Why do they make you sign a suicide waiver

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by wastedmylife, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I was made to sign a suicide waiver today, I pretty much hesitated beacuse I like my suicidal thoughts, then my therapist got her supervisior and he pretty much told me if I dont sign it they cant treat me and I am off to go on my own, do you think he would have let me go on my own even if I killed myself? He pretty much said if you are going to kill yourself we cant be responsible, I thought that was bold and shocking to hear from him

Is this for legal reasons, or maybe they dont want to feel guilty, if it is for legal reasons I would be more then happy to sign whatever waiver they want, now I feel guilty not being able to have my suicidal thoughts because if I did go through with it I would feel guilty towards them

And lets say I didnt sign the waiver and he pretty much told me to have a nice life and they wouldnt treat me anymore, do you think they would have gone through with this or called the cops or something, I cant imagine them leaving a suicidal person alone but I guess that was pretty bold of him

I guess if you dont want to be treated there is nothing you can do, however at the same time it is nice to be treated and have that option available, now I dont have that option cuz I'd feel bad

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

awe yea I know how you feel.
    I didn't have to sign a waiver but my therapist said I have to make a committment that I won't kill myself or else she can't work with me.
    But I mean, being suicidal is the reason I'm there, so when I first went there I was like, well can I talk about wanting to kill myself or is that going to be considered breaking my committment? But after the first day I was able to talk about suicide and how I still have thoughts, desires to end it, and it is completely fine.
    Hope things go ok with the person. Don't do anything you're uncomfortable with, but the waiver sounds harmless. I mean, it is really a meaningless thing if you think about it.
    :hug:

3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

They need to take all precautions when treating suicidal people. Sometimes families come back on them and sue them if something happens. It is also possible for them to lose their lisence to practice if it is found they didn't do everything possible to keep you safe.

4. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

so is the reason for legal reasons or guilt, if it is for legal reasons they should have some other waiver saying you arent responsible, for guilt whatever

5. I think it's probably for legal reasons, but I guess it depends on your therapist and her supervisor and how your clinic (or whatever organization it is) deals with suicidal people. I can imagine there being a clinic out there trying ot help people where those running it aren't qualified to deal with someone who is suicidal. Although I would think that if you didn't sign the waiver they would've sent you to someone who would treat you.

6. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

initially, i refused to verbally commitment myself to the therapist that i will not take action under her watch and she was ok with it until i self-harm and she went into damage control to the point of paronia and said i had to sign a form to respect our relationship. I mind didn't change on this matter but i signed it anyway for her to be at ease. I think it is more of proof for others if the circumstances places the therapist in question of their duty of care. I think it doesn't really change whether the client will or won't commit suicide because they signed a letter. When a client trust their therapist is a better guarantee then some letter.

7. Shad

Shad Active Member

I think they make you sign it because if you decide to call it quits it might dawn on you wait I signed a contract not too.
    Seriously I was in the ER one night Od'ed, And the Psych ward was filled and they had no room. And I realy was up for a stay. So the crisis guy said I could go home if I signed a waiver saying I wouldnt off myself.
    So I said everything he wanted to hear. KNowing that the piece of paper wasnt going to stop me. And I surely wouldnt tell him if I was going too.
    My view has changed some lately thou. Maybe if I talked about my thoughts like everyone else. Maybe I can work thru them. Instead of being bold headed and planning on the tell no one approach so I cant be stopped.

8. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Because lawyers suck and must be destroyed?

9. ConsolationPrizeFighter

ConsolationPrizeFighter Well-Known Member

They feel guilty definitely... at least my therapist did. its kind of a crutch, so you can make a short term promise and try to get through the tough spots. of course it is for legal issues, because it is a pretty obvious case to blame /sue the therapist who was treating somone who dies of suicide.

10. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

They are just covering there ass. They have alot of information on you and they could be brought up on charges if you commit. I have no problem signing because eventually I will go thru with it. Gina has nothing to do with my decision!! I had come up with this plan before I started seeing her. It has stuck with me thru 3 years of therapy!!
    I will leave a letter saying she was not to blame for what I did!! She has helped me quite a bit!! I wouldn't come out of my bedroom for nothing. After working with her, she has me getting out of the house for short periods. I still have panic attaks. She has taught me to set them aside to be deleeted. I try to replace the thought with a positive..:chopper:

11. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

The may have pleaded you to sign it for a combination of reasons.

1)The therapist thinks they don't have the ability to help you in the suicidal state you're in, and you are scaring her.

2)If you had said "no" it would have been a way for your therapist to transition you to an inpatient or outpatient program.

3)If you did sign it, the therapist would be able to converse with your family on the matter of your health, whether or not you gave them that allowance.

4)The therapist can use it in defense if they get sued.

12. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i had to sign a written no suicide agreement with my last therapist. she said that it was because in therapy her goal was to help me work towards life, and if i was still intent on killing myself then i was working towards death... basically the opposite of what we were trying to do in therapy. at first i dug in my heels and wouldn't sign. then i signed week to week. then after a few months, i signed month to month. it may not be a legal agreement (wouldn't lawyers have to be involved if so) but an signal of intent. if you couldn't or wouldn't sign, hopefully they would help you come to a place where you were comfortable signing rather than throwing you out the door.

13. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Signing that contract in no way changes the patient/doctor confidentiality policy. So please those of you who read that dont worry. You have to sign a document specifically allowing them to do so (unless you are under 16 then different countries have different policies). Personally they dont work for me. The first one I signed was to keep the therapist from worrying and the date that it was made for, I kept myself safe until then and then made my attempt the morning of it's expiration. The second one they asked me to sign, I quite honestly said, "what difference will it make to me, I'll be dead." They are basically used to keep people like me that value keeping your word to another as a tool to give the therapist more time and to cover their own asses. Some people it works for others it doesnt. Just another tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.