why go on?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by satyesu, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satyesu

satyesu Member

no one seems to be able to give a reason to that holds up. if it's happiness, then happiness will vanish with death soon enough, making it pointless as it will not last. unless there's an afterlife, in which case life just delays access to eternity. if the point is to learn, or to discover the meaning, what happens when we finally reach those goals? existence would be meaningless.
    i could go on, but in short, for any goal to be reached, striving for it must come to an end. Once given meaning, life becomes pointless.
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Everything is so temporary that I have stopped looking for global meanings to justify my life...I am here to try to be compassionate to myself and others...I am so imperfect, I fail...then I try again...very simple...no great Zen expectations, although many have come...J
  3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

If you haven't experienced happiness, true happiness, then it's very hard to see why it would be worth sticking around to experience it. But it's there, and it can happen to you in your lifetime. :hug:
  4. satyesu

satyesu Member

^ but if it's happiness in this lifetime, it'll end, and if it carries over why wait? it's like when i'm given a drug called versed that's sedative and causes amnesia. i could have had the time of my life on it for all i know, but what good does it do me now?
  5. justafool

justafool Well-Known Member

"Happiness" is an absolutely illusory goal to have. The more you chase after it, the further it moves away.

All we have is the Eternal Now. There is no "afterlife" because there is no "after." You are already as "dead" as you you will ever be.

This may sound like mumbo jumbo, but it's really not. Educate yourself about the nature of existence. This knowledge will give you the perspective that you have been craving.
  6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

If it's a temporary kind of happiness, then it's not true happiness. Real happiness comes from within and so isn't affected by external circumstances. Developing that doesn't come overnight, and discovering it feels different for everyone, but it'll come :hug:
  7. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

Because as long as you're alive there's a chance to experience happiness, and once it's attained its so beautiful noone would wish to turn down the opportunity. It's not constant, but that doesn't mean it's not worthwhile.

It could be argued that I was not genuinely suicidal, but when I joined this site I was down. No friends, full of shame, not eating, unable to sleep....I remember pacing back and forth many a night, my head going crazy until I just broke down in a ball crying.... the physical feeling which came from how down I was feeling was nearly unbearable.

But now that's a distant memory. I cant believe I even joined this site, but I did. I was low for a long time, years. But it can get better.
  8. satyesu

satyesu Member

suggestions on how, please? o.o
  9. satyesu

satyesu Member

what did you do to get better?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.