Why should I stop?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Love's Icy Death, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Love's Icy Death

Love's Icy Death Well-Known Member

I've been SH-ing now for about a year now, and have progressed to the stage where I need to slice up my arms at least once if not twice a day.

It makes me feel so good, and is the only thing that makes the crushing emptiness go away. I'm going out to town tonight with some friends but to cope with the crowded clubs I will probably cut there as well.

I feel like I dont care about anything anymore, work, exams, life. The only thing I seem to have left is music, cutting and sometimes (when there not at uni) my friends. I'm seeing a councellor next week, I tried before to make an appointment and go by myself but i cancelled it becuase im such a worthless fuck up. I told one of my best friends and hes going to come with me to my first session, I dont deserved friends like him and he shouldnt have to put up with a shit person like me.

I cant see a point to stopping, why should I stop the only thing I have left that makes me feel so good. I often wonder whether suicide would end this pain, and these thoughts are increasing......

2. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

:hug: for one love, suicide doesn't "stop" pain..
    it just transfers it to all the people love and care
    about you..

i know how hard it is to stop cutting.. especially
    when you don't see any good reasons why.. but think
    about it.. do you really want those scars there forever?
    i mean what are you gunna say when people ask
    about them?? you don't want to have to explain the
    pain and bring it all back up again...

dear, i'm sure you're not a fuck up, or a shit person.
    this would probably frustrate your friend to hear all
    this, because he disagrees. that's why he's your friend

:hug: hun, take care. it will get better
    and i hope the therapy session goes well

PM me anytime hun <33

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

If cutting is your only way of coping then I would imagine it would be near impossible to stop right out.
    Hopefully your counselor will help you see more ways of coping. Or maybe you can find it here. I know there are some links on this site for help with that.
    The fact that cutting makes you feel good is not natural. It's not "bad" but it does show that there is a problem. Something that hopefully you can work out with the counselor.

:hug:

4. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

If cutting is the only thing that keeps you sane right now then you're right, why should you stop! There have been times in my life when cutting has allowed me to continue. I have been in clubs and started to feel so out of control that cutting was the only thing that kept me together. For that matter i have, in the past, cut at work so i can cope with the day.

I don't honestly believe that trying to stop simply for the sake of it will ever work because a person has to find other ways to deal with the emotions that make them want to cut in the first place. The others are right, cutting isn't 'bad', it is simply a symptom of depression/low self esteem or other issues. Those are the issues that your counsellor should be able to help you start to deal with. Hopefully in time you will come to realise that you deserve more than intentionally harming yourself and you'll have more effective ways to cope so won't need to cut anymore.

Cutting is simply a maladaptive coping method, it doesn't make you weak or stupid or a freak or anything else the depression is telling you.

5. One of the Psychologists I had once told me to flick a elastic band on my wrist... It has, apparently, the same effects... With no marks to hide. I never have yet tried, because I forgot of it until now... But, try it... I hope it works for you.

6. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

As long as you observe proper sterility and first aid, I don't see the problem with the habit. Do keep in mind what scarring tissue looks like. I only cut my upper leg because I never have to expose it.

7. Love's Icy Death

Love's Icy Death Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies :wub:

I will definately try the elastic band thing.

Pretty scared for the apointment next tuesday but I guess it has to be done :sad:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.