Why does suicide HAVE to be selfish...

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by tonyb8512, Aug 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyb8512

tonyb8512 Member

anyone agree that if your life is at a point where all you do is get in peoles way that dieing would be a selfless thing to do? People say suicide is selfish, however if all you do is make the lives around you worst but still go on living, isnt that selfish? I want to live but thats just me doing what I want. so in certain cases where your life makes the peoples lifes around worst, wouldnt the unselfish thing to do is go away? I know your thinking "well why dont you just change? become a better person. " But you wouldnt tell a homosexual to jus change. You wouldnt expect someone practicing Muslim for 30years to change religions, and you would not expect a child to master chemistry? Just cause some of us believe suicide is a good route doesn't mean some of us can change. Of course you should try but once u hit a certain age and everything still the same... all the goals that you reach for have...failed and you've tried your hardest in the world to obtain these goals and you still can't reach them, obviously, these things can't be changed.
    So basically what I am saying is, and this is only in certain case's, isnt suicide not selfish? And a good thing to do? Even if you're not terminally ill or in an abundance of pain. If anyone agrees I would love to talk you.

2. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I do not buy into that whole 'selfishness' thing, especially when it comes to such things like suicide. A person's life is their own to do with as they wish and those who constantly spout freedom are but hypocrites who have not and never will know or be able to imagine what the rest of us are feeling.

3. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

4. TrentGrad

TrentGrad Well-Known Member

People call it selfish because they want to discourage it. And as someone who has had a family member successfully end their lives by their own hand, I can tell you that those left behind...never really recover.

The thing is...most people support euthanasia, yet just not for us. And I don't understand that.

I don't believe suicide is selfish...nor do I believe it's selfless. It's merely human.

5. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

thanks.

i should probably get around to posting something in that thread (if i havon't all ready) need to check...

6. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

yes, i agree with you- and it's something that i've always said.

once people have tried everything they can, but realise that they are still lost and hurting, i think it's a perfictly valid thing to do... but i don't think people should do it without first trying to get help... only as a real last resort

i mean why kill yourself in haste when someone could be waiting just around the corner to give you the help and the support you need

7. darkdays

darkdays Active Member

First of all, no act, no matter how it is intended, is purely altruistic. You don't say what it is that you are doing that makes the lives around you worse. Care to talk about it? I'm guessing that the people around you are highly critical of your choices in life, maybe even flat out telling you that you are a disappointment to them. If so, maybe instead of ending your life, what you need to do is terminate your relationship with these people who are beating you down. If you are religious then yes, suicide might be seen as immoral in some faiths, while perfectly acceptable in others (Buddhism comes to mind, witness those Buddhist monks who have immolated themselves in protest of the Chinese government-probably not a method of suicide you would want to try) What are your personal beliefs? Are you atheist, Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, Christian, Wiccan, Agnostic, and I could go on. Is suicide a valid option? I don't know. It's certainly not one that most cultures are comfortable with. Personally I think that your problems are fixable. The people who beat us down can change. More importantly, our attitudes toward them can change. Our brain chemistry can be altered, so that our first reaction to external stimuli can become not, what's the use, I give up, but instead, "I can fix this". Could you kill yourself? Sure. Anytime. Just don't expect me to give you a pat on the back for it.

8. tonyb8512

tonyb8512 Member

its good to know their are ppl oit there who agree. ive never met one person who thought sucide wasn't selfish

9. tonyb8512

tonyb8512 Member

darkdays,
    I wasnt talking about myself necessarily. I was speaking in a general sence.

10. Corey1221

Corey1221 Active Member

I was thinking on the topic today, it's interesting how people use the excuse to cause more guilt in the hurting person.

11. Lost and tired

Lost and tired Well-Known Member

I dont think its selfish. If the people who say they care about me felt my pain for one day the would understand it, and not want me to suffer any more. But these people dont understand the depth of my depression and will never see it as me ending a horrible existence. So then the guilt comes for feeling that you are hurting other people

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.