Why do we do it?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Lovecraft, Dec 1, 2008.

?

Why?

1. The Pain

32 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. The Blood/Scars

25 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Punishment

38 vote(s)
    55.9%
  4. Other

30 vote(s)
    44.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Well, why is it that you cut? Is it the sensation of pain? The sight of the blood pushing out of your wound? Is it a punishment?

2. JustSam

JustSam Well-Known Member

why the hell not?

3. p3cky

p3cky Account Closed

i do it for the pain i hate the scars i hate it when people see them they don't even have to say anything just the look on there face is bad enough. but i am acutaully sure why i do it it makes me feel good but the next day i regret sometimes i find my self laughing whilist doing it weird how the brain and body works.

4. HarleyTwin

HarleyTwin Staff Alumni

I haven't done it for a while now until recently, but I do/did it for a number of reasons. When I used to do it much more frequently it was punishment, the scars, and pain. However, the pain part wasn't towards myself. I guess in some sense, I wanted to show people "Look, I'm already damaged, leave me alone you don't need to make it worse". I don't know, I was a stupid teen. (No offense to any teens out there, I was just a profusely stupid one)

It was sort of like reverse psychology. Like, you can't hurt me anymore than I already am, so you can stop piling on the crap now. Didn't work though, so after a while I gave up, and used it for release. It was also a way for me that if I was angry, I took it out on myself rather than others. I'm a bit of a doormat and wimp really. So if I feel angry, I feel guilty for being angry, even if they're being the biggest asshole on the planet.

5. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

i used to use it as a punishment, but now i just... like it. it makes me forget stuff for a while because all i'm concentrating is the pain, the blood and looking after it. it's very difficult to sum it up into one reason because there are different reasons every time.

6. Dana..

Dana.. Well-Known Member

Punishment and for the pain.
    thats all.

7. Nicole_O91

Nicole_O91 Active Member

I do it cause if I punish and hurt myself, thats well hurt I can cause to other people. I don't want to be seen as a hurtful person, someone who inflicts pain, so if I only inflict it on myself, then it's not hurting anybody.

8. Denikin

Denikin Well-Known Member

Relief.

9. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

I do it partly because I like seeing the blood. I also do it because I feel that no one likes me for the way I look so I minus well make it easier.

I find the lonelier I get, the deeper I'm going.:unsure:

10. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

All of the above.

But main reason is pain.

11. jam1e

jam1e Guest

The scars make you look a freak and piss me off, but god i get a high from the blood! Especially if i hit a good sized vein! Zing!!!!:laugh:

12. emack54

emack54 Well-Known Member

I do it to try and get rid of the emotional pain and sometimes I cut just to cut..its really strange

13. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I take lots of pills as a form of SH. I do it mainly because I hate myself, and I feel when I'm taking pills that every pill is another part of me destroyed.Idk... lol

14. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I love the blood high! Which I suppose is partly the problem. But I like the pain,too. And I'm proud of the scars---another problem, I suppose. Cutting my wrists takes the emotional energy pushing me to suicide and cuts it away. So it's a tool to get rid of the suicide compulsion.

The blood leaving the wound makes me feel good. Watching the blood pool down my arm into my hand and then dropping onto the floor also makes me feel good.

The scars give some testament to something I'm doing with my day--I mean after six plus months of heavy depression, isolation, academic failure, economic failure I need something to prove that I existed during those times.

I dislike the moment when a person first realizes that I have multiple scars vertically moving up my arm and horizontally along the crutch of my elbow, but I 'm a candid person soI don't mind people knowing I struggle with serious depression and suicidal compulsions.

Plus, I find myself not having the desire to hurt or kill myself so long as my arm is healing from a particularly deep cut--one with lots of scabbing and residual soreness.

But because of all my cutting my nerves twitch, I get the sensation of my hand falling asleep more often, and my grip while strong lacks a lot of sensation.

15. depressedGirl

depressedGirl Well-Known Member

Sorry but I do it for most of them although I hate the scars

16. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

I mainly hit things, although I'll get into biting and using things like can openers and nail clippers when I'm really wound up. I do it for the adrenaline rush. I feel sub-human at the best of times, so I've learned to revel in it. Alcohol and loud music help set the mood immensely. It's all superficial and in places that won't be looked at too closely--backs of my hands, shins, shoulders, etc.

17. weltunter

weltunter Member

Rage and punishment. I use it as a means to make the rage stop by inflicting physical pain on me, and the ugly scars and pain from healing is my punishment for having let my rage consume me in the first place.

Though nowadays it fails to quench this rage ....

18. Breathe Me

Breathe Me Member

Because it's the only thing I know.

19. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I have been trying to understand why people cut themselves since I joined SF and I still don't really understand it.

20. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

i find that its the only form of punishment i can give myself
    theres so much i feel that im at blame for and also want to get out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.