Why do you smoke?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by blackfire, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfire

blackfire Well-Known Member

I was just wondering how many of us smoke. How long have you been smoking and why did you start?
  2. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I smoke like a chimney, I hate it but can't stop. I've been smoking since I was 15 and at my worst can smoke 3 packs a day. :sad:
  3. Malcontent

Malcontent Staff Alumni

I smoke, not sure how many a day. Over 10 though for sure. Been smoking since I was about 18. I've found that if I try to stop I cut. So for now it's the lesser of two evils I guess
  4. BeenThere

BeenThere Guest

I HATE SMOKING! but i do it anyways.I smoke over 10 a day but i also share my smoke with my girlfriend.That is my one real weakness.I started smoking at the age of 18.Funny thing is i used to hate everything about smoking.It started when my girlfriend used to try to light a cig when she was driving (oh god that was scary!) so i used to just start them for her....then i wanted to try a drag....then i started to smoke lol.
  5. blackfire

blackfire Well-Known Member

I started smoking when I was 18, just because I wanted to. It was also legal then. I smoke once in awhile, usually just socially. I alos hated smoking and the idea of it. Then curiosity got the better of me.
  6. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

first smokes were when I was under 10 with my cousin, reason was just to be rebellous with him.. didn't start smoking regularly until around 12 or 13, reason was to be cool with the other kids doin it.. now I am 28, I have quit a few times for anywhere from 1 month to 2 years, but always started again... currently I only smoke about 1/2 a pack a day, for they are far to expensive here in Alberta, the brand I smoke costs nearly $12 a pack of 25 smokes.. yuck...
  7. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Started smoking when I was 15 - 40 yrs ago - and find that I'm the world's worst bitch when I try to quit: crabby beyond the realm of tolerance and feel horrible. What an addict...:sad: I've found that nicotine relaxes me and perks me up - at the same time. My mom's been at me for years to quit but I just can't give it up - I'd rather do without anything else. I know in my head that I should give it up, but my bloodstream says "don't"...:dry:

8. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

You could go on the nicotine patch and at least not get all the other harmful effects of smoking. I know it's hard to give up an addiction, though.
  9. sorry_mozart

sorry_mozart Well-Known Member

"I smoke 'cause I'm hoping for an early death, and I need to cling to something ..."

(from 'What She Said' by The Smiths)
  10. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I smoke more when I am stressed.. it's a way for me to cope... Don't know why.. :unsure:

11. Just_Me

Just_Me Member

i do it because it relieves my stress. I haven't done it in a month my mom quit. It helps me alot
  12. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

i smoke because i like the taste. i won´t lie i smoke more when i´m nervous but i do it because i like how it taste. i started about almost 6 years ago (i´m 18 now)in a party, no one offered me, i just ask for some. i smoke about 10 or 12 ciggars a day.
  13. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I did smoke ocassionaly months ago, i tried using it as a way to stop overdosing and self harming. lol didn't work so i stopped. :laugh:
  14. LSD

LSD Well-Known Member

yeah it relax a lot- maybe thats why
    i started when i was 14 i think- but geez this days i've been smoking more D;
  15. dying2die

dying2die Well-Known Member

I've been smoking since I was 15. I have quit once(i was pregnant) for almost 16 months. for a while I smoked 3 packs a day. I'm not sure why I ever started... but I canr drink without smoking which is why I can't quit smoking. I hate to say this... but I love smoking
  16. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I used to smoke for like a year or a year and a half around 2004/5 then I stopped but I started again with Carnival this year. I have one friend back in my old hometown who smokes a LOT and I have basically since I know him always smoked like a cigarette every now and then when we were going out (I guess I can't say I stopped before then :unsure: ), and the Saturday with Carnival I had some cigarettes with him and basically I didn't stop anymore :dry:

I don't smoke too much though, I guess about 2 packs a week and I dont even smoke it all myself cos I have like 5 or 6 housemates who smoke as well and we kinda always give each other cigs...

smoking is bad though :unsure: :laugh:
  17. youwillneverknow

youwillneverknow New Member

i have smoked since i was 10. started just cause my friends did but now i do it to replace worse actions i used to do. not to get into to detail i know swapping one bad thing for another isnt good but its better that what i replace doing
  18. Spikey

Spikey Senior Member

I smoke heavily and I do it because I'm addicted and I like the damage it's doing to me. I also use them to burn.
  19. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I smoke cigars basically. I used to smoke a hell of alot of weed, and used that weed for my own mental and physical destruction and progression(if you can understand what I mean). But I've promised someone I would stay away from drugs, so I started smokeing cigars. It gives me a temporary high. Since I barely eat and I have eratic sleeping patterns and work, I'm not entirely full of energy, and cigars knock me down quickly. I get emmense head rushes from them, and it opens that doorway to what I could touch when I was on drugs, a sort of mind clarity where I can think, but my thoughts are my own and they don't all sink into a black hole and I'm just sitting an the opening having all these emotions and thoughts rushing past me. To be honest, it's stopped, that crap, and now i feel slightly like a zombie, .. having a cigar and walking really lets me breath as I choke to death.

random crap
  20. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I don't smoke cigarettes, I smoke weed. I smoke it as a way of relaxing and also because I can't stop (it gets difficult after 4 years, ha).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.