Why does it hurt to talk about it?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by BukanAyu, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BukanAyu

BukanAyu Member

Why does it hurt you to talk about it?
    Is it because it hurts you to think about it?
    But you already think about it.
    So why not...talk?

2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I'm scared of what response I'll get.
    I'm scared because I may not have any 'friends' if I say so.
    I'm scared because once they know what I hide, they'll know who I am :unsure:.

One day, I'm gonna try and talk about it to someone. To try and get help. But for now I'm waiting :huh:.

3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Those are really good questions when it comes to something to do with myself:tongue:. The answer is: my heart is broken, and it's nearly killed me, so "talking about it" (ie expressing myself in the way I want to, which hasn't to do with talking to anyone, as they tend to not help, are uninterested and I don't think they understand) is very dangerous unless I know how to direct myself well- which I'm working on.

4. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

This is a very good question. For me, I loathe talking about myself, or even having attention focussed on me, so while I think about it constantly, talking about it and admitting it aloud, is painfully difficult.

Also, like LongRoad, I am scared of the outcome of talking about it. Many people don't know how to deal with this stuff, and run away. Or they get other people involved and try to medicate or section you. Or they watch you like a hawk to try to stop you. None of these are desirable outcomes, so it's better to keep quiet.

It would be better if we could talk about it more freely, as perhaps many more people would get the support and help they need.

Mim

5. fooror

fooror Well-Known Member

I think part of it is not wanting people to think of you as 'one of those people'.

People don't tend to understand issues of the mind until they experience them personally.

I know this as I used to use the badge of 'one of those people' myself when I heard about somebody being unwell! Not anymore though.

I suppose in a way it isn't all that dissimilar to somebody being off sick from work/school with a physical illness. You don't tend to believe they are really sick unless they come in with a plaster cast on :D

6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Sometimes talking makes it 'real'.

7. ghostchild

ghostchild Member

because i'm afraid the people i tell will think i'm blaming them somehow..

8. Pow

Pow Well-Known Member

Because when you think, nobody else knows.
    And when someone knows that when something changes.

9. BukanAyu

BukanAyu Member

What about talking about it anonymously?
    Or with someone you trust? (if you have someone like that)

10. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Because it would mean I'm coming out of my shell.

11. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Are you ok BukanAyu? Are you asking with regards to other people, or with regards to yourself?

12. BukanAyu

BukanAyu Member

Others. I'm just wondering.

13. fallingangie

fallingangie Well-Known Member

To be absolutely honest, talking about it kind of makes me feel even more ashamed of myself. It is true that I keep thinking about it all day and hate myself for getting into such a mess, but at the end of the day talking about it makes me feel even more guilty. Maybe this could be a reason for a lot of people out there, who are facing difficulties in talking about it.

14. Charlie Milles

Charlie Milles Well-Known Member

People - around me, at least - don't "get it". People are sad in my town, the few but there's melancholy nonetheless. But nowhere near painful enough to consider suicide, I don't think. A lot of the anguish in my town is self-created and petty. But, I'm already "psycho" so I guess it wouldn't hurt my case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.