why do we have life?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by emily83, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

following up to my other question... just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

why are we born and given a life, just to have it taken away from us?
  2. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Why? can't wait to hear these answers.

I'm assuming you mean from a concious perspective. Or do you mean biological? They're pretty different stand points, one goes to "god" and heavens, another goes towards "the moment the universe was created". Why implies reason, be it direct, or indirect.

Not too sure what sorta framework you're more interested in. There's loads, but scientific understanding(however limited) tends to bring about a more realistic understanding of how life on this planet has evolved over a select number of years. You get more theoretical opinions the further back you go when it comes to the creation of this planet, the solar system, galexy/universe ect.

Religion tends to have soft relaxing suggestions for this, which tbh I think is irresposible and manipulative. But that's my opinion. My true opinion is you are here now, and you make the why for yourself. If you find more in life, that could be another part of your why.

To ask why we conciously are mortal, on a biological aspect it's because our growth and development have a limit. There's nothing I am aware of in this universe(or should really say on this planet) that doesn't break down with time. But in reality that is from our perspective. Not a single person contributing to discussions like these has died. (being resuscitated doesn't count, you're still biologically active, you're simply getting a external stimulus to jump start your biological functions). So in essence, no one truly knows if what we have now is taken away, or what happens.

There's alot more opinions, like we're all part of one overall substance constantly moving and shifting. Which is sorta true considering all the elements that go into the building blocks that make our bodies and brain structures.

:| there's loads of opinions. I call them best fitting conclusions for individuals who need to concrete these questions. No one knows though.
  3. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

If we are here for a reason, religiously viewed or not, I think there is something to be said for the fact that we are here, as who we are. If there is a reason, it can't be too far off of be ourselves and do what comes naturally right?
  4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

The meaning of life (i.e., "Why are we here?") has been a question since, quite possibly, the beginning of time. It is likely that we will never really know why we are here, but while we are here we can live it as best as we can.
  5. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

All living things die. You can't live if you can't die. Rule for all decomposing organic matter. It's better view the meaning life with the inclusion of all other living things, too: suns, insects, animals, plants, bacteria, etc. Humans aren't the only things that have life.
  6. Eugene2013

Eugene2013 Banned Member

These answers are not neccessarily facts, rather a combination of facts, opinions, and perspective.

1. We are born for two reasons: first off our biological parents made luv luv and then there's the impregnation and so on and so forth, nine months later out comes a he or a she. Additionally our souls/spirits were created by either God or Satan, the latter of which supposedly is responsible for the entire LGBTQAP community (Q=Questioning, A=Asexual, & P=Pansexual). Both of these reasons for being born are out of our control, and I think it's highly un-fair that such is the case. I for one grossly hate my life, I'd rather die and start over a different human altogether.

2. On the subject of being given a life, read # 1 again. Some additional info is that it's our parents to blame for being given a life, so is both God/Satan for the soul aspect. On the God side of things, we're given a life to make this world a better place and maintain it. On Satan's side, we're here to destroy the world. So far, Satan rules Earth, not God.

3. It's only 'taken' away from us when some mortal wound or illness is dealt to us that's beyond our control. However, when there are things in our power that can be prevented, it's a 50/50 shot. %50 chance we'll do something to correct it before we're hurt/killed or a %50 chance we'll do nothing and let nature take it's course. Then there's the power to end our own lives. For us, that's not being taken, but to our loved ones (if there are any), they'll feel like we were taken from them.

Ultimately the holder of the true answer is God but the son of a ***** wont tell us. I hate him.

7. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

Well isnt this a question that brings out the human ego.
    Life simply is, there has never been a "reason" and the purpose is rather obviously written into the genes of every living thing.

What external source, excluding other people has ever given you any reason to believe that life is something that requires reason?
    If i remember correctly it was twain who said "what power we have, that two people can conspire to force god to create a new soul" (that is paraphrasing)
    There need be no god, no superior being.
    In fact on the topic of superiority, i was talking to a friend earlier who was making claims about how humans have changed the face of the earth. I scuppered his argument with a simple question, what colours is the earth as seen from space...took him a while to figure it out.

We are merely another animal, we have as much reason as the next microbe. Which by the way, foreign microbial cells outnumber your bodies cells by over ten times....so to claim there is a reason for your existence is to then claim the symbiotic microbes have reason for existence and following from that, all microbes....yet you folk are still disinfecting everything in sight, killing of life forms that have a reason and purpose to be here...how cruel you all are!
  8. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

^^ yeah that's why some people go a tad bit nuts when adhering to balance to all forms of life. Theoretically we're destroying "cities/planets/universes" to micro organisms. And in the same breath creating an environment for new organisms to thrive. Mushy mushy. Our bodies have developed to consume, which if related to "reason" would mean we are punished to destroy so we can survive, or lifeforms are place on a hierarchy scale of importance relative to some "affiliation" to a higher power.

Great shit for laws and definition of ego. It's funny how so many claim certain things, but when you really look at what they're generalizing, the laws/logic/spirituality they spew usually contradicts itself and cores to some ego jack off session that puts them next to "god" minus a few imperfections or something like that.
    Bit horrific though to take things into consideration, with every motion and breath life is dying, and growing. Our actions effect our environments dramatically depending on how much you look into it. Sorta where the justifications for the future come into play, and human rationals become so rampant. Or the justification for it doesn't matter. Finding a balance overall can be difficult especially when two conscious individuals are concerned, and then it can turn to abuse when a lifeform is born into that "community" because it is imposed understandings rather than experienced and chosen responsibilities. If they are even considered responsibilities to said individual(s).

That being said, I do like seeing what people care about. Nice to see the care, even if I don't agree or understand it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2013
  9. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

that's sort of my point

why do we live in the first place.. surely it's some kind of sick joke
  10. poison

poison Well-Known Member

Some ramblings on this matter...

1. Just because something is temporal does not mean it is not worth pursuing. For example, the pleasure that I will receive from having sex with my girlfriend or petting my dog might be fleeting, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it while it lasts or that I shouldn't enjoy it while it lasts.
    2. The reason we exist is because people that existed before us felt the need to have children or just ended up having them on accident.
  11. Pip28

Pip28 Well-Known Member

Why are we born and given a life, just to have it taken away from us?

From my materialist mind: -

1. Why are we born?
    We are born because our parents had sex to reproduce, and they passed down the genetic material which induced them to reproduce which they got from there parents and so on. This is simply an evolved state.

The species that didn't evolve a need to reproduce simply became extinct along with their genetic blueprint so the fact that we are here is evidence of the evolutionary benefit of reproduction.

2. And given a life?
    This question presumes reason or a "giver"; I have never seen a single piece of evidence to suggest a reason to life, or a single piece of evidence to suggest a "giver" exists.

3. To have it taken away
    There is evidence of an evolutionary explanation for death in which harmful random mutations are mopped up in the young but not the elderly, this is because a species' survival rests on youthful individuals; natural selection shouldn’t favour harmful mutations that affect the young.

In contrast, only a few individuals survive to old age, so evolution won’t be so efficient at mopping up mutations that are harmful to the elderly.
  12. MotorGoat

MotorGoat New Member

Perhaps we exist because of ourselves.
  13. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I believe in the answers I have found. Pre-fall mankind like all else living was made to grow and thrive under the loving care of the Creator described in the Bible. We were made to rule over and take care of this beautiful planet with all that's in it in with the same love and care that we are shown. After fall- Yahweh continued to reward those who obeyed with this task. Then a new purpose was added as the world forgot Him and life became a mission to revealing Himself to us through His chosen people so that when we can turn back to His intent and live happy prosperous lives as His obedient children instead of His enemies.
    Why do we die? Our days are numbered because of our own choices, and the corruption that follows. But death doesn't have to lead to destruction nor be the end of our existence. That's the point of His plan to save us so that we can have part in the world to come that is perfectly obedient to His original intent. At least this is what I chose to believe. Blessings..
  14. flowers

flowers Senior Member

so many answers here to a very good question. I think that it is important to never be positive we know the answers. I am always wary of a closed mind when someone is sure they know the answers. Keep asking the great questions. And continue sifting through what you think may be the answers. I have read so many good ideas here on what people think or feel. I hope you never become so sure of the answer that you close your mind to all other possibilities. Perhaps a mind that is open to possibilities allows for endless opportunity for expansion.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2013
  15. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Why do we have life?

Complex series of chemical reactions on a molecular level that made molecules defined by our definition as "alive" that were then mutated by irradiation from sun to diversify for a billion years or so.... this mutation includes biological needs to procreate and also limit life span because it allows for faster evolving of species to to have shorter generations and and more frequent opportunities to diversify or mutate more....
  16. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I believe questions are a good thing. There are answers and you can find them. To me finding the answers ties into the meaning of life. I highly recommend that everyone search out the answers, and trust that you will find them. I never thought that I would until I looked in the last place that I expected to find them, and with an open mind. I am so glad that I did. Trusting in the answers I have found have enhanced my purpose and I am thriving in my own personal growth because of it. Nothing is holding me back anymore. I am no longer stuck on these questions because I trust the answers I know and hold as truth. I have complete peace in my faith/trust in my spiritual walk. I believe these answers are THE answers. Some may think it's dangerous or foolish to have the trust I have but it isn't something that isn't backed up with proof. It's proven everyday. So in short don't lose hope. Finding answers in life is enjoyable in the sense that's it's an adventure to learn and discover who we are as individuals and how we fit into the mix of this life. At least that's how I look at life. Blessings..
  17. angelicgoddessofdeath

angelicgoddessofdeath Active Member

I believe we live in order to die. What we do in between is entirely up to us for the choosing.
    I don't believe we have a purpose or reason to live. I think we just do.
    To live is to die and to die is to live. To me life is a big ying yang where everything ebb and flows.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.