why id OD'ing so popular

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by desperate_soul, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seriously why do so many people try to kill themselves with pills. It is probably the single most (legitimate) unreliable method out there. It is extremely common to not die from an overdose. So why do so many choose to use it?
  2. JBird

JBird Well-Known Member

I don't know why others do it but when i think about ODing i think it'll be better coz it seems less painful than other methods.

Everyone i know/have heard thats committed suicide recently have hanged themselves though, my friend, Mark Speight, the 18 from south wales and the odd people from the newspapers.
  3. Fishman

Fishman Guest

^ sums it up perfectly...although you figure people would do more reaserch into whats going to kill them before they od...some people even think <Mod Edit: methods> alone will do it...:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. Canti

Canti Guest

Relatively cheap and not too painfull, easy to get ahold of etc.
  5. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

I wish I don't think so much and I would proceed to OD but the damn thing is that I'm aware of a slow painful 2 week suffering before death sets in if I successfully OD and damage my damn liver. I wish i had a gun.
  6. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Because most people overdose on drugs that wouldn't cause any damage.

I chose one of the most toxic drugs, did my research and found out it was pretty lethal, I researched the dose and did pretty well in trying to kill myself (I ended up in intensive care on a ventilator).

So overdosing IS lethal providing you choose the right drugs. <mod edit: resistance - methods>
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2008
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I think it's because its probably one of the easiest, inexpensive and 'easy to get hold' of methods.
    I OD when I was 14 because I thought it would kill me, it wasn't a cry for help or attention, I just took lots of pills then went to bed and thought it would be as easy as that, I woke up terribly sick:mellow:
  8. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Ironically it will probably be one of the most painful ways to die if you get it wrong. In my case I used it because my fear is a shock to the system. So if I was to do something quick and mess up, in my mind it would feel a lot worse. "Trying to stop the pain not make it worse".

Also, if you do fail which maybe is what some people want to happen, just so they can be found by someone else because the fear of telling someone that they need help was so great they felt they would rather die than speak up.
  9. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I did it on an impulse, I think, I didn't have any other anything, but I had pills, so that's what I used. :dunno:
  10. Agrigor

Agrigor Active Member

If you want to go peacefully, ODing is a bad choice. I know of a way to - relatively easy to do, too - drop yourself dead in about twenty seconds. If you are going to attempt suicide you should really do the research, not give into an impulse that will end up with you in the ICU with internal organ damage and severe illness.
  11. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I planned my attempt for 3 months and still managed to fail (I was discovered unconcious and my parents phoned for an ambulance)
  12. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

To you,

Od is NOT by any means is popular. They are mostly at least 99% is accidental.

On a lot of cases are also used as murder weapons.
    Based on my own experienced I am correcting this notion.
    Last edited: May 1, 2008
  13. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Cuz it's easy to do.
  14. Agrigor

Agrigor Active Member

But it never works... And there are methods that are rather easy and effective...
  15. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

< Mod Edit Beret: Methods >

Without sounding big headed, i'm an expert on psychotropic drugs. I read the BNF every day and spend hours researching the most lethal drugs and what doses are needed to cause death.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2008
  16. Lethal Photography

Lethal Photography Well-Known Member

The first few times I ODed I was working completely on impulse. The first pills I took I didn't notice that they were half a milligram each and no one had ever died off of an OD on them. My mom walked in on me taking them and I still had to drink charcoal at the hospital. >_< The second time, I tried <Mod Edit: methods> I found, but didn't notice they were an herbal supplement, so I took the whole bottle and woke up the next morning feeling fine. However, all of my ODs have left me feeling sick after I take any pill now, or even drink water. I have to take my meds with juice and I still feel sick for about a half hour after taking them. So I don't recommend it.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2008
  17. Canti

Canti Guest

Being a self harmer ive been thinking about ODing purely for the damage it could do to me. Death would be a side effect.

Maybe some peopel want damage and thats why they OD?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.