Why don't psychiatrists like to tell you what your diagnosis is sometimes?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by AsphyxiateOnMisery, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I've noticed this a lot...You go to a psychiatric evaluation, you sit there for like an hour explaining the way you think, feel, and act and trying to answer all their questions the best way you can...and then in the end it's just like "Okay, well I think that's about it. You're done." Like, really? You're not going to tell me what the hell you think is wrong with me after all that? I mean, I've had some doctors that did try to explain it to me if I asked them about it. But even then, they try to explain it without actually saying the name of the disorder that they wrote on the paper. Unless you ask them specifically what it says, they're usually not going to tell you. Why do you think that is? Do a lot of people freak out and get upset if they find out what they have or what? I usually want to know what they think I have so I can tell them if I agree or disagree cause at first I got diagnosed with Dependent Personality Disorder and granted while I do have some symptoms of it, I think the doctor misinterpreted what I was telling him because I know I definitely didn't have enough symptoms of it to be diagnosed. So good thing I ended up finding that out and mentioning it to him and he rediagnosed me with Borderline/Avoidant instead of Dependent which fits a lot better. I don't know it just doesn't make sense to me. I think the patient should know.

2. pisces1

pisces1 Well-Known Member

Very good question. It cold be that it takes a long time for a doctor to really get to know you before they can give you an accurate diagnosis. I know my diagnoses have changed over time and they are still uncertain if there is something else going on. I know for myself the more I know, the more I can educate and help myself. I do understand your frustration.

3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

My dx has changed over time I dont bother asking anymore as its just a label and mumbo jumbo as far as im concerned I am me.

4. K8E

K8E Well-Known Member

I think that psychiatrists are often treating symptoms and aren't really sure about a clear diagnosis. There is so much overlap and disagreement it is is astonishing. Even now psychiatric diagnosis has been shown to lack validity and often depends on the country that you live in or the psychiatrist that is treating you. One of the most famous studies was done by Rosenhan in the 1960s and there are many studies showing that psychiatry unlike other areas of medicine struggles to be consistent with diagnoses. This is primarily because of the lack of biological markers for disorders. For example the presence of a particular type of rash, high temperature, sore throat and feeling unwell indicates measles. But insomnia, crying, lack of motivation and thoughts of self harm are present in many different mental health disorders.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I've had this in the past. I think they feel by saying you have X wrong with you that they're putting a label on you and they don't want to do that. Also, I knew someone who was told they had bipolar and yes she freaked out so much that she took the pills out of her handbag and threw them at the doctor. So...I guess there could be a good few reasons for it, maybe just ask the psych straight out? I 100% agree though, that the patient deserves to know, I think that should be a right.

6. AsphyxiateOnMisery

I do agree that a lot of symptoms are very vague and present under many mental disorders, but that's when you have to dig deeper. I mean I could go to the doctor and say I feel depressed, worthless, and hopeless, have thoughts of suicide, and lack any kind of motivation and would probably get diagnosed with major depression. But I could also say other things like I'm very socially anxious in certain situations but also avoid having friendships and a social life for other reasons than being anxious, I have very chaotic romantic relationships, I'm scared to death of being abandoned, I'm manipulative if I don't get things my way, etc. Now if you combine all those things along with being depressed and feeling hopeless, it's more indication that a personality disorder is present. And to figure out which one, you have to give a lot of other details. But granted yes, I would assume some psychiatrists would have a different opinion than other psychiatrists, but if they're as good at their job as they should be, it should only be minor differences and they should have valid reasoning for it. If not, chances are one of them sucks at their job. But I do agree also that it would make the process a bit easier if more criteria were added for various disorders.

7. AsphyxiateOnMisery

Wow...lol. Well, yeah I can see that being a reason why, but that's why I said if the patient asks, they shouldn't beat around the bush about it and just tell them what it is straight up. But if they don't ask, then they probably don't care enough to know anyway so I can see why they wouldn't bother with it then.

Edit: I also just realized that throwing a bottle of pills at your psychiatrist because you're pissed off that they diagnosed you as bipolar is just more of an indication that you're probably bipolar.

Well, for me, I'm trying to major in psychology so, for one, it just simply interests me to know, especially personality disorders. Secondly, I like being self-aware. Even if knowing my behavioral patterns isn't helping me change them, I still like knowing better than not knowing because at least then I know exactly what I need to change and the only other thing I need to worry about is how to change it. But if I'm totally clueless about the way I'm behaving, then how am I supposed to know it even needs fixing let alone how to do so. But that's just me, I like being aware of things, especially involving myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  8. felicity

felicity Member

I've been told... "you're complex". Who knows what that means. I just assumed it was a kinder way of saying "you're a mess". At this point in life, I don't really care tbh.

9. AsphyxiateOnMisery

I've been told I was a "challenge".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.