Why I hate therapy...

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by mlxjaded, Nov 18, 2009.

1. mlxjaded

mlxjaded Well-Known Member

Therapy might actually work if I had better therapists in my life. I've had 3 different therapists and 3 different times and none of them have helped. The reason for this is they all ask the same questions and give the same answers. I'm usually honest with them, usually.

Do you feel like you've lost interest in things you used to enjoy?
    YES. But I'm sure as hell not going to tell you that.

Have you ever wanted to commit suicide?

Do you ever feel like you're being watched and/or have voices in your head?

Do you have a good relationship with friends/family?
    Yep, most of the time.

It's all the same old questions that I'm sick of hearing and that is why I will never go again.

Yes, I know I should be honest with them but I'm not even honest with myself so...? :unsure:

Sorry for the rant thread. It's just that I might be forced to go back to therapy. :mad:

The reason is that I have been missing a lot of school because I have not been feeling well and now the school is threatening me and all this other crap.

To try and make this a little productive...

What are your thoughts on therapy?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You said it the only way therapy will work at all if is you are totally honest.
    Why don't you want to heal get help from people who can make your life better.
    Go to therapy and say what is in you heart what it is you are suffering from.
    Let the therapist help you If they are not asking the right questions then you speak up and tell them what you want them to ask. Have on a piece of paper everything that you want to say and hand it to therapist. Give the therapist something to work with. They care about people that is why they are in that field of work Let them help you let your pain out so you can feel better
    I think also not all therapist match up with everyone so you have to find the one that fits you your problems one that you can relate too but you have to give them a chance to help you open up a bit okay I know it is hard i have not fully been honest yet either but you have to try to be open and honest so you can start healing take care.
  3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hiya, I'm sorry your therapy hasn't been what you need and would like so far. I know it can be very tiresome and frustrating to hear the same questions from different people.

How many sessions have you had with each of these therapists? Just wondering because the questions you listed are fairly standard "getting to know you" questions from a therapist. To give us the best help they can, they need to know us as well as possible - they need to hear us talk about our lives, ourselves, our feelings and how we process all that stuff. Sometimes we want the deep, really life-changing help right away, but it's not really possible because the therapist needs to know us better and that takes a bit of time...

And that said, I also know that we can "fit" better with some therapists than with others, so we need to get to know them too. If we don't start to feel comfortable with the therapist, maybe it's not a good fit.

I hope you give therapy another chance and find someone who is easy to communicate with. :hug:

4. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I am entirely honest and candid with my therapist including and especially about my being suicidal. Well, when I was deep into the planning of two suicide attempts which I aborted I did not tell my therapist just how at risk I was or she would have called the police- as she should.

I am often not entirely candid with my psychiatrist because she has a pharmaceutical solution to every complaint and I am on enough medications already- I do not want to be a walking drug store.

Mixedjaded, the truth is we hurt ourselves in the long run when we are dishonest to our therapists but complete honesty is not such a black and white choice.