Why do we do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avarice

I'm having a hard time trying to figure something out lately. It's about SF. People come here when they're feeling suicidal. In fact, I think it's safe to say that pretty much all of us here have felt like taking our own life at some point and felt as low as low can be. We've all felt the need to be rid of our suffering and pain and longed to feel the release of death.

So then.. why do we stop other people from taking their life? Don't get me wrong - I don't think that we should encourage it; definitely not. But.. we go on about how glad we'll be when the end of the world comes, the need for euthanasia clinics, how much we want to end our own lives.. yet we stop other people from doing it. Why? We're hypocrites. Why are we trying to keep other people alive.. keep them suffering and in pain for longer? Why do we tell them to keep holding on, to get help, when we know that isn't what they want; isn't what will help end their suffering.

As said.. I'm not saying that we should encourage the taking of ones life, I just keep seeing these people posting about how they're feeling suicidal and not being able to say anything. How can I tell them not to do it when I know how they feel? When I know that even if they get through it today, there'll always be a next time. I feel like I can't help anybody here until I figure this out.

I don't think that anyone really wants to die, they just want to not be in pain anymore.

so not killing yourself gives you an opportunity to get better. I think that most people who feel suicidal get to a point where they feel better

sometimes that happens because they get treatment or therapy. sometimes they are able to resolve an issue with a personal relationship or a practical matter. sometimes things get better over time

i disagree
getting help does decrease suffering
many people here have depression, some bipolar, some ptsd. all undiagnosed and untreated. with treatment (usually meds and therapy) your life can turn around.
i have been suicidal, have made three attempts, and right now can say i am so glad i never succeeded.
it's possible to be suicidal and to recover from those feelings. that's why i encourage people to stick around.

pppqp

I have these same doubts myself. I agree that people who suffer from depression and bipolar have their ups and downs and should be talked out of committing suicide because their pain is a medical condition and temporary. But it's another thing for those who are facing real unsolvable problems.

Monoka

I understand where your coming from but i also agree with dazzle.
people commit suicide out of pain, to get away. but if treated and understood the pain begins to go away.

depression is a medical illness, and if someone broke their legs then at that instant it would be reasonable for them to want to die, to escape the pain. but in the long run it was completely irrational, depression is like broken legs- but the morphine takes longer to kick in.

Avarice

depression is a medical illness, and if someone broke their legs then at that instant it would be reasonable for them to want to die, to escape the pain. but in the long run it was completely irrational, depression is like broken legs- but the morphine takes longer to kick in.
But what if it never kicks in? What if it never gets better? Years and years of pain and problems that won't go away; what do you tell people in a situation like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00