why helping others when one cant keep afloat?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by RySp123, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

I have the right to be fed up. I have the right to feel overwhelmed. I also have the dam right to throw the rag and say enough is enough. Do I have the right to hurt those that love me? Do I have the right to call out and think of what I need for myself and stop thinking of others' needs-liking-wantings-etc?

Where does one's rights start and end? Is it more right for youngters feeling that they want out than for parents to want it?

Anyone has ever wonder or ponder about how parents might have felt or feel at this very moment? Don't children expect parents to be up it all at all time and cost?

How do you see your parents? Where do they come from? What is their story and life, feelings,emotions, worries, fears etc? Do youngsters ask themselves these qustions? Do parents bother to see how their kids feel etc?

Perhaps too much of taken for granted in many things and fields... not to mention the 'why bother' attitude.... nonchalence or lack of something?

No need to answer...... just to make a few think over these few things (perhaps lead to further thinking who knows)

2. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

What brings or pushes someone already down to their last resources in helping others?
    Don't they have enough on their own?
    Why add more on one's shoulders as the weight of our own lives is too much to stay on our own two feet?
    Boh.... answers?

3. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

Much of the time helping others comes from placing your personal value on how much others value you. Some people help other people, go miles out of their way and tell themselves it's because they are simply kind-hearted and while they probably are, you have an obligation to yourself to respect your personal limits and know when enough is enough. It's great to be kind and think of others as long as you are not damaging yourself in the process by placing your value in the hands of others, a value that can be taken away at any time. A healthy kindness is one where you know that you are doing it because you want to and not because their gratitude will make you feel better about yourself.

4. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

Value others as you value yourself. When applied to others to a point you forget you own value, it is no longer healthy and backfires. I agree with you about being able to (in applied form specially) say enough is enough.

Wanting to do it is something Reki, doing it coz you feel it natural to do it is alright but doesn't always has somehting to do with the 'gratitude' or the 'making feel one better' in doing it. There is more to it. There is also the moral obligation for one.

When moral obligation, duty or whatever you want to call it puts you in a situation that you can't say 'no' without a cost then...... we all pay the price.
    That is either they are youngsters, adults, parents or grandparents. There is no age to obligations, duties, expectations or just 'normal' human behaviors.

In the long run, even the most noble and kind hearted person can be destroyed by kindness, values and so forth specially if the parties involved do not pay attention, listen to each other, are attentive to the needs-necessities etc.. of each other.... etc.

The line is really fine between good and bad, healthy and unhealthy. What seems natural can be deadly.

what at priory may seen one can hide the other or lead to.... amen better stop thinking or might not make it through this day.

be well and safe

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  5. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

don't take anything for granted. neither the meal mum cooks for you, dad's bringing money home to provide for the family, to be always in control, dont expect kids to always behave as you taught them or expect them to coz they know better..... feelings, emotions, moods, illness, overwhelming feeling etc is human and has no age or time frame. as human beings each as its limits and they might change during a life period but accept that there is a time when one feels not to have control over things anymore ...... just in the accepting this basic thing, and the making that person know that it is natural part of being human, that is acceptable and accepted by those around, not making it weight on the person, giving him-her a break to breath and the necessary time to refill its own energy might just be what it takes to make all the difference.

thanks Lee..... owe you one today. be strong kiddo.... go your own paste and know that how u feel is more than normal... you are not in any wrong on how you feel. hug to you and be safe (i care)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.