Why is suicide seen as a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by tyge18, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyge18

tyge18 Member

Aside from the conceited people who only think about how THEY'LL feel if someone they "love" kills themselves and calls it selfish purely based on how THEY and others will feel about it. :rolleyes:

Other than that, has anyone here had the luxury of asking to be born? I can't remember a moment in my short 18 years on earth wanting to be alive, except maybe when I was an ignorant child and didn't think I had any other options.

But the reality is, no one asked to be here. So why is it looked down upon if someone decides to use that great thing we like to call free will and end the life they had no choice in the matter of being given?

I wish people were more accepting when it comes to suicide, it would even be nice if there were clinics for suicide like there is for killing unborn babies. No one should be forced to live when they didn't ask to be born in the first place.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  2. DS

DS Account Closed

are we really forced to live?
    doesn't each person hold that power within their own hands?
    i'm here for the moment, simply because i've not finished the job, working on it, just not done.
    others are here becasue they choose not to do themselves in abd they choose to stay.
    others leave cause they don't want to be here.
    seems like there is a choice there.
  3. kerplunk86

kerplunk86 Member

Who knows. I'm often taken aback by the people on this "pro-life"/"pro-suffer" forum that are always offering outlandish suggestions just to get someone to remain on Earth no matter how much pain that person is in. They act as if they have any inkling as to how the person is feeling or what is going on in their life.
  4. dreamstar

dreamstar Active Member

Preach on tyge18! You took the words right out of my mouth! Everything you said is EXACTLY the same kind of stuff I'm thinking all of the time now. All those people who say its so selfish to kill yourself are the ones who are truly selfish! They want you to keep suffering just to keep them happy. I dont know how much more selfish you can get than that! When you truly love someone you have to be willing to let them go and not want to hold them PRISONER to a life/world that just causes them horrible/unbearable PAIN! Oh and I LOVE what you said about there should be suicide clinics just like how there are abortion clinics. So true. Like euthanasia clinics. That would be awesome. I know I'd be making an appointment to go there real soon! lol.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  5. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

im going to copy a message gentlelady made on another thread because she writes far more sense than i ever do!

"...we are a pro life site, and several of the replies in this thread are bordering on encouraging suicide. Maybe not in the sense that you are telling someone to do so, but in the sense that someone reading through here that is close to the edge, could find themselves thinking you are saying suicide is okay and granting them permission to do so..."

please remember that this IS a prolife site. you chose to be a member of this site and therefore please respect its ethos and guidelines.
  6. kerplunk86

kerplunk86 Member

No, it's a pro-suffer/ignore the realities of life site.
  7. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

ok, that may be your view. but as from this point in the thread please stick with the site guidelines and ethos. as i said previously, you choose to be a member of this site. therefore work within the way it is.

i will flag this thread up to the other staff and get their opinions
  8. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Try to remember it's an illness that is taking a huge crap on your mental ability to be happy/think rationally. I'm sure quiet a few people here would hit the self terminate button if there was an actual one. I myself can't see me living a life other than what I am at the moment. I try to keep this hope alive that I may be able to be happy for longer than 2 seconds every week or so.

If I had a firearm sitting in front of me I probly wouldn't off myself then and there. I think it'd rather give me comfort knowing that I can always cross over if I chose to. People have to realise that humans are very sentimental and just thinking that someone they love couldn't be with them for any longer could crush them. Something must be wrong if the majority of us want to stick around...*puzzled face*
  9. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Banned Member

there are a lot of people here who have that view, personally i don't see it like that. i know that i can go at any time. there is nothing holding me back. you don't have to listen to people on here. that is your own choice. but let people who have made the choice to try and live, live. i don't want to but i find meaning in helping people who want to be. this is a good place and you must see it too seeing as you are still here
  10. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

closing the thread for the reasons i stated above
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.