Why do we hate ourselves?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by iwillbeok, Jan 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwillbeok

iwillbeok Active Member

I don't understand why so many of us hate ourselves.

I hate me. I call myself stupid, idiot, moron, and dumb ass constantly. I cut myself. I throw up food that I love. I drink a shitload of beers so I can cry. I absolutely HATE myself.
    But I'm a good person!! I know I am. But I hate me.

Do you hate yourself?

2. LILICHIPIE

LILICHIPIE Well-Known Member

I hate myself for causing so much pain to my family.
    I hate myself for not being able to cope with my depression for 7 years now.
    I could have had anything but this *ucking desease is eating me

3. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

You described me, how I was this past year. And yeah I hated myself. I hated myself for not being able to do what others can do. I hated myself for not having any friends and feeling like a failure in this sense. I hated myself for being unable to cope with an unstable sister, I hated myself for not being able to 'save' my family, I hated myself for having to leave home, I hated myself for being 'weak' and withdrawing from a course, I hated myself for feeling alienated from the one place I thought I felt slightly okay (university) and the world in general, I hated myself for not being able to go back to the course, I hated myself for not being able to approach people, I hated myself for being scared of people, I hated myself for hiding all the time. I hated my pathetic self harming routines. I hated feeling unloved. I hated feeling empty. I hated wasting my time and dissociating because I couldn't take the anxiety over whether I could start my degree or not...I don't know.

But then I realised I didn't need to do all those things. Mainly I read a book in the summer my girlfriend had 'Nobody Passes'..which made me think a lot and I found myself relating to it a lot. And my girlfriend has helped me realise we both are different and we both aren't going to fit into the world and I'm glad I have someone like that in my life. I've also gone through a lot these few months which has made me stronger in a lot of ways..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  4. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Depression makes one hate oneself and feel useless and incapable and stupid.

5. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I hate myself but above that I disgust myself.

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I love myself actually... Maybe you should try it sometime. :)

7. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

I don't hate myself, in fact I don't "hate" any one or thing. My father taught me what a strong and final term hate really is. That if you truly hate, it's permanent & negative. Sort of like a fingerprint.
    Strongly dislike, find repulsive, etc. can be used as substitutes. Hate is something the world has far too much of, so I avoid it the use or thought of it.

8. danni

danni Chat Buddy

sometimes it depends for me on like what i did or something.

9. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

YeAH I hate myself. i hate every decision I've made in my life. I hate the fact that i have to live this life.

Fuck. i look back and can't believe how badly I fucked everything up.

10. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

I don't hate myself. Hate is a very strong word with a very strong meaning behind it.

Whether we hate ourselves or not, I think people try to aim for self admiration and care for one self.

11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

i hate myself, because i am a useless, fat , arrogant piece of sh*t.

12. Rusted-Soul

Rusted-Soul New Member

Because I have nothing to be proud of, and I am a constant failure. My friends and family have left me emotionally, and I can understand why.
    I hate myself with the purest hate I've ever felt for anything.

13. livingonlight

livingonlight Active Member

Some people have mental illness that cause them to hate themselves, make bad decisions and want to end their lives.:sad:

14. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

God "I hate myself & I wanna die, and it's this cruel world's fault. I was raised by the world-never a single person-many many, fuck=ups tought me how to be one. Now I need drugs-most of the time-to stay alive..... but I know the drugs will kill me. The thing that I love is the thing that will kill me.... I am in love w/ killing myself.......... I was tought rather well, it seems.... I've been in a coma, I've come so close..... yet I want to create, create out of my hatred for this world. Create to put my hatred to good use-to be productive-I can be a positive person, if I want to. So why do I hate myself? I'm far from perfect......... I am my own worst critic/enemy. I know I'm holding myself back.... that part of me needs to die-quickly-so I can put the peices together again. I haven't HATED MYSELF FOREVER

15. Bellpower20

Bellpower20 New Member

I hate myself because I try so hard to be "normal", but I"m not. I always say the wrong thing or make the wrong decision. I imagine myself living life like everyone else, but in reality, I'm just wearing a mask that constantly falls off.

16. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

You guys have to start loving yourselves, then you will start enjoying life. It's not that hard really.

17. Blackness

Blackness Guest

No, I don't hate myself. sure I abuse myself, but I don't hate her...

18. poison

poison Well-Known Member

i remember a thread exactly like this a while ago. here's my answer, plain and simple: we hate ourselves because we do not feel we are worthy of love.

19. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

It's not that easy by the same token. I'm happy with who I am, yet it doesn't stop me feeling low at times.

20. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

We are elements of a group. There are limited resources, there is limited territory. Because of this some individuals will have to dissappear, to make way for others. The group creates certain parameters that have to be fulfilled in order to gain the right to live and a right to resources and territory. the utmost importance of these parameters is socialized (=internalized) by the individual elements of the group. When the individual feels he can not fulfill the parameters, he feels "guilty" or "ashamed". Shame is the desire to dissappear ("i wanted to sink through the ground").
    We hate ourselves because we have to dissappear, to make way for those who don't feel ashamed or depressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.