Why suicide is NOT an option for me (and probably not for you)

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by nickweems, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickweems

nickweems New Member

I hate my life. I'm just prone to getting depressed and had problems since I was a young boy. Now I'm almost 30. I've been wanting to commit suicide for the last year or so, but haven't and never will because of one reason: family (in my case, parents and siblings - I'm single).

Just think of what happens when your family finds out that you have committed suicide:
    - The SHOCK when the first discover/hear about it.
    - The PAIN that they feel and mourning they will suffer.
    - The SHAME and EMBARRASSMENT they will feel when friends and extended family will find out. What will people think about them when they hear their son has committed suicide?
    - And of course, the GUILT and REMORSE that they will feel indefinitely, that it was somehow something they did and what they could have done differently.
    - For those with kids or a spouse, there is also the STRUGGLE that they will incur to make ends meet if you are the primary support for your family.

Now it's true that not all people have families that love them. Even for me, I absolute hate my dad. He is a horrible person and nobody deserves someone like him. However, my mom has worked tirelessly to raise me well, and I can't do this to her.

I know what you're thinking, why not talk to them about it? Well, people in my family also are prone to depression and everyone seems to be doing fine right now. There is no point in talking to them about it and making them depressed too, especially if it won't help me.

All I'm saying is think selflessly about the consequences before you commit suicide. Do what you have to stay alive, but don't hurt your family or other people.
  2. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

For me the opposite is true. My mother is a selfish alcoholic who is too lazy to get a job when we're struggling with money. My dad however has taken good care of me over the years and done his best despite her. I couldn't do it to him...
  3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Even though she is a complete crazy bitch who dismisses my depression and acts like it isn't happening... I couldn't do it to my mother either.
    9 months she went through carrying me, I was a planned baby and I knew how happy she was to get a little girl, she struggled to bring us up, with money, her sanity, my ass of a father. She struggled hard and still is struggling with me. For me to then just go kill myself as if to laugh in her face and say 'ha! it was all for nothing'.

I'm just not that selfish. I'd rather stay here and struggle & fight also, to show her that it wasn't all for nothing.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Never ever would i cause anyone the pain i am in now Never would i pass it on even though ever fibre in me wants it to end how could I after getting them all to see there is hope for them they can heal. I would never take that accomplishment away from them they have fought so hard to get well. I just need to find away some way to heal myself after i get my daughter settled into long term care maybe there will be time for me but there is hope just fight for everything you deserve. Don't let any doctor and ffff hospital say your not applicable because of a diagnosis. You have the right to have happiness you have the right to get help just keep fighting for it somehow make it happen because you are just as important as they are probably more important because you are now able to help others in pain because youve been there you truly can relate and help. Don't let anyone make you feel second best because your not.
  5. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

My family keeps me going as well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.