• We had a slight glitch and the forum deleted about 80 threads at random - we are restoring them currently but you may have had an alert saying your thread was deleted - please ignore this and do not be concerned. Thanks, Freya :)

Why Hate?

Auri

♪ღ♪•SF Rock Star*♪ღ♪
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
could you see how seeking "truth" might be more important than being happy?
Dude. Ask any person on the forum "who could have written that same sentence?", and they will all say it's me. :p I am all about the truth... and in seeking it, I do not believe in my own happiness. Hope is what I have.

Why do you think it's inflexible?
Because the way you put it there, it sounded like you didn't allow any middle ground. Though I may have misinterpreted, you didn't fully explain your beliefs. Like here :
I suspect that human nature is largely built on aggression, and that even when people "act nice", that they do so on a foundation of aggression.

how do you factor in that stereotyping, classifying, and recognizing patterns in large groups has merit too? How else would you practically apply group observation on a personal level in real life?
I said I distinguished individuals from humanity as a whole. For example, I can say that I wish for the human species to become extinct, but I do not wish a single individual on this earth to die for that purpose.
Here you talked about "large groups". Sure, there are large groups of people that are more or less aggressive, selfish and superficial, you are right. Then there are groups of people that are selfish and superficial, but not aggressive. Also, groups of altruistic and genuine people. And groups of people who are more neutral there...

Recognizing patterns is what I constantly do. They can become rules, but in the end, they are always based on statistics and hypotheses. They can help me to understand the big picture, but every individual is unique and applying the same principles for all doesn't seem very wise to me and I've always allowed myself to see beyond a simple rule/stereotype in people. The same way, I see classifying as a help for me to understand the big picture, but the details are what matters in the end.

Cheers mate. ;)

Nick

Staff member
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
For some reason I stopped getting notifications from this thread. Apparently I'm also not paying enough attention to what's going on around here, because I completely missed it had replies.

I operate with this central principle: HUMAN BEINGS ARE GENERALLY AGGRESSIVE CREATURES.
I don't really agree with that premise. Aggressive people tend to be loud, so they get more attention, from my experience. Most of the people I know are the opposite of aggressive. They actively avoid conflict and aggression. I don't think that's a basic human characteristic.

Gonz

I think a lot of hate comes from fear and as people let go of that they can become more accepting of others.
I think you really hit the nail on the head here.

Could be fear of the unknown, like with your grandfather. Could be fear of something within themselves, like the stereotypical homophobe who turns out to be a closet case. Could be fear of your own vulnerability, when it comes to hating some specific person who has wronged you.

Last edited:
Dude. Ask any person on the forum "who could have written that same sentence?", and they will all say it's me. :p I am all about the truth... and in seeking it, I do not believe in my own happiness. Hope is what I have.
Right on.
Because the way you put it there, it sounded like you didn't allow any middle ground.
Fair enough. However, I like to think that it's flexible. LOL.
Though I may have misinterpreted, you didn't fully explain your beliefs.
Totally. I feel like being on a public forum necessitate answers in as short a form as possible - so I try to do 1-2 sentence answers when I can. It's hard to get complex thoughts or detailed thoughts in such a format. I will PM some of what I'm talking about.
I said I distinguished individuals from humanity as a whole. For example, I can say that I wish for the human species to become extinct, but I do not wish a single individual on this earth to die for that purpose.
I agree with you there, but another part of me feels like I should be willing to act on a principle, not just keep it as an ivory-tower-armchair musing.
Here you talked about "large groups". Sure, there are large groups of people that are more or less aggressive, selfish and superficial, you are right. Then there are groups of people that are selfish and superficial, but not aggressive. Also, groups of altruistic and genuine people. And groups of people who are more neutral there...
Yes, it's complicated. Lots of combinations. However, I think maybe all human behavior is based on a principle of selfishness - which relates to aggression. But there are many different and complex ways this can manifest. In any case, I think it runs deep in all of us.
Recognizing patterns is what I constantly do. They can become rules, but in the end, they are always based on statistics and hypotheses. They can help me to understand the big picture, but every individual is unique and applying the same principles for all doesn't seem very wise to me and I've always allowed myself to see beyond a simple rule/stereotype in people. The same way, I see classifying as a help for me to understand the big picture, but the details are what matters in the end. Cheers mate. ;)
Sure thing. I operate much the same way. I treat people as individuals. I guess I just assume the worst before the best, and I'm on the lookout. Hee Hee. Cheers.

Auri

♪ღ♪•SF Rock Star*♪ღ♪
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
I agree with you there, but another part of me feels like I should be willing to act on a principle, not just keep it as an ivory-tower-armchair musing.
I think they are not the same purpose. The macro- and microscales are not always ruled by the same principles. Also, my statement was pretty simplified. I wish for the human species to become extinct, but I have no real foundation to have that desire, other than "it seems like nature is more beautiful without humans in it" and I would like to preserve that. Though in reality, nature is also cruel, humans also produce beautiful things, and if I started getting philosophical about it and dug deeper and deeper, I would end up with a more balanced conclusion.

In the meantime, I have empathy and I am part of the human species myself. I understand individuals, I see their suffering, and I wish to minimize it (ideally). Acting on that principle does seem worth it because it procures me the same feeling of righteousness as when I see the beauty of an animal or trees or mountains. Humanity is the tormentor and the victim.

Yes, it's complicated. Lots of combinations. However, I think maybe all human behavior is based on a principle of selfishness - which relates to aggression. But there are many different and complex ways this can manifest. In any case, I think it runs deep in all of us.
How does it manifest in you? :)
In general, I find that a lot of people accusing every possible act to be a selfish one are usually those who don't even act in the first place. They justify their own poor altruism or bad behaviour by finding the flaws in others' ways of life, which are in fact outweighed by "the good" they spread. Perfection is an asymptotic ideal. No one is nor can be perfect. But everyone can always choose to get closer to it.

Sure thing. I operate much the same way. I treat people as individuals. I guess I just assume the worst before the best, and I'm on the lookout. Hee Hee. Cheers.
It's interesting... I assume the best before the worst. Do you think we both come up with the same conclusions? ;)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00