Why on earth is it so easy to find suicide methods?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by HawthornePassage, Mar 12, 2012.

?

Do you agree with my very rational analysis?

1. Yes I agree

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. No I don't agree

34 vote(s)
    68.0%
  3. I very much agree and have been upset with this myself

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawthornePassage

HawthornePassage Well-Known Member

I'm sick and tired of the global industries preying on vulnerable kids...when you type in 'suicide' the first thing that comes up is a Wikipedia article about methods. This is so wrong. Because this can potentially cause a bad result, we should definitely censor it. Its not right for anyone who is suicidal to have access to this information, because the moment you become suicidal you lose your rights since you violate the rights of others by hurting them. We must protect the sanctity of life no matter the cost. The profit of Wikipedia isn't worth any human life, neither is the globalist position people enforce when they hurt around accusations of 'violating free speech'. Tell that to the parents and family of those who die because of selfish corporate interests.

2. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

That has always been something to trigger me. I had just randomly typed in painless suicide one time and it TERRIFIED me at all of the sites that told of methods.

One site- though it claimed to only use it for terminal illness, but really like that would stop others- actually told step by step how to do it.

When I'm depressed and looking for true help from my suicidal thoughts I usually am triggered by just simple google searches for help.

3. Descendant

Descendant Account Closed

The First Amendment, you should give it a read. Also reading about a suicide method and carrying it out to it's full extent are two different things entirely. You can't put the blame on Wikipedia or other nuetral sources of information for people committing suicide, that's complete nonsense - it's not as if they're advocating it or directly caused that persons mental illness.

If someone is so determined to kill themselves simply censoring one website or one article on the internet isn't going to stop them and sets a more dangerous precedent than leaving it be. If you censor one thing you're inadvertently censoring everything that could be considered "dangerous" to ones mental health or conductive of suicide; TV shows, music, books etc. and pretty soon you have a black out on all forms of entertainment and information that the government deems "unsafe". See where I'm going with this?

In the end people are responsible for their own actions, not a neutral 3rd party they let themselves be influenced by. Your argument is like saying criminals aren't responsible for their crimes because they watched a movie about someone robbing a bank and it made them do it so we should just censor every movie, TV show and book about robbing a bank; because that would solve any problems...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  4. Descendant

I forgot to address this in my first post but you couldn't be more wrong when you refer to Wikipedia as a "global industry", it's not even a business. Wikipedia is a free, non profit database that's edited by the users, for the users. Wikipedia itself only has around a dozen employees who aren't even paid anything, they rely solely on donations to pay for their severs. They don't even have advertisements in an attempt to pay for costs of running the site. So how exactly is Wikipedia profiting off of anyone?

5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I agree that you can't put the blame on those sites if people commit suicide. But I also don't think they should be so readily available. It doesn't make sense to me, since laws in this country make it clear that it's against the law to encourage anyone to commit suicide. I have no idea why those sites are allowed to exist, and I don't think they should be.

6. Descendant

But that's just it, they're technically not encouraging anyone. Simply stating that "X chemical when ingested is lethal" is not advocating suicide. In any case, I don't really know where the OP is coming from. A simple Google search will not yield dozens of complex methods with relevant instructions to commit suicide other than what is already common knowledge; you don't need anyone to tell you that letting yourself get run over by a train, jumping off a building, or bullets will kill you. That's easy enough for people to figure out on their own.

Yes there are certain groups (won't mention them) that do advocate suicide and will happily divulge methods and specifics on carrying them out, but you won't find them with a Google search unless you already know who they are or speak Japanese/Chinese.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  7. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

My son learned how to commit suicide, and ultimately did commit it, from an instructional video posted on YouTube. I complained to YouTube and they basically blew me off. It is going to take a big noise in Washington before anything is done. The companies that host the information itself aren't interested in morality, they are simply motivated by dollars.

8. HawthornePassage

Yes, censorship is worth the lives our children, it's not really infringing on anyone's free speech or freedom of expression since its banning a bad thing.

9. Student

Student Member

I disagree with OP.

I believe that its everyone's right to end their life when they want to. telling someone they can't die is like saying they can't live. Everything else in life is already so controlled.

The goverment just wants to keep you alive so their traxes don't reduce. You're all pawns anyway, and that's why I disagree.

10. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

what about when it involves minors and children?

11. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

hi Hawthorne.. first thought of mine when saw this thread was "jesus christ what has he said this time????" we;; o took the time to read all posts and google suicide myself.. jesus you are right sir.. first one is wikopeida and all about suicide and the 2nd was a through listing of all they know of the methods to do this act.. lord help those that are very vulnerable adn feeling like shit..

free speech is accorign to the founding fathers a god given right BUT.... how about those that are children. terribly depressed and or terrible mentally ill.. a computer unless ysstem is moderated by a sane and knowledable adult just by typing the word into google leads right to a cookbook for ending your life..

those that are already thinking of doing this bad deed do not need a cookbook on how to end their existance.. Hawthorne i agree whole heartedly that wikopedia should take that methhods enclylopedia of methods the hell off the web.. thanks , Jim

PS pardon my parkinson's now.. i am upset and fingers got a mind of their own..

12. HawthornePassage

When it involves minors and children the equation changes completely, because being under 18 you are not legally a person.

13. ace

ace Well-Known Member

i guess you can't blame a particular site but it also is disturbing when Ideas/methods are easily available for people as well.In saying that it's not that hard for someone to find a way either,for me I don't place square blame on anyone if I was to die that way I simply would put it life was to tough for me to keep on living and I walked my own pain that's all.

14. PainIsLife

PainIsLife Member

I agree that it's way too easy to find websites that give you ideas and methods in ending your life, but at the same time there's nothing on there that's encouraging you to do it. It's pretty much just factual information. I know a lot of people who look it up out of interest, and it actually puts them off the ultimate act. I think there should be a warning on these sites at least and possibly some numbers of suicide hotlines and places where they can get help because it's never too late to prevent suicides.

15. HawthornePassage

Facts shouldn't get in the way of childrens lives, just because childrens lives are at stake we should stop people from reading facts.

16. Descendant

I'm not trying to be offensive but your bigotry is astounding. You can't brainwash people into not being suicidal by taking away their access to information, that wouldn't solve anything and suppressing an individuals freedom would only intensify their depression by making them feel they have even less control over their lives than they thought - exasperating their self perceived helplessness; you wouldn't be saving anyone, you'd be killing them even faster than if you let them alone.

I'm sorry but proclaiming your "analysis" to be rational is a bit of a stretch. At best it's superficial, at worst just plain ignorant.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012
  17. HawthornePassage

Being suicidal is never rational so what exactly does this have to do with brainwashing? Why would you call me a bigot for trying to save kids lives? Sounds like you just don't care or are willfully ignorant of the facts.

18. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

:p It's confusing "compromising" isnt it. Telling someone who and what they are and what they can and cant do without becoming a dictating factor in anothers life. I know your argument isnt the argument youre posting, atleast I dont believe it is. But maybe just come out and voice the frustration instead of leading people into a debate that will get nasty. People will never want to be restricted, and people will always want to protect their children. There is no happy medium yet, so... fuck it. Information should be free regardless. But there should be respect for that information. Distribution of topics like suicide, idk tbh. I dont really care, im fucked as it is, but for that "innocent" person who goes browsing for a method and whom might actually do it on impulse? To protect everyone you have to restrict everyone. To liberate everyone, you risk the consequences of our acceptance of our own personal freedoms which no society or being can dictate. Tbh id lean more towards making it slightly more difficult to find methods, but that's unrealistic and I dont enjoy this fucking shit storm thats coming on our freedoms being hijacked again on the internet. The real thing should be encouraging help in all aspects imo.

Rational vs life ... lol What a fucked up topic :)

19. Descendant

Suicide doesn't seem rational from your perspective, that alone doesn't mean anyone who considers suicide is mentally incompetent. You're only contradicting yourself because... look where you are. By your standard anything you say or do isn't rational and should be ignored, yet you declare your ideas to be logically sound; every suicidal personal lacks the ability to reason except you - that my friend is bigotry. So to is believing the government is responsible for keeping "kids" from being exposed to material that you arbitrarily categorize as dangerous.

All information, data and mediums thereof is a double edged sword; what is neutral or intended for good can easily be twisted and used for evil and vice versa, therefore it is impossible to distinguish between what is good and bad information. Ultimately it is up to the parents - certainly not you, or any third party (although the government/media already has a heavy hand in it) - to set up proper guidelines for their child and limit their exposure to what they decide is inappropriate. But it usually doesn't matter, because determined curiosity always trumps authority in the end.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012
  20. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Honestly.. I think you're just biting at crap. Being suicidal is never rational :p Trying to save kids lives... :| Then using that as a means to say you don't care? It's almost text book cliche baiting imo. Unless Im wrong hawthorne? I don't honestly believe you think that way... or do you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.