Why do we carry on

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Bruces, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruces

Bruces Well-Known Member

When we know things are unlikely ever to get better?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

...because that is a big unlikely. Your life can get better but you have to make the effort in wanting things to change and help ourselves while the professionals are helping us too. I no longer suffer with depression but when I did it was because of family,friends and that big unlikely I went on for. You have to keep thinking positive, that things will change and every day do something to change that. You must be positive :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

Because I'm not able to commit suicide. Though I suffer greatly and always wish that I was dead, I just can't do it.

4. Givinup

Givinup Member

I guess it's our human nature that we can't do it.. Instincts like animals who do everything to survive... I just wish that I wouldn't be so miserable and wouldn't feel this constant pain all the time.

5. Bruces

Bruces Well-Known Member

What if nothing ever does change??

6. Givinup

Givinup Member

I know you heard it before and it's hard to believe, but things will change with time.. You just gotta want it and do something about it... Now again I know it sounds stupid to you, it sounds stupid to me.. Because every second of my day no matter what I do I have tears in my eyes, my heart physically hurts, I can't eat, can't sleep... But hope dies the last.. Hope dies after we die.. So try and hope with me brother... Even they also say in my country that hope is te mother of idiots... Lets be the idiots, because there is not much else we can lose...

7. shadowonthewall

shadowonthewall Well-Known Member

Probably because, even though we hate our lives and prospects for improvement are dim, that still does not extinguish our powerful survival instinct. Combined with that, religious zealots have seen to it that it is not easy to find a quick and guaranteed method of dying (let alone painless).

8. Bruces

Bruces Well-Known Member

It's very odd we all die eventually,we have no choice in that but we seem prepared to put up with decades of misery before we do! Go figure!

9. shadowonthewall

shadowonthewall Well-Known Member

Yes, but I suppose that the human race may not have thrived without that irrational compulsion to continue living at any cost.

10. Bruces

Bruces Well-Known Member

I just don't get it I may have another 30 or 40 years of this crap then I'll die anyway,there's just no meaning to this existence!!

11. Bruces

Bruces Well-Known Member

I'm just so mentally exhausted from it all,why is it such a big deal to leave this world if it's so unpleasant?

12. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

The one way to be fairly certain nothing will ever change is to refuse to change anything ourselves. It is very easy when depressed to decide everything is too much effort and to decide it will not matter anyway - so just drudge on in the same way week after week and month after month until it stretched to years . We never decide to actually change because we convince ourselves it will not matter and then when it does not change we congratulate ourselves on being right.

Why do we carry on? Because most often there is a place inside us that know that "nothing can change is " is actually the bullshit line, and realizes that we could change if we were willing to put in the effort. And it does absolutely take effort because waiting and doing nothing is what takes all our energy exhausts us, so trying to find the energy to actually change something is sure as hell hard. But is can be done and we know it. The sooner stop waiting for it to spontaneously change on its own and to put the energy into making things change the sooner we can be in a a better situation. Spending every day hour after hour listening to the depression tell us that it won't matter so don't bother and fixate on the negative while taking no action is just the path of least resistance- and that yields no positive results.

If you do nothing today to make tomorrow better - then do not be disappointed with tomorrow

If you are going through the effort to carry on make the effort and pain of today have some meaning by thinking of even a tiny thing to do today that has at least a chance of making tomorrow better. Does not matter what it is- Lay out clothes tonight before bed, and fix coffee so in morning just push the switch and it will be ready to make tomorrow morning 1/10th of 1% better - but do something that will give tomorrow a chance to be different and better. Then tomorrow use that tiny bit of extra energy saved to do something a little more worthwhile to have an even greater impact on the next day. That is how to crawl out of the hole when it gets so deep you can't see the top. Eventually , you will be able to see the way out again. If you just pace around the bottom of the hole it just keeps making it deeper and deeper.

Take Care and Be Safe

- Ben

13. Bruces

Bruces Well-Known Member

But I find doing things doesn't alleviate the pain either it's just there all the time,plus my ocd prevents me from doing
    Certain things too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.