Why is it that the general public refuse our existance?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by delargeal, Jun 3, 2008.

1. delargeal

delargeal Well-Known Member

Perhaps not a great title but it has a point in itself.

Why the hell should we suffer shit for being depressed or suicidal?

Why is there such stigma associated with? Why can people just not seem to accept that you may be depressed?

A common problem with alot of people here is that as soon as they tell their friends or family, they end up suffering for it. Even people they trust turn their backs on the very idea of their suffering.

It's silly. I don't want to keep this shit secret anymore but at the same time I am afraid that the amount of problems being open about it will cause will be too much to handle.

It is NOT our fault we are like this and in some cases it is no one's fault. So why the hell should we suffer for being open about depression?

I want to hear your thoughts on this.
  2. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

I think people are fairly understanding about depression being a problem in a way but dont seem to understand how serious it can be to the people who suffer with it.

people just think you are being a little miserable or whatever and dont look at it as an actual problem just more 'being down in the dumps' or something and think you can just cheer up and that will be it.

and people who do understand a little more of what you are really going through still dont know what to really say, they dont want to say 'get well soon' etc because they dont really see it as a physical illness.

when people hear that you are suicidal they think of you as crazy because they havent felt the same way and cant understand why you would want to kill yourself. in a way i think it makes people a little scared of you so they distance themselves from you.

i dont think i have worded that very well at all im afraid but thats my view on it anyway.
  3. thebrain

thebrain Well-Known Member

I think the post above mine sums it up pretty well. Depression isn't seen as an illness outside of the medical community (and some places in it as well). And suicide is just scary to some people. The ability to inflict self-harm goes against the animal instinct to survive at all costs. Getting past that instinct is an odd thing for people. I've found that the more intellectual a person is, the more they seem to understand and identify with suicidal people. Not from personal experience in telling them myself, but when the topic is brought up...
  4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

My "daddy dearest" thinks that any time i contact him while depressed it's a sign that I'm drinking again. He forgets that I was depressed long before I started drinking. Now he dismisses my request for prayers for my diabetic dog's cataract surgery as "impossible" and demands to know what I'm doing to find a job, etc etc. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on. I'll never contact him again. I have no father except for the Almighty Father, who loves me no matter what. :sad:
  5. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

People are scared of the truth... People are scared of mortality.
    What society fears will always be taboo.

In other countries like Japan suicide isn't a horrible thing.....but in America if you talk about "it" you must be crazy.
  6. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Maybe cause no one wants to be reminded of the "failures" in our "great society". No one wants to hear of those of us who have no reason to live, who have no joy in life. That's not "the american dream" so no one wants to hear it. I'm getting used to be ignored and unwanted. From parents to siblings to friends, I'm getting used to being alone. The only truly unconditonal love I have these days if from my dogs. All human beings demand I meet their expectations before "earning" their love. So I guess I 'll have to live with out their "love". No loss there.
  7. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

This is exactly how I feel!

America is supposed to be the land of hope and dreams, but when someone has no hopes or dreams that person has to be hid under the dirty "no-no carpet". Everyone who lives in a free world has to be happy, we have to be happy because we can be.... In a country of excess there is no room for the depressed.

It's the way society works nowadays. You have to be perfect or do things this way to be accepted. Their is no "universal free love"... you have to meet the criteria and pass the tests before anyone can love you.

America is the land of the free and the home of the cannibals.

8. I completely agree with you, Mr.Everybody.

Unfortunately, society is set to get even worse. More control, manipulation, and power. Anyone who wants in, must conform. It's sickening!