Why does young people with bright future have to die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicesinging1

I just read an article on local newspaper about a 17 yr old high school guy who died from car crash. According to the article, he was council president, excelled in academics, played sports, instruments, just all-around guy with bright future. He was planning to become a doctor in his future.
Although I don't know him personally, I felt very sad to read such a young person who can be an asset to our society in coming futures had to die so early. I kept asking, "Why him? Why such a young person with bright future who will contribute to our society? Why does life have to work like this? This seems unfair and I hate the way life works."
I am sure it is not just me who have felt this way. I just wish there were answers to help me understand why life has to work like this. When I came into this world, I expected a life of justice, fairness. But what I have experienced and seen in my life doesn't make me think life is so much like that.
I wanna hear u guys' insights on this. Why do some young people with bright future or any good, hard-working young people who can be an asset to our society have to die? Should I just accept it as Heaven's calling?

gentlelady

Staff Alumni
Hank, There is no answer as to why some people die and some don't. None of us are gauranteed any certain amount of time to live. I cannot tell you why some people with bright futures ahead of the die in such senseless ways. Still others who would choose not to live stay on this earth for many years. There is no rhyme or reason. Sorry I could not answer your question or help out in any way.

Who knows what life will throw at us. We can be alive today and be dead tomorrow by some spook accident.

A guy at my school died when he was filling up his petrol scooter thingy with petrol. It somehow blown up and he was burnt so badly he died. The school was hit badly by it and even though I didn't know him personally, I had seem him around the school a lot and I was sad that I would never see him again. The funeral was only down the road from the school and a lot of the school went, I couldn't, because me and my year group were unfortunately on our work experience. They have a bench in the school grounds as a memory to him.

You always find there's a lot of deaths around examination result time, I don't know why. It's not suicide just plain accidents or road accidents or something and it's very sad. There was this one guy this year, from the City I live in, who was killed by a hit and run driver one day before he was due to get his exam results in August. He was expected to get high grades and guess what, he did. Very sad indeed how life can be snatched away from people in an instant.

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
Yes, I've also heard so many stories of young people dying who had a very bright future ahead of them, perfect in everything but they still had to die, why couldn't I have died in their place? :sad:
It is something I just don't understand, why does it happen?

Allo..

So your asking Why people die when they have such a great life?
Why should people die when they have a not so wonderfully perfect life?
Maybe a reason for this is that those happy, strong people with great futures ahead of them have already had their share of fun and happiness, maybe its so that everyone else can have a turn. Not all those people with bright futures die, and not all those with dull futures die, it would probably be about the same %, but there are more happy people than sad.

So, their lives get ripped away, their happiness ends. But dont the rest of us deserve a turn?

Ohh well thats just an idea, take care everyone x x

eih

I can relate... a girl at our school just got killed she was nice and seemed to have a bright future.. seems so unfair:sad:

N

non_existence

I wanna hear u guys' insights on this. Why do some young people with bright future or any good, hard-working young people who can be an asset to our society have to die? Should I just accept it as Heaven's calling?
So to know the answer to that we would have to know the answer to a more general question "why does ANYTHING happen?", there's 2 basic possibilities for what could possibly be the root cause of each conscious experience of a given person:
1. either it's somehow caused by the past actions of the person himself [through things which he has the potential or ability to control: his body, speach & mind]
2. or its caused entirely by something completely independent of the person himself which he has no control over [this covers all possibilities like random chance, determinism, God, ...]

There's no other possibilities other than those 2 things, is there?

It's clear & undeniable that most ordinary experiences are caused by the person himself [for example something like: if you eat food then that causes you to not be hungry anymore, if you commit a crime then you'll probably go to jail, etc...]

So since all these ordinary events are caused entirely by the actions of the person himself, I believe the most natural possible reason for the more subtle events [like accidental deaths, or the reason for why are some people born healthy instead of sick, or born smart instead of stupid] is also the past actions of the person himself. This is the most universally fair possibility I think, so everything that happens to you was caused entirely by you. [even though you might not even remember or know why or how it was caused]

In either case though, the only thing worth doing is accepting whatever is already happening [no matter how hard] & working in the present moment to create a brighter future.

If whatever happens to you is caused by your own past actions, then its entirely your own responsibility & you have to accept it.
If whatever happens to you is NOT caused by your own past actions, then since you had no freedom or choice anyway the only thing to do is accept it.

Let me answer a question with a question.
How UNFAIR would it be if all the extremely successful, bright
handsome and healthy people lived long and happy lives and got their own way ALL THE TIME? That would make result in a hell of a lot of very resentful, frustrated people roaming the planet and it`s quite possible the world would be a more miserable place than it already is.

Also is not reasonable to assume that people who lead very full, active lives are more likely to die in sudden circumstances than people who `play it safe` (eg. people like me who don`t drive) because they put themselves in the way of danger on a day to day basis?
Their eulogy is often something along the lines of
`they died despite being an active member of society`,
but it`s often the case that people die BECAUSE they are so active and put their life at risk so frequently (which you do everytime you so much as step into a car or climb a rock face, let`s face it).

Last edited by a moderator:

lebigmac

This article you're describing sounds like a bit of an embellishment. Notice how all those positives points you listed are sort of vague? Council president? Pretty much anyone can become one if they want to, at least where I went to high school, and there isn't any real work involved. Excelled in academics? Everyone has different standards of academic achievemant. Played sports/instruments? Most people do. All-around guy with bright future? So says his parents and close friends. And planning to become a doctor? Whoop-dee-doo. Anyone can plan.

Also, people of above average caliber (which maybe this guy really was, but i doubt it) being killed so tragically is far less common than the mass media would have you believe. Let me ask you this. If you're flipping through a newspaper and spot an article with the heading "17 Year Old Dies in Car Crash," what story would you find most compelling: that of a good looking, athletic, ambitious young person with everything to lose, or that of your average looking, run-of-the-mill underachiever? Of course it's the former that would have you continue reading said paper, even though the latter (in reality) is undoubtedly more pervasive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00