Why is it so hard to talk about?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by ashla86, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashla86

ashla86 Active Member

Why is it so hard to talk about it to people I know? There are a lot of people who know I'm depressed (not suicidal though) and they are always telling me that if I need to talk they are there for me. There are points where I'm going to talk to my older sister or my best friend about it and then I can't. I think I'd be ok if I could just talk about it. This isn't the only suicide community I belong to and I've had several people add me to their MSN and tell me I can talk to them but I can't. I'm fine talking on the message board and making a post, but as soon as it's instant messaging or face to face I can't.

I'm so scared of their reactions when they find out just how close to actually doing it I am, and that I keep putting it off. Or about how many times I've tried and failed. The times I've tried and failed I was scared and cowardly the whole time :rolleyes: so thats why it didn't work. I really don't want my mom or sister to know that I've tried already.
  2. sarahg

sarahg Well-Known Member

awwww lots of hugs to u
    maybe when u build up a trust with those from the message boards it will be easier to share how u feel on msn. sometimes its also easier sharing with strangers then family as we dont want to hurt those closest.
    most of my family were supportive because i had found help thro doctor and here,so it took pressure of them
    wishing u luck and sending u hugs
  3. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

I have the same problem not on messenger though but face to face. Once I tried to tell someone about my cutting but I couldn't because when I tried talking about it it all seemed to crazy and I was embarrassed. Another problem is rambling thoughts. A bunch of thoughts comes all at once and you can't sort them out to know what you want to say. Or the opposite problem your mind just goes blank and you can't think of what to say. It's hard to think of what to say face to face when your trying to talk about something personal.
  4. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Maybe don't tell your immediate family. I don't see the problem in adding people off here. They wont judge you , many are very close to suicide, have planned or failed in the past too, so they know what you're on about. Have faith :)
  5. I've had strangers who don't even know me tell me stuff like "Why do you look so down?" out in public..... I could never talk to them about it. I just shrug & walk away. I don't tell my doc about it either, that's not good. I have to change that fact. It's like a personal prob that I don't want to burden others with. That's why I never talk about it.
  6. sarahg

sarahg Well-Known Member

hi the me..
    i couldnt tell my doctor so i wrote it in a letter to him,some1 here gave me that advice.
    it was best thing i did-got me help and now i am alot better ,im no more on ther meds and counselling helped me wioth the talking part
    good luck ,hope that will help
  7. ashla86

ashla86 Active Member

Well i sent a letter to the samaritans.
    It's not that I think people will judge me, it's really hard to explain. It's easier to post it in a letter or on here then to actually talk about my feelings with people face to face or on instant messaging. I guess it's because growing up I was never allowed to talk about 'feelings' so now when I want to, it's hard. I know people won't judge me but just trying to talk about how I feel seems really weird.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.