Why isn't suicide (assisted suicide) legal?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by none123, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. none123

none123 Member

Because I never asked to be born into the crappy world, I was forced in by stupid parents. So shouldn't I have the choice not to stay here since it wasn't my choice to be here in the first place, leave when I want to.

It would really make it so we don't have to live with failed attempts, or going through such pain when we try, and having to live through hell till the next attempt or worrying about the person who finds me. I should be able to sign a consent form and be over 18 to be old enough to choose, and be able to choose not to live here anymore.

Plus a lot of people act like people in bad situations are just a drain on society and want them gone. Immigrants that want to get out a crappy country/situation to try to make things better for themselves, people get mad at them. People that can't afford health insurance get mad when health bills pass that make it so their taxes are paying for it. People act like they would rather they die then have to pay a couple more dollars to get them health care. They get mad when poor people don't pay income taxes so these rich people have to pay more. So why don't these people that act like us in bad situations are a drain on them, and would rather us not exist, just make it legal for suicide.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
  2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I think its illegal because a lot of people have been to the point of taking their lives and come through it with help. You can get through this.
  3. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

Probably because the first priority should be to help people with mental illness rather than encouraging them to kill themselves.
  4. Friend

Friend Well-Known Member

I think that it should be legal. And I've heard many doctors who said that they feel that it's their duty to euthanise those who want it, but that they simply can't because of the law. To use America as an example, some 50,000 people a year do in fact commit suicide in the U.S. They had to do it by using such macabre methods such as defy & are beyond imagination; <Mod Edit, WildCherry: Methods>. To look at it realistically, that's 50,000 painless injections that could've been doled out instead. Which would be preferable? The statistics speak for themselves. You don't save those 50,000 Americans every year. So what people need to learn how to do is separate those who are suicidal, from those who are feeling suicidal. The difference is clear and hopefully this metaphor is as well. You can go out to a diamond with friends and imagine that you all are professional major league baseball players, and for a while there you might even be able to convince yourself that you are a professional big league baseball player, but the fact of the matter is, you are not a major league baseball player, and that is obvious to external parties who might be watching. Those fifty-thousand Americans who kill themselves every year are not simply "feeling suicidal" .... they are suicidal. There is a difference. To me the difference is obvious and I can immediately discern which a person is, based on the things they say. Good listening skills are the only requirement.

I know what the pitch is from the opposition with why they are keeping it illegal. I have heard it countless times and it's as follows. Their logic says that emotional problems are due to chemical imbalances in the brain and can thusly be treated with medication and therapy. In this sense they'll claim that it is a temporary problem. In my case I have already tried medication and therapy and it didn't work for me. Their argument then is that everybody's brain is different and therefore just because I haven't found the right medication yet simply means that I need to try more and more different ones. But, if I may, slip in a friendly reminder here: What's the answer to 99 out of 100 questions? Money. And at this point I think that the reason euthanasia isn't legal is because of pressure from the billion dollar a year pharmaceutical industry. Consider that and consider also a harsh taxation code is enforced on the population. I think a clear enough picture starts to form: A dying people, and a golden dollar-sign hovering in the clouds above them, storming down lightning bolts as if it were Zeus himself.

What baffles the mind is the fact of how many people support this system unquestioningly. It really makes me wonder just how strong the animal instinct of 'survive at all costs' must be ingrained, perhaps to an unhealthy degree, into these people. What these well-meaning people are missing is that yes, bouts of depression are just temporary for many people, and with treatment and therapy some of them do recover. But for just as many of us, the trauma that we've endured which led to the depression in the first place, cannot be treated. Their is no magic pill that will make past traumas disappear. Their is no talking our way out of these issues. It is locked in the memory, and their is only the one way out of that as far as I know of. These same people will send their kids right into the frontlines of a combat zone in order to protect Big Money's interests, and then they'll deny them their natural human right to leave the planet. I'm convinced that it's about money and taxes, each person who kills themselves just robbed the billionaires of a share of their stable clientele, another taxpayer. With the way society, which obviously possesses such a small amount of compassion, houses people, many of them truly innocent in every sense of the word, in prisons that are still right out of the dark ages, you have to ask yourself where all of these people who suddenly care about us come from. They care enough to make sure another prescription is promptly written out for us, but that is the extent of their care. The brainwashing flows from top down, while they're engaged by it they will come on here and other similar ventures, to the online forums which e-house the bottom, to remind us all that we simply need to go see a psychiatrist and get our scripts, while they talk about how much they care, but, it occurs to me at least, that if they truly cared then they would be working with the people in their local areas, taking them into their homes, feeding them, supplying them with blankets, and if they were doing that then I assume that they wouldn't have much time to chat and so forth. Nevertheless, I think that these people have good intentions, they just might not be capable of perceiving a system, perhaps from having had minimal exposure to it. I'm all for the Right-To-Die and the Euthanasia Movement myself though. If you're over 18 I'm sorry but you can make up your own damn mind, even when it comes to serious issues such as this one. And, after having lost many people and after seeing it happen time after time in continuum, I do in fact consider major depression, anxiety, and PTSD to be terminal illnesses. That's why I think that we're all dealing with this, the brain damage, destroyed livers, and trauma from endless failed attempts. Just my take on it. A good topic though, and one I've been contemplating for nearly 25 years straight. Peace.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
  5. Lonewolf3

Lonewolf3 Active Member

If we die, it's less tax revenue for the government to spend on themselves and rich folk...& if we leave behind unpaid loans/debts it's bad for the economy...:dry:
  6. jabooty

jabooty Banned Member

ahh but your soul did...you wanted to be here at this time in history possibly to learn something, meet someone, witness something, help someone, do something very important and thus preparing you for your acension. Good news is that you may have to come back a few more times before that happens.

and i totally agree with you...rich ppl with all their money suck! they may have money but they sold their soul for it...

the problem is that society and the current civilization is founded on greed and power. those who have, control and the those who dont have have to obey. Me, i stand on the outside of the bubble, i neither control or obey. call me the rebel without a clue! I make enough to get by and keep a low profile and try to enjoy my life as much as possible doing whatever it is i like to do.
  7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I've always seen it as a total mind-fuck it's illegal. Let's drop any moral arguments here and approach it from a legal perspective (of Canada). I own my body, yes? Yes I do. That is why the government is not allowed to do anything to my body without my consent. The only time that I can be forced to do something to my body or have something done without consenting is when I am considered to either be incapable of making my own decisions or am threatening other people's well-being.

So we have two criteria that could potentially be used to declare that suicide is not an implied right of owning one's own body. You can say that it is harmful to others well being by saying my family/relations will be hurt. That's easy enough to toss away; it isn't illegal for me to alienate my relations, it's not illegal for me to insult them or refuse to talk to them. Clearly I cannot be forced into and action simply because it causes some mental damage to another.

What's harder to toss away as an argument is that those wishing to commit suicide are incapable of making their own decisions due to acute mental distress. In many cases I believe that is true, but not all. Suicide as an impulsive act that was not pre-meditated, I think, should always be disallowed but how can one say that if you have planned clearly and can prove your awareness of what you are doing that you are mentally unfit to think for yourself?
  8. Mandy1

Mandy1 Antiquities Friend & Senior Member

In some countries it is,so if suicide is what you really want,as its technically not legal in Great Britain,you allways have the right too go too the contry or whatever,as long as you know what your doing.

Sorry for being blunt but its a fact of life.

9. suicidal maniac

suicidal maniac Well-Known Member

Asked the same question before. Pepople over a certain age, and people in jails, should be allowed to kill themselfs, but if you think about it you have to ask youself what your problem is, and as hard as it may seem you have to accept it, and trust me it can better. All I can say is that from an attempt I get constant panick attacks, so now it constantly feels like I'm dying, so be carefull what you wish for, life is a beautifull thing, even though sometimes it stinks.
  10. Mandy1

Mandy1 Antiquities Friend & Senior Member

Ps. I was born in 1967,My mother had a ceasar section,because I was premature,and believe me when I say I came out Kicking and screaming,thing is my mother never saw me for 6wks therefore she had a minor problem bonding with me.As Im am a illigitamate child the result of a affair.My biological family half brothers and sisters had a life,sorry but that makes sense too my reality.

Unfortunatley,both my parents ,all my grandparents,are deceased,therefore as a orphan and a only child,if I wanted too end my life,I would,without the guilt that is associated with my reality.

One thing I deffinatley wouldnt do was apologise.
  11. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

Assissted suicide for the terminally ill is legal where I live.
  12. 41021

41021 Banned Member

i don't know but it would sure make things easier
  13. Pow

Pow Well-Known Member

I guess some people would find it unhumanely.
    Also it would incourage people that think their life is shit but really isn't to kill themselves.
    Personally I think it's stupid illegallising suicide.. like really, what are they going to do about it. Maybe they should try change society into a place thats actually livable before bringing in assisted suicide, I say.
  14. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I certainly do wish many times it could be legal, not only for the terminally ill but for people like me as well. :(
  15. happyville

happyville Well-Known Member

Because a lot of suicidal people have depression, which can often be helped if people in a depressed person's life would put in the effort.

Now, assisted suicide for the terminally ill? That I understand being legal. But assisted suicide for people who just want to die instead of fight, who aren't terminally ill? That would be murder in my book. Suicide, in and of itself, is a selfish act - I'm not saying it's selfish for someone to want to end the pain and remove themselves from a world that is so difficult to live in, but it's something one does on their own. Terminally ill patients are usually under constant supervision, and don't have that choice.

Speaking of assisted suicide being made legal, think of al the actual murders that could be executed in the same fashion as an assisted suicide, and said murderers getting away scotch-free because the victim told them 'I want to commit suicide'.
  16. happyville

happyville Well-Known Member

That depends entirely on what people are in jail for. One of the reasons I'm iffy on the death penalty is that, if someone has committed a horrible crime - pedophilia, child rape, rape in general, vicious murder/torture - don't they deserve to suffer in jail/prison?

I would not want someone who raped one of my children to have the luxury of skipping out on their punishment and taking the easy road out via assisted suicide.
  17. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I think that eventually it will become legal, however it will need some serious legislation to protect vulnerable people. Legalising it poses some serious questions such as; will it be done by a medical professional, if any particular method will be used, the undoubted criticism from religious groups, age limits etc etc. I would welcome such a change in the law, I am not pro-suicide but I am pro-choice.
  18. Kiba

Kiba Well-Known Member

People always tell me that the way I do things (minorly autistic) is just how I am and that it makes me unique.

Then I question,

-So why do people give me medications to change my thoughts?
    -To change my behaviors?
    -Cant medications and therapy in itself be considered brain washing?

I beleive treatment is just brain washing with a diffrent name. The medications they give you change your thinking. They change you! If you own your own body, why does society say that you are mentally ill and need treatment? let me put it the way I see them saying that you need treatment.

"You dont conform to society. We are going to brain wash you with chemicals and drill into your head that you cant think this way anymore because society dosent accept it."

So then I ask myself,

-Why dosent society accept people for who they are?
    -Does society wish to control me?

Society wishes for conformity, yet in America they talk about uniqueness. In my mind, that dosent make any sence. Its like telling someone that water should be flavored, but only allowing certain known flavors of water [Im not good with metaphors, but hope u get the idea]. People simply hate change and diffrences. They judge based on what they know and what they beleive is right. They dont see therapy as brain washing, because they feel they are helping the "affected" person to feel better. In my mind I hear them saying this.

"We are going to change your thinking because we feel it will help you. We are changing you to be a diffrent you."

So, how does that make sence? It dosent.

-They are changing me to be a better me?
    -Why cant I just be me without the brain washing?
    -Why do you want to make me conform?
    -Do people really care?
    -Or do they only wish to avoid their own pain?

I really have spent a lot of time thinking about these questions.

I look at my life and I know that if people didnt give me crap-loads of medication or drill into my head their ideas about life, I wouldnt be so messed up and Id already be dead by now.

Society has brain washed me down to the point were I am more in fear of failure to die and brain washing (treatment). They messed me up so bad that I constaintly go back and forth with my past thinking patterns and the ones they brain washed me with.

Anyways, thats just what I think about assisted suicide and suicide in general.
  19. badlife

badlife Active Member

where i live if you fail at suicide you can get the death penalty
  20. Sparky55313

Sparky55313 Well-Known Member

Being suicidal myself and many attempts under my belt, I keep an open mind to assisted suicide. I spent months in a pshych hospital and once released I still had suicidal ideations. i was put on tons of meds and monitored big time. Today I want to live and depend on the meds.
    Had I had my way without meds I most likely would not be here today.
    It took a good year to get me leveled out and all it was was getting the chemical balance my body was not producing.
    I still am depressed big time but I am giving meds a chance to work. I feel much better than I was 6 months ago. I still have suicidal ideations.
    But I am glad the courts intervened.
    Today I still suck air.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.