Why is there so much stigma attached to cutting?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Eyepatch, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eyepatch

Eyepatch Member

Why does western society frown on self harm? In many cultures around the world self harm and cutting are celebrated and encouraged, yet in western society if you cut yourself you are treated like a freak. I don't understand what the big deal is. I personally enjoy cutting as I have a self-destructive nature but I am ashamed to do it because of how people will react if they see my scars... Cutting myself doesn't make me feel ashamed, just other people's reactions. Also I love skin carvings and how they can be combined with ink to make some fantastic body art. I fully intend to get a skin carving but it's illegal (I guess because of health reasons) Still, I'm gonna get one anyway and people will probably look at me with disgust when they see it but whatever, I don't care what they think.
  2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

It scares people. It is an unknown to them. Same with depression, it's an unknown to most of them and it scares them.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Health reasons yes it causes alot of damage nerve damage,blood infection,leading to liver damage etc but it is your body and your choice take care.
  4. elleanne

elleanne Well-Known Member

I can see your point. I suppose it depends what is classed as self harm. Tattoos? Smoking? Cutting?
    I don`t and never have enjoyed cutting. I think it is a survival mechanism for me (however maladapted) and is done when I am in a dissociative state. I have known other people, like yourself who proclaim to `enjoy` self injury. If that`s the case....then fine. There are always people who disagree with `lifestyle choices` we make but as long as you`re comfortable with what you do, then I can`t see the problem.
  5. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

I think outsiders view self harm as a cause for concern because of it association with depression and suicide-and so they should! It is something to worry about and if I learnt that someone I cared about was self harming I too would worry. Those who view it with disgust are misguided and probably do not understand the “illness”. As a self harmer I worry about people who I know seeing my scars because I worry they would see it as a ploy for attention when this is not the case. It would hurt to have others who do not understand my situation to belittle my pain.
  6. elleanne

elleanne Well-Known Member

I think that most self harm is a way of staying alive. It also hightens the likliehood of suicide. I think it`s so individual. I have known many people who see self harm as their only way to survive (it may be for that moment...or for a lifetime). I wonder if the shame / stigma attatched to self harm are part of the cause for it`s links to suicide / suicidal ideation, rather than the self harm, per se(?).

7. AnonymousOne

AnonymousOne Member

I wouldn't be surprised if that were true.

Also... would SI be as common/dangerous if society didn't look down on it?
  8. Nicole_O91

Nicole_O91 Active Member

In what cultures do people celebrate or encourage S/H?
  9. confuzzle

confuzzle Well-Known Member

Thats what I'm wondering too. Source?
  10. HaveNot

HaveNot Active Member

I self harm with drugs and cigarrettes; never really all that into cutting though. I find it'll be too messy with all the blood everywhere. I really hope you can cut back or eliminate cutting altogether, but if it floats your boat and helps you to keep on in this life, so be it
  11. xXxJJxXx

xXxJJxXx Active Member

i totally agree. my couple of my friends found out and they turned round and said to my face that it scared them because the didnt understand it.

i hate how people do have such a bad reaction when they find out about it. i also cant stand the fact that there are people around me who make it the subject of some sort of joke, that hurts but they dont realise because they dont know i cut :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.