why do we die?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by emily83, Jul 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

figured i'd ask this and see what people come up with... any of you have any theories.

me personally?

i'm not sure i have a theory- i just find it a facinating question to ask

2. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I suppose this question could be answered many different ways. We die because we age, we die because our bodies are sick, we die to make room for other life, we die because we can no longer survive in our environment. I guess some would argue that death is another road we have to take, but I don't believe in that. I don't believe there is meaning or purpose - we simply die when our organs can no longer function.

3. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I believe we die because we were tricked out of ever lasting life through the rebellious Angel called the devil. By disobeying our Creator we have unknowingly signed our own death warrant, but of course to go along with that our Creator made a plan to save us and this is why we live. I found all these answers in the last place I expected to, the Bible. Great question! Blessings..

4. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Death is something that comes to us all, yet some creatures are essentially immortal, only dying through predation or disease.
    With humans the ageing problem is caused by the deterioration of DNA during cell reproduction.
    Programmed cell death is also a vital part of keeping us alive, it has also ben estimated that within 8 years every cell in your body has been replaced....
    Further to that, we are on a cellular level outnumbered by symbiotic bacteria....so we are only an estimated 10% ourselves. Reminds me of the ship of theseus.
    So first we need to forget the assumption that we are a singular being, we are more of a collection of organisms, functioning together. We could not survive without our silent companions.
    When we die, it is these silent companions that start to decompose our body.
    Anyway im just rambling...
    Death is due to us being the product of evolution. Evolution is a relatively blind process, so some animals are immune to cancer, others immortal, us...intelligent (which we pay for! just look at birth!)
    There is no rhyme nor reason to life or death. In fact the whole idea is rather laughable! Its like looking at a stone, which gets up, walks around for a while before ceasing to do so...All we are is that rock. We are simply a piece of the universe capable of consciousness. As carl sagan said, We are the universe looking at itself. We are a way for the universe to know itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.