Why get a therapist?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by lightbeam, Jan 27, 2013.

1. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

My pdoc is going to tell me to talk to one of the therapists about the voices, because there's nothing more he can do med wise. He isn't willing to change meds or anything... so he is inept.

Why see a therapist...? I haven't gotten along with them or anything. I've had 3 from the same place as my pdoc, and they were all asses.

I cannot deal with another therapist. All they want to do is move me out of my parent's home. It sucks. I take my meds because of my parents. If I don't, they take me to the hospital. I want to stay with my parents, because I can't be trusted with not taking my meds.
  2. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I personally believe that medications in may cases are important because they are band-aid's and can help reduce issues or sometimes mask them, but they do not always address root cause. Therapy is important to actually start exploring what is going on and to help identify coping methods, as well as to start working toward a cure. Nobody want to have to take medications forever, after all. Your statement that you can't be trusted on your own to take your medications seems an indicator of a need for the supplement of counselling. Just like one often has to try different medications and medication combinations to find the right dose and to take what is most effective, you may have to try more than three different therapist until you find one that works well with you, your personality, their personality combination, and their approach to therapy.

(I'm not a big fan of meds... though I know that they serve a purpose but it's always best to explore beyond them with a goal to reduce or eliminate them at some point in life)
  3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

The last 3 therapists have said that there is nothing wrong with me, or that I am resistant to treatment. I don't talk to anyone. When I go to the pdoc, I don't really want to speak to him either. I may be becoming unhinged and things, but yeah, I don't want to deal with the fallout when I know that there is something wrong, and no one will listen.
  4. HarleyTwin

HarleyTwin Staff Alumni

I'm sort of in the same focus as PickWithAustin, I try to avoid jumping straight to meds for the same reasons. I think too many doctors are just throwing meds at people too quickly, and it can disturb a balance of something they may just be a cognitive pattern. As for therapy, I think it works well, if you use it well, and it the therapist knows what the hell they are doing. Sadly, I know that some don't and I've had my fair share of running into a few bastards too - but I have met some amazing ones that I've seen almost work miracles on people I thought were beyond any help and would never be any different.

You should have a choice in your own therapist, try not to go for convenience if you can, and remember that they may not show their quality or ability in the first session. I found that some of the best therapists I came across, were of a very friendly demeanor, and loved to laugh and share a few jokes. In fact, the two of those that come to mind right now, are actually very very well known in the mental health field worldwide - and they started in a shitty little city in Australia. One of them sadly passed away a few years ago and was a great family friend, the other, I believe moved to the US but I'm still in contact with her (and she was my therapist when I was 7, so that's 20 years) I don't know if she's anywhere near Utah...but it might be worth a shot?