
Very well put :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00