Why should people not be the master of their own fate?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Alliance, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alliance

Alliance Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure why people here think suicide is a bad thing.

We all die anyway. I want to choose. I don't want painful health issues to choose for me.

- Why is life good?

Let's compare life to brussel sprouts. Not everyone likes brussel sprouts and they will refuse to eat them. Some people just don't like life. Some people like life. Why should the people who dislike life be expected to suffer a long life they don't want and never asked for?

- Why is a person worthwhile and when is the last straw that it should be acceptable to kill ourselves?

Would the world have been a better place if Hitler killed himself before WWII? Stalin? Carrot Top? Maybe some people cause more harm than good, and face it, some people might just be better off not alive.

Is someone better off homeless or dead? Personally I'd rather be dead. I would also rather be dead than in a wheelchair or similar situation.

Is a lifetime of hurt better than nothingness?

Seriously, why is nothingness so bad? I long for it much more so than this crappy world. People on this board want me to hold onto pain instead of release, what I want?

You know, I don't think I really hate myself, I think I hate the world. The problem why I want to kill myself is because the world sucks, I hate the world. I want it to go away. I don't make myself sad. The world makes me sad.

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi Alliance...I understand what you are saying, but when ppl are there to support you, the journey is more meaningful...I am in a wheelchair since July, when I stopped walking, and yes, there are times when this pain is seemingly unbareable, but the other times, when I am feeling loved and being with ppl who care, balance those times...this is also being the master of one's own fate...J

3. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

I feel like that sometimes. In fact everytime I go into crisis. I think 'is this it for the rest of my life because I'd rather call it a day now.'
    When I get like that my psychiatrist puts me on diazepan (can't spell that, sorry but it's more popularly known as Valium) for two weeks and that seems to get me through it.
    My doctor uses guilt trips instead "You will totally screw your children up if you do this" That can work for a while too. Until I decide that they're better off without me.
    The truth is that I don't know why we shouldn't kill ourselves if we want to. There are countries which allow you to do it as long as it's for the right reasons. Mental health issues are n't considered the right reasons though.
    When I look back at my life there have been times when I wanted to die for what now seem like the most ridiculous reasons. I had a bullying boss who made me suicidal. Instead of suicide, I fought back and I'll never allow another person to get me to that degree again. No other person is worth it, certain not a bully like him.
    Hating the world isn't a good enough reason. If you hate the world then you should be doing what you can to change it. That doesn't have to be in a big way. You just have to make little differences.
    Most of all you need to remember that this is the illness talking. Don't let it win.

4. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

hi alliance. you ask good questions. can you explain your personal story a little more? that way we can advise u on your particular situation. i'm sure your life isn't meaningless. in your life-brussel analogy, you shouldn't discount that some people that hate brussel sprouts can end up LOVING them later or if theyre doused in butter. people change their mind. we're here to support you 'til you find your "butter".

5. Alliance

It is impossible to change the world. I can't stand how lame most people are, it's so boring, lots of wars and murder and ****ed up people. I hate politics and I hate religion. Even though I hate politics and religion, I still hear about them all the freaking time, and it makes me sick!

I hate how people age, I hate that I have to eat to survive, I hate it that I have to sleep everyday, I hate it that I have to have money to survive, I hate it that I have to do things every single day that I don't want to, I hate physical issues such as stomach ache or headache or being tired, etc.

So much **** I don't want to do, and I wouldn't have to do them if I were dead.

Why should I be at the mercy of nature and suffer from terminal illnesses and other traumatic events? It would be much more merciful and much less painful if I decided to off myself, and after 15 years of deeply contemplating it, I think I deserve my out.

That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that.

6. Alliance

http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=89801

That is the thread I made about my situation. It's very long though.

And yeah, I just don't like life. What is so wrong about just wanting to not live? I didn't have the choice to live, so I should be able to make my own choice to die if I want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.