Why is cutting bad?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by QuadLazer, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuadLazer

QuadLazer Well-Known Member

I want a straight answer.

I'll be honest, I use to cut out the ass, but I haven't done it in like 6+ months. I used to do it every day, then stopped, then started doing it less frequently, but more damaging. Then I just stopped and now I just take out all that pent up stuff on other things, like people I don't like. :cool:

My question is, what's so bad about it? I mean it's a fucking cut. If it helps someone feel better, then why does it matter? And don't pull out the 'well you could talk to someone' shit, because I've already tried it. Calling hotlines doesn't do shit but make things worse (I've called them almost 10x over the years and every time they have made things go from bad to shit almost instantly). Talking to family is usually a bad idea because most families are assholes to each other or don't understand and don't know what to say. Talking to friends is a better idea, but in my case, still doesn't make the cut (no pun intended).

I mean, no therapy, no pill, nothing helped me feel better, faster, than simply taking a knife and slashing myself. I mean, everytime cutting is brought up, everyone points to 'other things you could do,' but no one ever considers, what if those 'other things' don't work for shit? Then what, geniuses?

Well, in my opinion at least, cutting is as legitimate as therapy. If it helps, then it helps. I mean, obviously if you have to go the hospital or are losing alotta blood, then it's probably gone too far, but simply cutting on yourself is NOT that big of a deal I think.
  2. grinded serenity

grinded serenity Well-Known Member

ive often wondered this too. i guess its that its damaging to yourself, and when you get completely out of control enraged someone who relies on cutting would go too deep (or so ive been told) and hit a vein. other than i realy see no danger in it besides the possibility of an infection. i guess people see it as being so 'bad' because its out of the norm and to people that dont understand its an extreme.
  3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I am covered in some horrific scars because of my cuts. Two in particular that I am going to be left with forever.

I guess it's what Grinded Serenity already said - it's damaging and hurting yourself, it's not controlled, which means during a particularly bad time, it could get out of hand (similar to self medicating through drugs or alcohol, you can overdose) and hurting yourself is never going to be deemed a reasonable method of therapy.
  4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

It's a very good question. The way I see it, cutting is an escape as a opposed to a cure; a means of drowning one's problems in the europhoria of the endorphin high as opposed to confronting them. It is not to say that cutters are cowards or anything (though honestly some cutters I know open believe this of themselves); they simply make due by another means that brings little but empty comfort.

For me, it's no different than turning to alcohol or drugs for dealing with negative pain.
  5. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

I have trouble seeing whats wrong with it. As long as I don't hurt myself so bad that I wind up in the hospital or dead - which I don't - and it doesn't bother me that people can see scars all over my body, it seems like a helpful coping strategy. I think its better than drugs or alcohol because it is only a superficial wound, its not going to destroy my liver/brain/heart/important internal organs and severely compromise my life down the road.

I think part of the problem can sometimes be where the action is coming from. For example, if you cut out of self-hatred, or as self-punishment... then those aren't healthy feelings to live with. But if I just cut to calm overwhelming feelings, it doesn't seem much different to me than practicing deep breathing or trying to distract myself like my therapist suggests. It calms me like the breathing and it distracts me too, it just leaves scars.

I don't know. It doesn't make sense to me why society is more accepting to drugs and alcohol but people can't deal with the idea of self-injury. I've had friends actually TELL me to drink rather than cut. It doesn't make sense, because I'm hurting myself more that way. Oh well.
  6. CPessimist

CPessimist Well-Known Member

my 2 cents:

it's teaching you a pattern of taking your rage out on yourself

also, from what I understand (like a lot of people here talk about) it's a vicious cycle, the more you do it the more you want to do it. Trying to fix one problem with an addiction isn't going to fix the problem.

So... hope you find those acceptable quad and keep yourself cut free broseph.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.