Why I'm still here

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by PandorasToybox, Jul 30, 2009.

1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

Living through moments where I was sure I would end up dead, I had a hard time figuring out why am I still here?

It was when people said to me, "If you are so suicidal and want to die so much, why after so long are you still here?"

My answer to that came from my subconscience, and it was "If I wasn't here, who else would be willing to take a stance against suicide & the stigma it carries?" Speaking up will be what helps save lives.

So when you sit there wondering why you haven't pulled the plug already, wait for the next person to ask you and feel for the answer. If you just let the words flow you'll understand why you are still here.

2. triggs

triggs Account Closed

:hug:

3. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I'm still here because life is unpredictable and you never know what's around the corner, I believe one day it will be something good. :)
    I'm happy you've found your reason too. :hug:

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You are so right you have a purpose a fight now to carry through to get help for all the others who are suffering like yourself. Someone needs to take a stance and get people aware on the campus that depression anxiety is an issue so look at it and develop a plan to help students deal with it. Again I am amazed at your strength you compassion towards others when you are suffering keep up the fight and know we are here for you always.

5. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

I'm glad you realized it!

Now convice me...

6. PandorasToybox

I mean had I had someone to tell me straight from the get-go, how to handle or where to go in this situation, I think I could have caught it early enough that I could have fixed things. But I had no idea.

Everybody needs to become informed in my opinion, whether its getting help for yourself or helping a friend/family or whoever, get help. Not to mention, if one day you pick up the phone only to be told by a friend "Im thinking about suicide", I mean you can only be so prepared for that but there are still skills you can pick up to handle that.

7. total eclipse

Right especially the faculty if they know how to respond to a student in trouble or if they have resourses to help someone then students would not be lost in the system they would get the help from day one. Students need to be told not to be afraid to reach out for help don't leave it too long get help as soon as they can You are doing a great thing here keep up the great work.

8. PandorasToybox

Mary :love: You read my mind!!! Lots of students turn to faculty, especially if they don't have a good relationship with family members or feel more comfortable bringing up such a serious subject with loved ones. Its not something people should have to deal with alone, but a lot of students do unfortunately :sad:

9. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

The faculty makes everything worst..

10. PandorasToybox

I guess it just depends on the person themselves...keeping in mind they are regular people like us. Some are natural at handling crisis situations, others will hand you over to the nearest person.

I had a professor who handed me over, but once he understood I needed someone to just listen, and that I was in a delicate state, he became my biggest supporter.

I just think some people are scared of the topic, and others will gladly lend a hand.

11. total eclipse

Thats where education can hlp faculty become more comfortable with helping suicidal thoughts or just depression Getting them to see they can help and giving them the skills to help they won't be so fast to pass the student on.
    Hell all they really need to teach is good listening skills good communication skills and observational skills alot of people just need to know they mean something having a room even students can meet and talk to each other get support from each other with one person in charge keep up the good work canadian runner i just know you will make a different even if it starts out small someone will listen.

12. PandorasToybox

I'm going to approach the local student wellness & diversity club and start from there.
    I think as long as teachers can recognize the warning signs and know how to comfort and direct the student then thats good =)

13. Toki Wartooth Lover

Toki Wartooth Lover Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're still here! ^-^

:hug:

14. PandorasToybox

I'm glad you're still here too :love: I'm glad to find supportive people like you here

15. Toki Wartooth Lover

Toki Wartooth Lover Well-Known Member

:love: you too!! I'm glad I could be supportive to someone..

16. Roo Roo

Roo Roo Active Member

Thank you for still being here, you are a great person! :biggrin:

17. PandorasToybox

I wouldnt still be going had I not met great, supportive people :tongue: We all survive together