Why is it addictive?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Monoka, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monoka

Monoka Well-Known Member

a few months ago i deliberately drew blood with a compass in school but thought nothing of it. it was a one off. but now i cut with a dedicated blade, getting deeper. it hurts but that is the appeal.

WHY???
    :'-(

2. StevenSiew

StevenSiew Well-Known Member

I don't know. I don't cut but I suspect that it has something to do with having terrible emotional pain and wanting to mask it with physical pain.

3. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

I think there are a few reasons, one is you release endorphins with pain or something like that, so makes you feel good.

4. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

Cause the real pain goes away, with physical pain. Not for long, but for a short while, and it makes things better in a way.

5. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

It used to be addictive to me, last year. But I had a depression again for 4 months just this year and it wasn't at all addictive this time. Still don't understand why.

6. Woodsmoke

Woodsmoke Well-Known Member

Physical pain is better than mental. It's more controllable, or the constant ache/burn/sting keeps you 'out' of your mind, locked into only the physical reality of sense, rather than people and horrible things.

That's how it works for me.

7. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

The scientific reason is your body releases Endorphins, From a Psychological stance self harm verys from person to person.

8. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

Indeed its the endorphines. As a defence mechanism the body releases endorphines to block the pain. These endorphines are the ones that make us feel stuff like love and joy, we release them when we are close to somebody we care about or for example when we eat chocolat. thing is, as any drug, these endorphines are addictive, and the more u realease them the more u need, so eventually u will need more than a compass cut to make u feel better.
    i was a self harmer for around 7 years and seems ive managed to contain the addiction, but i never forget how bad it can get, even when i desesperately need it, like now, after a year of being "clean" Sweety the best u can do is to stop now that it just begun.

9. VCircle

VCircle Active Member

I am noticing my triggers more. I need it when I am in intense depressive pain and I drink alcohol. I get to a point where I feel reckless and impulsive and my brain is saying "fuck it" and then I quickly do it. Not badly, but enough. Then I feel pissed off with myself. And embarrassed and hope no one notices or asks about it tomorrow. I think I am punishing myself for being weak for not being able to cope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.