Why is this happening?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Alexander_the_mediocre, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A few months ago I attempted suicide. Obviously I survived, but the experience was absolutely terrifying.
    I'm trying to forget about it to better myself as a person, but the memories just won't go away, and they are so vivid it scares me. Sometimes I almost fall over due to clumsiness and it triggers this brief moment where I feel exactly the way I did when the chair holding me up was tipped over and it triggers the most horrific emotions I've ever felt. At night when I'm asleep, I have these dreams every night and I feel like I'm choking, it's so vivid and terrifying and I don't know what to do. Why am I reliving this moment? I just want it to stop but it won't and I can't stop these flashbacks.

2. Tea_at_Four

Tea_at_Four Staff Alumni

Welcome to the forums, Alexander.

If you are seeing a therapist, ask her/him about EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). www.emdr.com/general-information/what-is-emdr.html For working through traumatic incidents, this the approach my housemate used to process what happened to him in Iraq, and it's done him a world of good. The flashbacks he struggled with have pretty much faded after reprocessing the incidents in a safe, guided manner with his therapist.

Best of luck to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.