1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is this happening?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Alexander_the_mediocre, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A few months ago I attempted suicide. Obviously I survived, but the experience was absolutely terrifying.
    I'm trying to forget about it to better myself as a person, but the memories just won't go away, and they are so vivid it scares me. Sometimes I almost fall over due to clumsiness and it triggers this brief moment where I feel exactly the way I did when the chair holding me up was tipped over and it triggers the most horrific emotions I've ever felt. At night when I'm asleep, I have these dreams every night and I feel like I'm choking, it's so vivid and terrifying and I don't know what to do. Why am I reliving this moment? I just want it to stop but it won't and I can't stop these flashbacks.

2. Tea_at_Four

Tea_at_Four Staff Alumni

Welcome to the forums, Alexander.

If you are seeing a therapist, ask her/him about EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). www.emdr.com/general-information/what-is-emdr.html For working through traumatic incidents, this the approach my housemate used to process what happened to him in Iraq, and it's done him a world of good. The flashbacks he struggled with have pretty much faded after reprocessing the incidents in a safe, guided manner with his therapist.

Best of luck to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.