Why NOT?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Esmeralda, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

So many of us ask "why?". Have you ever asked the question, "why not?". I ask this because I know a woman whose husband may be dying of Cancer. They have been very blessed for the most part and are really wonderful, giving people and they recognize that, so she said, "So many people ask 'why me?', and I ask 'why not me?'" This just struck me as an amazing question from someone going through a horrible tragedy.

Thoughts? Is this a better question?
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

As long as you're not using it to justify negativity.

If you're depressed and saying why me? then say why not me? It might make you feel more depressed, like, well I deserve it.

But if you're feeling happy and wondering why me? Like why do I deserve happiness? Then there's a good time to say why not me?

Hope that made some sense.
  3. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I agree. :hug:
  4. Esmeralda

I see what you're getting at. In this situation in particular, this woman said, "We have been blessed in so many ways, why should our family be immune to the same things that happen to other people every day just because we go to church and try to live good lives? Things happen to people and families, good and bad, and we are no more or less deserving than anyone else."

I just thought this was an amazing perspective, and instead of wasting their time thinking about how unfortunate they are to have had this happen to them and wondering why, they have accepted it and have just decided to get through it as best they can without letting it change who they are or what they believe.

I think that mindset is much more productive, but it also takes a great deal more strength than the alternative.
  5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

They sound like amazing people.
  6. Esmeralda

Thanks Gentle :) They really are. I hope things work out for them.
  7. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Have to say, and fears getting beaten to pulp for saying it :hiding: but I've often thought WHY NOT when people say why me. :unsure:
    There is no rhyme or reason to shit happening to people, no one is immune and accepting it like these wonderful people seem to be doing is a much healthier reaction to lifes crap.
    Getting all bent out of shape because life sent you a curve ball just ties you up with anger and resentment rather than dealing with the problem at hand....having spent almost a year of sitting here saying "why me" ....I know from where I speak..
    SO yeah WHY NOT ME...moves on :smile:
  8. Esmeralda

:hug: Terry. I agree completely! It takes one hell of a person to adopt that mindset, but soooooooo much healthier in the long run. Too bad it's easier said than done :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.