why do you lock so many threads?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by ybt, Apr 30, 2007.

1. ybt

ybt Guest

One reason I get so annoyed with SF is this locking of threads... if you didn't guess what I was on about by the title... :rolleyes:

Obviously SF has things which aren't allowed where the topic should be closed right away, ie asking for methods and perhaps revealing information and things of that nature...

But one thing I can't stand is threads that just immediately get locked for no reason because they're worried it might escalate into something. Or whatever.

The main issue is they never ask. They just close and say THE FINAL WORD. The mod or admin has the final word. Again, in some cases this was needed.

I'm bad with examples, so I'll just use one from personal experience, my most recent thread about getting banned from chat (and I'm not complaining about the ban). I implied on the thread I didn't know I was breaking a rule. Then somebody locked the thread with "this thread has been locked. bunny told ybt to stop and ybt persisted."

1) i didn't even know i was doing something at the time which severely broke the rules. i know giving out methods is not allowed, and i apologize greatly for doing it, but you're falsifying the whole thing

2) by locking the thread which isn't obvious why it was locked, coupled with essentially "ybt is to blame", it gives me no opportunity to defend myself publically. it has been argued "mods are people too". Absolutely, yes. So why does this one "person" get to have the final say in the other "person"'s thread, when there were no personal attacks, no methods, everybody being quite polite?

I understand the want and the need to keep its members safe, something it does quite admirably. But you can't cut it off there, it's ridiculous. Thank you.

2. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I had nothing to do with that chat incident, and I didn't post in the thread you mentioned either. However from my point of view, it is better to be safe than sorry. Lately there have been a fair few disagreements between members, and staff too, and when a thread begins to escalate, I've found that people tend to question why the staff did not close the thread BEFORE it escalated. Hence, by closing threads, I believe that some of the potential disagreements are stopped before they get worse.

Also, if you have a problem over a thread being closed, it was closed for a reason obviously, so it might be a good idea to keep that in mind...or you can of course PM a staff member and ask them about it.

TDM

3. ybt

ybt Guest

the chat thing i honestly don't care about, that's over and done with. i'm not pushing my own agenda here.

yes, it's best to be safe rather than sorry, but they could ask first before closing threads

4. on my own

on my own Well-Known Member

I agree, I was really annoyed by the fact that there was a thread where my name was used and pretty much dragged thru the mud about stuff that I didnt even do (as a matter of fact, the person who did it and me are friends now after we spoke about it) and I found the treat locked so I couldnt defend myself anymore...

EDIT -
    a request I made about removing my name from the thread wasnt heard either... -_-" I just found that out

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
  5. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

I'm sorry, onmyown. You can't request for another members post to be edited if it doesn't contain something that breaks the rules.

Many appologies for not pming you about that.