why doesnt suicide hotline have a chat

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by solost22, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solost22

solost22 Member

i dont understand why they dont? i mean some people arent talkers espically with suicicde
  2. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I've wondered that too, because sometimes when I'm feeling down I'd love to talk to someone there. But I rather not talk with my voice.
  3. Descendant

Descendant Account Closed

That's a good question which may have one or several answers but I think it's most likely that they simply lack the funds to set up and maintain a chat service, because that would require renting a server and more staff to monitor and keep it running. It's also possible they believe talking over the phone and hearing a voice is a more effective means of getting to people, and in a way the conversation is more sincere than being fully anonymous in the case of a chat room.
  4. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Yeah, I was thinking the same as what was just said. They may not have the funds for server space, for the chat software, or to pay new staff to monitor it.
  5. spidy

spidy Well-Known Member

Lifeline here in australia have onlinechat with there volunteers plus they made free call from ya mobile too
  6. TheOncomingStorm

TheOncomingStorm Well-Known Member

There are some places that do have chats..such as https://www.imalive.org/

IMalive was set up because of how much easier IM is compared to phonecall... All staff are fully trained, but hours are limited because it hasn't been opened that long.. i'll post a bit from the 'about us page'

You are panicked, short of breath, and the pain is so palpable that you cannot feel or think about anything else. The terror of picking up the phone to call a hotline not knowing who will answer prevents you from doing so. Or, even if you have the courage to pick up the phone, the sound of the person's voice scares you and you hang up. We know this happens because over 30% of all people who call suicide hotlines do just that—they hang up as soon as they hear the human voice.

More importantly, we recognize the technological age we find ourselves in today and we know that millions of people in crisis will never pick up the phone. We believe that IMAlive is part of the solution to the problem. IMAlive is a live online crisis network that uses instant messaging to respond to people in crisis

So yeah, there is some alternatives to phonecall (Im sure theres more than i've listed) however they are few and farbetween i guess, which is a shame in this day and age.
  7. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Crisis lines are probably much more effiicent and able to handle people on the phone.. read the pauses, the intonations and can tell just how far down adn how far out they are by the voice .. also they have caller id and your phone number which means they can track you donw an sic help to your front door if needed.. ok this probably is the main reason most of you do not call these numbers..lol ok now that is said i have an ongoing relationship with my local crisis people 35 milres from my house.. lynn1, lynn2, debbie adn lisa almost always answer the phone when i call.. have found one does not have to be close to suicide to talk to these people.. as simple as i just want to have another good person on the other end of the phone to hold my 2d hand and heart with me for awhile has always worked out well for me so far...

callling the crisis line the first time many years ago,, i was one small step from ending my own life.. 15 minutes later the police and ambulance drivers knowked on my door and asked to come in.. well these people did save my life that night.. that was very good..after a brief stay in the emergency room. they found a nearby mental health center and set my first appt there two days later.. doc and nurse there in ER were very nice.. got the impression this was not their first time in this circumstance....lol

to thank these good people , i call on christmas, new years and valantine's day to wish them well and thank them for always being there... if you are scared shittless to call their number, maybe pick a tim where you are in a minor crisis situation and call and talk with them a bit then.. tc, Jim
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.