Why is mental health support lacking so much?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by mortdesinos, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

I am in a quandary over why there is not enough support provided for anyone undergoing mental difficulties. It is easy enough for people to find a psychologist or psychiatrist, but what about community support? Yes, there are supervised residential homes, and halfway homes, but aren't all of the above expensive businesses, for the most part? Where is the care and compassion without the emphasis on financial transactions? Why do people spend less time with if you're struggling and need to be helped, rather than more? How can we help each other grow? How do we set precedents for how people should treat each other?

2. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

It costs a lot of money to run mental health centers. There are also mental hospitals which also cost a lot of taxpayer dollars.

3. aki

aki Well-Known Member

Hmm I think it's more than that though. I read an article recently about suicides on the Golden Gate Bridge. They have workers on the bridge who frequently have to talk people back from suicide, and one of them was surprised to learn that suicidal people are 'are real people—not crazy people but real people suffering from depression'. I think that's the attitude a lot of people have, mental illness is very difficult to comprehend if you haven't experienced it. People often relate it to personal strength, that is, mentally ill people are less strong. Which I know myself is not true. I even get this attitude from people working in mental health sometimes. Like I'm a source of interest, a source of irritation but I don't feel any empathy from them a lot of times.

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

your right attitude toward the mentally ill even from professionals in that field are lacking compassion and care. I think one needs to truly feel what we are feeling to understand. People are turned away from help even at hospital they don't understand how hard it was for that person to yet again beg for help they are laughed at made to feel insignificant and it breaks my heart really The people who are paid to care just don't.

5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I don't want care or compassion, I give it to myself. I want professionals to do their risk assessments thoroughly and to know when I'm in a crisis, I am going to die very soon without immediate intervention. It worked recently and I can only thank chance/luck I met a doctor who heard me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
  6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Exactly they need to do the risk assessment and listen instead of judging they need to listen closely and hear what is being said they need to do their jobs

7. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

We also have to remember that mental health is just one part of the health care system. Doctors are responsible for helping mental and physical health problems. It seems like the physical health problems are much more focused on.

8. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

I agree, I think if this world spent as much time and money as they do on politics or all the other BS then this world wouldnt have as many problems as it does.

Think of all the things actual mental health help would help.

People out there every single day committ suicide, murder, drug abuse, physical abuse on others and theirselves and maybe they wouldnt have if they would have been treated for thier problems.

But you know as well as we all do that mental health will only help the ones that want to be helped. Without the want the drive is not there to help yourself. Without that drive many lose the want to even try.

9. thoso

thoso Member

I've found that depression, mental illness and suicide are surrounded with a great deal of taboos - even in our modern enlightened part of the world.

Many people might think they know what a depression is but in reality, they know very little when put to the test. Add to that, many simply don't know how to respond to a friend suffering depression, because the depressed often somewhat changes personality, has very little appetite for life etc.

People in general have trouble understanding what they can't see or hear. A broken leg or cancer appear manageable because you can 'see' it, measure it. A mental illness is somewhat abstract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.