why only at night?

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by Nemo, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I've been coping with things pretty well lately.
    The combination of my meds and counselling has really been helping me and I've felt on top of everything.
    This weekend has been beautiful and I have felt energetic and happy and positive; yet tonight it's all gone down hill.
    Why is it always at night time that I get flashbacks or start to thinking of my past, the abuse and rape?
    I don't understand why, when I've had such a lovely day, I suddenly sink into this dark place and struggle so much to regain my positivity?
    I know this is going to affect my week at work, which just makes it all the more frustrating.

I know this is a common thing where people like us (on this site) start to feel worse at night. But I just don't understand why.

The abuse I suffered rarely happened at night, but I have always had nightmares and constantly suffered from low mood and flashbacks at night time. It really is one of the last things that I am finding very difficult to overcome.

Anyone have any theories on this? Or perhaps some techniques to getting through tonight at least?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Nights are lonely, there's less noise, less people around you and you dwell on negative thoughts while alone perhaps? I once read someone say ''it all comes back at night'' I am unsure why you to be honest. For me nights are worse than days too, I can't quite put my finger on why either but I hope you can get this resolved soon and if you need to talk you can count on us.

3. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Petal,
    It does seem like perhaps the fewer distractions mean we can concentrate on the bad things more. I just thought, why does it always have to be bad? There are times in the day when I have nothing to do and have a lot of time to think about things, but it's not usually negative. In the day, i'm much more rational about my emotions and more capable of controlling them and keeping positive. It's just that much harder at night.

Will have to bring this up at counselling on Thursday I think. It's tricky one.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

That's a great idea. Bring it up with the therapist, she will surely have some answer and experience in dealing with it in other patients. Good luck :)

5. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Thank you :)
    I'll see what wisdom I can bring back to the forum.
    I'm sure everyone has their own ideas. I think your point about there being fewer people and more time to think is main thing but perhaps my therapist will shed some light on the whole thing and give me a different way of looking at it. She's good at that.
    :)

6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I'm so sorry that you are feeling this way :hug: For me, it's hardet at night because I have no one to talk to, usually everyone is sleeping and I feel alone in the world. If I'm left to my own devices, then I tend to dwell on dark things, even sometimes becoming paranoid and irrational. I usually just distract myself any way I can, it's temporary but sometimes it works. I hope you find ways to deal with the flashbacks and negative thoughts.

7. little lucy

little lucy Active Member

I dont have any suggestions or ways to help.. I'm sorry. I just wanted to let you know that I have the same issues. At night they always come back. The flashbacks and stuff..

8. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

It seems to be a common thing. I'm sorry you guys have to suffer with it too. It's probably the worst thing I have to deal with at the moment and that's overwhelming enough. I understand how much it can affect you. I'm generally alright during the day unless triggered by something specific. But nights are difficult, especially as I don't sleep well anyway.
    Like I said, I'll see what my therapist says and try to bring some positivity back to the forum.
    xoxox

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.