Why so many Baidu Spiders?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Hatshepsut, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

Human beings are far outnumbered on this web site by these arachnids from China. Baidu is a private company, call it China's equivalent of Google Search. But they outnumber Google here as well. Pages and pages of Baidu are online, crawling over the years-old stuff.

Private companies are different in China. They are subject to much more interference by and information exchange with the state. No offense meant to China's people--many of whom are contributing good things to the world--or any of Chinese descent who may use this site. Yet China and the West have never been on really friendly terms, nor are they now. Historically, this is partly the West's fault (say, in the Opium Wars with the British, or Portugal's attempts at monopolies there, or America's Commodore Perry sailing into Tokyo Bay in their backyard pool).

Governance traditions in China don't separate the public and private spheres. So, Baidu can be considered to some extent an arm of China's intelligence services. They want to know who's thinking about suicide here, and what is discussed. I can tell, because Baidu patrols more heavily here than on many other web sites that have higher chitchat rates. I can't do anything about Baidu, but I don't particularly like it.

What do you think?

` :drama:
  2. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

.......... ////.....\\\\
  3. JV3

JV3 Well-Known Member

I think western governments/companies are monitoring the internet as well. That's what the big NSA scandal blow-up thing was all about last year, and is still raging on in the media today. I don't like the thought of it at all, but at the same time I know there's not much that can be done about it. As far as Baidu being an extension of China's intelligent services, I would say the same is true for Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, in the U.S.

As an accountant, I deal a lot with the IRS and can tell you that a lot of that stuff that has been reported in the media about them is scarily true.
  4. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

It does seem that Big Brother is watching us....... after all..... George Orwell was right, even if a bit premature (1984)
  5. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

That's something. The NSA can do it invisibly, too, so users aren't aware of the surveillance. But I wondered if China is looking after expats, or at its citizens who study abroad, as well as Americans, using a cheap tool to do it.

I like the little spider drawing above, LOL.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.