Why i do it

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by glasgow1964, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glasgow1964

glasgow1964 New Member

I know that i should not be hurting myself like this,but when i get into a total depression and i am in stressful situations,to me that is the only way that i can get rid of the pressure that i feel that i am under at that point.
    I have cut myself on my arms legs and on my genitals,but ll my old doctor told me was that at my age,i should know better and not be doing hat sort of thing.
    There are times that i wonder am i the only one who is going through this,and is this a sign that i am slowly going off my head and that if i do carry on doing this that i will end up in hospital,or even worse that i will do something realy bad and i will end up bleeding to death.

2. alison

alison Well-Known Member

UGH I hate when I hear that people's doctors have said that. i dont know, I think its just really stupid.

I went through a self injury phase when I was 7 or so, and I was young, but I knew enough to hide it and that it was shameful. So at what age do doctors mean when they say they don't "know better"? Five, three, infancy??

It's ridiculous. I feel like everyone KNOWS that self injury isn't the most effective way to cope with things. But if its the only coping mechanism we've got, of course we're going to use it! In my opinion its a red flag that a person doesn't have coping skills and needs help! Not that they don't know better.

Ugh, I'm really sorry he treated you like that, it's not fair. If it helps, you're not the only person who self injures to cope... especially around this corner of the internet its pretty common. It doesn't mean you are a bad person or that you "don't know better", it just means you need some extra help learning to deal with things. Do you go to therapy at all?

*hugs* Hang in there. Don't listen to stupid doctors. I hate doctors - some are good, but I truly believe that at least 50% of them are lazy and could care less about their job.

3. antagonist93

antagonist93 Member

I used to do it but i managed to stop because it was getting too hard to hide luckily i only have one scar and its soo feint. I still get the urge to do it a lot because i have so much emotion i need to get rid of, but I am trying hard to find other outlets! I hope you find a way forward as I am still trying!

4. Punk

Punk Well-Known Member

I found that screaming to certain songs helped incredibly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.