Why is everything non-conformist to society's standards immediately shut down?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by TooShyToScream, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TooShyToScream

TooShyToScream Well-Known Member

I assume many who read this know what I'm talking about, but for those who don't, I am talking about Fedupforreal's thread that totaleclipse decided to close.

Why?

Nobody was discussing suicide methods. Yes, there was debate, and anger portrayed (what do you expect, though, considering the topic being discussed)...but no insults or arguments of any kind that I saw.

Why shut down someone else's ideas? As someone who agreed with the original poster, I feel equally as affected. I feel like I can't express myself either, or my thread will get closed, too. If I demand to know a real reason to live besides "it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem" then I guess my thread would be "going nowhere" as well.

It seriously makes me want to cry. I feel worse now, today, because this happened.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011
  2. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I think it was shut down because there was a lot of anger being passed around and she didn't want it to escalate further and have people getting more upset. I understand where you are coming from tho. It wasn't technically against the rules but still... its at the staffs discretion. She could always make another thread? Or post to management about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011
  3. 41021

41021 Banned Member

Hasn't it already been proven, one of the worst things to say to someone who is suicidal is; Aww it's gonna get better. Well fuck you how do you know that? Oh it's a perm solution to a temp problem. I call bullshit anyway...some folks, like myself do not have a temp problem, it's a permanent prob and is not going anywhere.

The poster wasn't looking for hugs or pats on the back. Wasn't even seeking to discuss pro suicide/pro choice, nor methods...they gave us a link to the real problem and wanted real human thoughts, discussion. Too many ppl got hung up on the damned title of the thread.

This is soooo sad.

4. TooShyToScream

I want to know in what way it was against the rules. I am portraying anger right now, too. Should my thread be closed? When you're discussing a serious topic like suicide, negative emotions WILL be passed around. There is nothing happy about the subject.

5. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Oh.. i guess i misinterpreted what they were trying to say. I'm sorry for that and sorry it was shut down without a fair chance.

6. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I meant to say wasnt against the rules. Typo my bad.

7. TooShyToScream

It's beyond sad. It's borderline disturbing. You want someone to be pro-life and yet you tell them that they're not allowed to speak their mind. Who can possibly be pro-life with that in mind?

Also, what is temporary and what is permanent is mere opinion. Something that is permanent to one person may be temporary to someone else and vice versa.

8. TooShyToScream

It's all right. I should've noticed what you meant based on the context of your sentence. But I was too upset.

9. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Its okay I understand why you are upset. After re-reading that thread I see that you are right. Sorry about that. No hard feelings?

10. TooShyToScream

Reminds me of when I joined strengthofus.com. They don't allow even the mention of suicide and self-mutilation. It wasn't that way though when I first signed up...it was a new rule that was made due to people posting about it. And their excuse was that "Well, it upsets people." Hello? Am I not a person? Why doesn't anybody recognize how I feel being censored, or does me being upset not matter, only the happy-go-lucky people who don't want to hear about it?

Or maybe it was strengthofus.org or some shit. I don't even know. Something like that. I left that site for good though. Right after I told a few people off.

11. TooShyToScream

Not against you.

12. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

Again, I apologise for my part in getting the thread closed, was never my intention and as I say - I'll try and talk people round as peacelovingguy outlined in what I thought was an outstanding post, but at the end of the day I'm not pro-life for pro-life's sake and if you want to end it - I'll walk away as long as I know I've done enough in my own mind to make someone at least think it through...

This is a tough line moderators walk - and I speak as a mod on a different forum on a different subject entirely, but I felt when compared to some of the anger shown on the 'God Complex' threads - that one was positively benign.

13. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Good. :) Also, if you "protest" about it in letters to management it could be reopened probably.

14. 41021

41021 Banned Member

I'm in far too much pain to check on the original poster. Has anyone checked in with them, to see how they are coping?

15. TooShyToScream

But it's possible to discuss things like suicide, religion or what have you in a civilized manner. All you have to do is show respect for someone else's beliefs, whether or not they're different from your own. Why is that concept so hard for most people to grasp?

Truthfully, until we kill ourselves, we're all at least a little bit "pro-life" because we have some doubt. But when you stomp on our individuality and back us into a corner, it really doesn't help anything.

By the way, I'm not talking about you in particular, just so that's stated.

16. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I can do - though I'd prefer it wasn't someone like me who probably came across as a total shit...

17. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

I'm all for pro-choice, but pro-suicide should never be promoted. It's the other side of the extreme. I guess he thinks pro-suicide sites provide non-judgmental discussion. Only pro-choice sites do in actuality, I've been on a few pro-suicide sites... not nice.

The thread should never have been closed in the circumstances though, all it contained was a small tangle of interpretations. Also, it was not in the best interest of the poster who appeared very angry. Such discussions should be allowed in my opinion, as they're harmless.

18. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I re-iterate I'm not a mod on this forum, so it's not a case of me vs you lot...

And I totally agree with your point - which is why I was disappointed to see that thread closed...And it's a debate I've entered before and I'm willing to have again

If a mod is reading this however, might I suggest this thread be moved to the 'Soap Box' section as I'm not sure it is usefully placed in the suicide section.

19. TooShyToScream

I PMed them, though they haven't responded.

At least it's not just me who feels like shit over this.

20. TooShyToScream

Well then, in honor of the OP of the other thread, let's have this debate. Really and truly, what IS the purpose in life?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.