Why do you try?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Esmeralda, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

This forum is so full of people who are ready to end it all, or at least, say they are. So I ask you, WHY do you try? Is it God? Is it fear? Is it guilt? What is inside you that makes you keep resisting the pull of suicide?
  2. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I guess its hope for most people. Fear of the unknown. What happens after death. One last effort to try change your life around. I personally think fear of the unknow holds a lot of people back. Life can change if you do the right steps. Hope that answered your question from my point of view anyway :unsure:
  3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I am terrified of failing. Last time I ended up sectioned and I don't EVER want that to happen again.

That's from a personal point of view, but there are lots of reasons out there that people keep fighting one. Hope, fear, fight, could be anything, but whatever it is, it's a good thing as far as I can see.
  4. I echo what Scum said, I am so fearful of failing, because I know if I do a serious attempt and fail, I wil again, be put into a physc ward, and that was the worst experience in my life previously.

I also just hang on, and when I get to the end of my rope, I tie a knot and hold on, I try to hold on, to see if it gets any better, to see if anything will happen, anything good, plus the fact if I killed myself, I'd be taking alot of people with me, my mom told me that she'd die without me, aswell as my sister, and my grandad would be heartbroken and so hurt, although I don't believe this, the thought of it hurts me so much that I carry on living for their sakes.

I'm not all selfish and pure evil, I do care about others... even when times look so hopeless.
  5. Stylez

Stylez Well-Known Member

For me it's the fear of the unknown. This is the main reason I want to stay alive and ironically why I want to die so bad...
  6. blade

blade Well-Known Member

ive said that. but the reason thinks stop me is that i think of my reall close mates and my bf and the people whi i personly feel for. ive tried to kill myself b4. tried drowning, suffocating myself. but in the end i stop.
  7. Jawa

Jawa Guest

Because deep down I know, just like everybody else on this planet, is that I have choice. We all know it, and we can deny it, stamp out feet, protest, whinge, whine, feel sorry for ourselves, try and kill ourselves, but at the end of the day you and I both know that we have a choice to either do something about our lives, or give up. Giving up is a choice.
    Strangely enough, I encountered a speech from one of Bill Hicks' CD's that summarizes the point quite well.

8. TwilightKid

TwilightKid Well-Known Member

For me there are 2 reasons: i cant hurt my mum. I just cant, thats all. And the second reason is that i still have hope. Hope is alll i have at the moment. I dont really have anything else. But see how people can survive on hope?
    Well i dont think i am really afraid of the unknown... Maybe a bit. yeah just a bit. I dont think there is hell waiting for me nor heaven. Still no one knows for sure, do we? So yeah i guess the fear of the unknown is present in everyone to some degree.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.