Why shouldn't I drink?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by aoeu, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Okay, so, I'm in a depressed phase, I've got the craving for hard liquor again, and I know it'll make the depression easier to handle. I know it interacts with the meds I'm on, producing dizzy spells during a binge (even in the sober periods).

Why shouldn't I buy more liquor?

2. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you asked.....Aoeu, you answered already why you shouldn't. The real question is, what is triggering the binge? Did you let the deprssed feeling spiral a little and now you are craving?

3. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

You have answered your own question but I will add my two cents. When I drink it only temporarily eases the sadness and then I am even more depressed and actually get quite suicidal so please think this out before just picking up a bottle to drown your sorrows.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I can survive the dizzy spells... Depressions are always spiraling out of control for me, but they're brief (typically less than a month); I'm bipolar, not depressed. I'm sad, I'm out of panic attack meds, I'm bored, I'm lonely. Alcohol passes the time and makes it easier to find pleasure in things. I know it has the effect of making it worse eventually, but the beautiful thing is that you can just keep drinking and stave it off as long as you want.

5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I know what you mean but the idea is for us to be making healthy choices about our lives and dealing with our illness head on, no bullshit. The fact that alcohol effects the meds ability to work is so contradictory to you trying to get better and live with being bipolar. It is hard I know but you have to find a more healthy less self destructive outlet for when you feel like this......can you start trying some? It may take a few tries but something else has got to work and no cause the damage to you that alcohol does. I have a "bag of tricks" as I call it, just different things I do to fight the urge to drown my sorry and pain in pills (my drug of choice)
    Please fight this urge and do something good for YOU.

6. simonelcuco

simonelcuco Member

I'll tell you why. I have a room mate that does the same thing. Most likely, and though it is not right to assume, being drunk probably helps u get out of your shell, as it does for most people. The results can sometimes be beyond stupid. Truth is, the drunk you is not really you is it? The result of using alcohol as a temp fix to one's problems have been well documented. If for now, it's all good and you can hold it off, then fine. Like any addicting drug it can, and probably will, come back, and do you really want to be an alcoholic?
    Like Bambi said its better to make the healthy choices if you can. I'm glad you at least don't know exactly why its a problem. In my case I've got my pills and smoke an assload of weed to end my anxiety... though i KNOW its no good, I just can't seem to break the habit since it's nice to be high instead of miserable. Though I feel like I could stop anytime so I choose not to add it to a list of anxieties I already have.
    Moral of the story - if you can help it, save your liver and mind.

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I used to want to do what was good for me, but now I don't even know that I want that. This thread is the first support-type activity I've done on here in a long time, because I pretty much gave up on fighting everything. I would like the bipolar to go away, but that's not possible, and I'm pretty sure I don't care to coexist with it.

I have no idea what I could even do to fight off depression. I used to use exercise to help with depressions... but my body is in such terrible shape (spine, joints, knee are all wrecked) that I can't do anything without pain this time around (and yes I have seen a doctor about the various problems, some of them are in the process of being resolved.)

I don't use alcohol to be more outgoing, no. I don't deal with people much ever. During depressions I avoid the few friends I do have because I don't want to associate them with the bad feelings of a depression (nothing quite like sitting next to your favourite person in the world and triggering because of it.) While drinking I'm even more evasive because I don't want anyone to know that I'm drinking.

Besides, I have clonazepam for social situations. It doesn't produce a feeling of well-being, but it does repress anxiety. I don't know whether it'd help with the pain of a depression phase, and I'm out of it so I can't find out until I see my doctor.

8. simonelcuco

simonelcuco Member

Fair enough. I typically avoid people as well when I'm trying to deal with depression. I'd rather not have to deal with them in that state. Though if you feel guilty about drinking then it can't really help your mindset later really. It could very easily lead to more drinking to continue to stave off those times of depression. There are probably safer alternatives to alcohol so yea, once you see your doc see if there's something. I should probably do the same.

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I didn't buy liquor tonight... And I doubt the liquor stores here (LCBO is lose, you know what I'm talking about) are open this weekend.

10. pinkpetals33

you just earned 500 pts tonite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, uh, I'm regretting that decision. I spent most of today triggered. The stores are open tomorrow and I think I'll buy some rum.

12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, I appreciate all your concern, but I bought liquor today because I'm a stupid ass (but I'm now too drunk to care :D)

13. pinkpetals33

forget the 500 pts........make sure you drink lots of water

14. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Points abandoned, oh well.

I'll take care of myself physically, don't worry.

15. pinkpetals33

yeah, we were on the point system ;-)

you're not in the negative status yet!!!

yes, please do take care of yourself....

16. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Ugh, I'm sober and triggering but will probably vomit if I drink anymore... Damn my intolerance of liquor, and damn today.

17. pinkpetals33

Aeou! Two points equal a straight line .......you are quite off the grid.

18. jack5989

jack5989 New Member

drinking can be fun but i find that when i drink too much i get even more depressed and suicidal. on my 21st b-day i blacked out and woke up in the middle of the street with my g/f crying over me asking me was wrong because i had fallen on the ground and just started balling for no apparent reason. i find that the more often and the more regularly i drink alcohol the more depressed i become while drunk. also while drunk if i get a depressing thought it is just downhill from there.

I smoked pot for the first time 4 years ago and it changed my life. i admit that when i can't smoke it's a real bummer but after 3 or 4 days i'm back to normal. no amount of pot has ever gotten me in such a state that a large amount of alcohol will.

that's just me though. there may be some people that alcohol helps but i find it hard to believe as it is categorically a downer. with pot it depends on what strains you get. i always stick with sativas as these are generally the uppers and motivate me to be more outgoing and friendly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.