Why do women (strangers) smile at guys?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Shogun, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I haven't had a girlfriend in a very long time and I'm kinda out of the loop. I don't consider myself attractive, although I used to get told I am a lot when I was younger (I'm 29 now) and to be honest, I'm really shy around women.

But lately I've noticed quite a few different women smiling at me for no reason. Just out and about. I'd like some female opinions, what reasons could be behind women smiling at men who they don't know? Is it just being polite? Or are they attracted to me? Would a woman smile at an ugly stranger?

Here's the scenario for todays situation. I was locking my bike up outside a supermarket and this old guy was sitting right infront of me with this really cool dog, pitbull I think. Then (what I assumed was his daughter) came along and her bike was parked/locked up next to mine, she said a few words to the old guy and proceeded to unlock her bike. I was going about my business locking my bike up. I was bent down putting the lock on and you know when you can just feel eyes on you? I looked up and this really attractive woman who was about 2 feet away from me looked right into my eyes and smiled really sensually. I could've read it wrong regarding the sensual part, but she definitely smiled right at me. And it was a broad, warm smile.

I tried smiling back, but I'm useless at that kinda thing and it probably came out wrong :D and I just locked my bike up and went into the supermarket.

There was a time a few weeks ago I was in a Vietnamese restaurant with two of my friends and a woman was sitting alone and she was constantly looking over at me and smiling too.

In none of these cases have we ever exchanged a word, just smiles.

This probably all sounds retarded, but I'm so not used to women finding me attractive these days. When I was a kid/teenager, girls used to throw themselves at me. But I don't go out much anymore and I've also had a lot of negative comments about my appearance too and I'm severely insecure.

So women, do you smile at strange guys and if so, is it just out of politeness? What other reason could there be for doing it?
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I smile at strangers out of politeness and if I think they are attractive. :tongue:

I think that woman in the restaurant probably fancied you..because you don't 'keep looking' out of politeness :laugh:
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

That's a good point actually, but I just have a hard time believing women find me attractive. I dunno....
  4. A girl

A girl Guest

Girls generally smile because they find you attractive, or they've noticed you smiling and like the ego boost.
    In your case it seems they both fancied you. :)
  5. colt45

colt45 Well-Known Member

I jsut think that they do because they try to show some kind of sincerity when it si actually just meaningless.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
  6. Tavil

Tavil Well-Known Member

That must be nice women don't do that for me.

To answer your question I'm going to assume its out of courtesy.
  7. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Either they dig you or they're teases.

Could be either or.
  8. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Usually cuz your fly is down!
  9. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Uhh I've never seen that happen. Just about all of the girls I'm around are all bitches.
  10. Ptitz

Ptitz Well-Known Member

probably just means youre horny. i get it all the time. you smile at them, they smile back.
  11. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

People usually smile at each other out of politeness and to create a pleasant atmosphere. Maybe your frown makes them want to try and put a smile on your face. :)
  12. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Ease up on yourself. It seems that women find you more attractive than you think is possible. Accept the compliment of their smile and smile back - maybe even ;) :)
  13. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I smile at someone if I accidently catch their eye, or sometimes I just smile at people if I think they look quite sweet (call me crazy!).
    But I don't keep looking unless they're attractive...
    Besides mr, you're on my msn - even though I haven't managed to catch you on there for a while, and I've seen your pic, so I know you're attractive. :)
    Def don't sell yourself short! I'm sure they fancied you.
  14. plates

plates Well-Known Member

erm. i (think) i smile at them if they look at me like a puppy today a boy in a red and black flannel shirt smiled at me like i was his lost love. really, i dunno who he was. :unsure:

i smile at people in general if they are friendly and seem safe and smile and talk to me, loads do. but i can sense 'weirdness' from a long distance and then i'm not smiley at all :rolleyes: lets say, fucking idiots going AAAAAGH and WOOOO at me from the car then i'm not smiley at all.

from your OP, it sounds like, maybe, you don't see yourself as attractive and others do. i have had the same problem for years.
  15. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

All of the above could be correct. It's too difficult to determine from a description like that. The women getting her bike could have been in a good mood and may have been sensually thinking about something else while she was looking at you, for all we know. Two helpful things to consider are that you're not always the center of attention, even at times when people are looking at you, and two, you're probably not "dirt ugly" or "supremely attractive," but well balanced, like most of the rest of the world.
  16. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I'm not female but I've found women usually don't go out of their way to be overly polite unless they're flirting with you. I've had a few of them do it even recently (Which I can't figure out because I'm definitely worse for the wear) and I usually make a fool out of myself by not knowing how to respond. It's an enormous compliment, of course but with my self-esteem and actually knowing I'm fairly useless, I just think "If she really knew me, she wouldn't think I was attractive at all".

Anyway, maybe you should try to strike up a conversation if it happens again. You never know. Could be something really good for you. If it was just a friendly smile and it didn't mean anything, she'll let you know.
  17. christian_1990

christian_1990 Well-Known Member

women/girls smile all the time, but about the atraction "game" i cant help you i dont know shit about that LOL
  18. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Probably just being polite. I get it too sometimes, but then if I try smile back it comes out all wrong, like a forced gargoyle-like smile.
  19. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Maybe they are just gassy. I giggle when I fart too.
  20. Svelte Bat

Svelte Bat Guest

I think the best answer [combined from all of the other replies] is "Politeness" and "attraction" to the person (stranger) that the woman is smiling at.

If this bothers you as a male you may wish to do what I do: Not smile back and hold a straight face. The woman will immediately lose her smile and avoid you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.