why is this

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by mortdesinos, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

Many of the moderators in the chat are very controlling of other members of this site. It is something I am sure many of you have noticed. The reason is simple- people feel they must take on certain roles, and moderators feel they must exaggerate their roles in order to maintain power. Role acting is a human condition. But it is getting out of control. I do not mean to say that all moderators do this. But there is no reason for me to state names. Do you agree with me or disagree?

2. ~Young-Violet~

~Young-Violet~ Banned Member

I'm sorry but I dis agree, I think the chat mods are doing a great job and keeping it safe. They are *not* controlling and are very caring towards other members. The site would not be much with out all the Mods and Admins, they try their best. So Yeah I disagree :) Every chat I've been in so far with a chat monitor in has been safe they are only trying to be nice :)
    So keep up the good job x

3. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

No disrespect to you but you have just joined.

This has been an ongoing issue for a very very long time and after what happened on new years eve was just shocking. Delete me, block my account, ban me, i dont really care, it shouldnt take hours for people complaining to ban a troll. The CM's shouldnt ignore people when they are complaining about people taking the piss in the different rooms in chat. I mean seriously, whats the point in having a CM when they do nothing and ignore people?

4. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Perhaps they need more mods? There's 34 people in the chat right now, maybe they're getting overwhelmed? Or is it just a matter of opinons and views from particular mods?

5. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Maybe chat monitors that aren't afraid to kick people out of the chatroom?

6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

If the rules and guidelines were followed we wouldn't need to worry about monitoring. We wouldn't need moderators. Members would not lose chat privileges, need to be placed FAO, be chat banned, be placed UM, etc. It is sad that some people feel they have the right to ignore the guidelines set forth to keep chat a safe place to be. So controlling, maybe you can call it that. To go one step further, if everyone respected one another and their feelings, chat would be somewhere everyone could feel comfortable. As it is now, that is not true. Some members stay away because others purposely harm them. And when mods do have to do something about it, it is always their fault in the eyes of those needing to be "controlled". Interesting that those who complain the loudest are the ones who have lost privileges or had to be reprimanded at one time or another. I would like to remind everyone that membership at sf and the chatroom is a privilege not a right. Sometimes we tend to forget that privileges can be taken away should we abuse them. They are not guaranteed to any of us.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2011
  7. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

I am sorry Mort, but I really DISagree with you here.

The Mods in chat never try to control anyone. You have to remember this forum is a very delicate place, where people's emotions are everywhere and people can be vulnerable. This often shows in chat, and the Mods/Admins have to make sure everyone's sticks to the rules, because things could easily go wrong.

Like earlier today, I was in the entrance lobby and I was away at the time. When I returned I mod asked me in private, and very nicely if I would move rooms, and I agreed. That is NOT controlling. Controlling would be moving me with no choice or warning. And actually, that mod did say they always ask people before moving them, and if they get no response after 10/15 mins say, they do move them. Which is fair enough. I have never seen a Mod abuse their power. They only do their best to provide and support a very amazing and sometimes hard work community.

And also I saw another great example of modsmanship. A member was having some trouble. and a Mod was the first one to offer a hand and was willing to sort out the problem for the member. Not forcing themselves into it, but simply offering to be there.

I love this family here, and all the staff do such a fantastic job. Well done guys and gals ;)

:hug: xx

8. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Turn it in, you changed the rules to get me banned from chat, because once again i have 15 points even with the unexpired infractions, oh but thats right after i got permanently banned there was one warning that was supposed to be a expired infraction.

It goes both ways, people who do a piss poor performance of running chat shouldnt be their. Lets not forget that a lot of staff at the time had a grudge against me and was actively trying to goad me into saying something that would get me banned, oh yeah thats right thats ok because they are no longer staff so its fine. I feel rejected and despondent with some of the staff on here

Your right i do complain the loudest because ive been treated like a fucking idiot by some memebers of staff. Im not including you in this gentlelady cause i know what you do for the site, it just makes me pissed off sometimes

9. Tim.

Tim. SF Emoti-King

I suppose the mods are people too, and so will make mistakes at some times. But I think in general they do a good job. I can't think of an instance I have seen of a mod abusing other members in chat. While it may happen, it's much more common to see members abusing the mods for doing their job.

From my experience, chat is also much more likely to have people violating the site rules when there are no mods present. And when it happens it is much more likely to go further and last longer without a mod there.

I have thought for awhile that the site could actually use more mods in chat. I still enjoy the site quite a bit as it is now though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.