Why thank you .... I cant think for myself.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by itmahanh, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

When did society get to the point that companies think they have to tell you what to do or how to feel? That we have become so stupid that we can't use common sense or past experience to prepare a damn frozen piece of food. Or that we are so "sue" happy that they feel obligated to enforce every possible circumstance imagineable to cook something for 3 or 4 minutes to cover their asses.

I am going to use the following as an example of what I mean and will add my thoughts where need be.

Tonight I was about to heat up a frozen dinner. Thought what the Hell maybe read the actual instructions this time. They went as follows:

DO NOT PREPARE IN TOASTER OVEN (okay wasnt sure on that one)- DO NOT REUSE TRAY (wasnt actually planning to whole idea no dirty dishes)-KEEP FROZEN UNTIL READY TO USE (good to know) -COOK THOROUGHLY BEFORE EATING(well I would hope so, but to be honest used your directions and well wasnt entirley thoroughly cooked)-USE CAUTION AS PRODUCT AND PACKAGING WILL BE HOT (ummm...... Duhhhhh)

MICROWAVE OVEN:
    The following cook preparation was developed using a 1200 watt microwave oven. Due to variations in all ovens, adjustment to cooking time may be required. ( See if I take it out and it's still cold, common sense tells me put it back in for a little longer)

1) Remove tray from outer carton;(no shit if for no other reason to see what I am about to attempt to heat and eat)pull back corner to vent.( dont know of anything that if it isnt vented in the microwave isnt going to explode to the great amusement of my kids).

2) Cook on HIGH for 4 minutes.
    3) Cook on MEDIUM for 3 1/2 minutes.
    4) Let stand in microwave 1-2 minutes. Enjoy!(this is the one that really got to me and started me off on this little tangent. Let me decide if I enjoyed this piece of crap or not. Do they really think that by saying that or suggesting it that I really will enjoy it? Was one of the shitiest things I have eaten of late but hey they said I have to enjoy so.....? Come on!!!!)

Before reading those instructions I felt like a pretty reasonable, somewhat intelligent and secure individual. Now.... I'm not sure.

What products or companies have made you feel this way? Care to share?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I never read instruction Carla waste of time as i never will follow them
    They can make one laugh though.

3. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I love bicycles. The last one I purchased was a lowish-end mountain bike. I had to remove more than the bicycle's weight in liability avoiding stickers like "Do not ride bicycle at night". Oh, sure the minute the sun sinks into the horizon I am supposed to dismount it and walk on the heavily trafficked road's shoulder eight miles to home.

"Read owner's manual before operating"- good idea! I wouldn't want to inadvertently set in motion a chain of events that would lead to a nuclear exchange between two nations because I dared ride my bicycle before reading through the tedious redundancies of the owner's manual.

"Not to be ridden off road"- Errm, what part of "Mountain" bicycle had deluded me into assuming it's purpose was for enjoying unpaved roads.

:smile:

P.S. I hope you are well, Carla. :console:

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I once saw a laptop and it said that if the screen broke you shouldn't digest anything that resulted from the accident.

So basically if the screen breaks don't lick it... yes, thanks for the warning.

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I actually quite like it when things have cooking directions on them. I'm quite frustrated by the various legumes I've been cooking lately that have written on the package, "these can be prepared many different ways". >_< Sure, the directions are easy enough to find for stovetop, but it's more difficult for pressure cooker, and there's absolutely no hope for microwaving lentils. :(

6. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

my iron came in a box that said "caution, may get hot when used. please handle with care"

7. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Then there are the people who just don't get it. Like a friend of my girlsfriends. He apparently decided to dry his hamster by putting him in the microwave... poor bugger apparently didn't die from that, it bolted out when he opened the door and ran underneath the sofa. He lifted the softa at one end only to squash the hamster at the other.

:( he was like 10 or something but still. Wtf? But yeah I hear you. Excuse me while I go read how to use toilet paper. :lone:

8. itmahanh

I just find it frustrating and insulting at the same time. At time in our history when every electronic device is being thrown at us and "updated" or "upgraded" every damn year that companies still feel the need to warn us not to touch something that is obviously hot. Or tell us to "enjoy" the piece of bland cardboard that we just nuked in the microwave.

Another case in point. I just recently replaced my old cell phone. The previous one I had for 3 years. When I went to the phone company the sales person asked me "what the Hell is that?" Ok it wasnt slimline and sophisticated like the new ones. But when I signed the 3 year contract with this same company, at the time it was the most advanced thing in cell phones. Now this person had no idea what it was? I took a long time picking out the new one. And once again with my new 2 year contract was told this was the best of the best. Did all I wanted it to and more!!!! Well that's all fine and dandy but how do I use all these features? See I'm wasnt born in the right year to be of an age where I can easily understand all these new gadgets. I'm sort of a dinosaur like my old phone was. And I dont even know what questions to ask so how do you ask them?

Ahh the instruction manual. This new phone has more features than my SUV. And we all know the "encyclopdia" that comes with a vehicle. My old phone came with a "bible" A little 75 page booklet on how to access and use all the features. So let's just check out the new one. Nothing. A one page piece of paper folded neatly in 4 and written in 4 languages. Off to the store again.

I informed the sales person that the manual was missing. He laughed!!!! "No that is the instruction manual. If you need more information go to our website, punch in the model you own and voila .... your manual! Oh and you are still well within your 30 day limit to upgrade if you like." Upgrade??? Two days ago this phone was the best of the best and today you want me to upgrade?

But yet to heat up a rubbery uneventful piece of "diet" lasagna I need to read five minutes of warnings of a hot product that could ignite my house if not handled properly. Oh and dont forget to enjoy it!!!!!

And I'm not niave enough to think that the companies that keep rifling off these new products each year do it to keep us all with the best we can possibly own. It's to outdate a perfectly good system so you cant get anything to use with it and you have to line their pockets with more of your hard earned cash to be able to enjoy life as we now know it. Right???

I dont get it. It makes me feel like I'm either the most intelligent or the most dumb person on this planet. Isnt there a happy medium?????

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm not sure there is a happy medium. I'm tech-savvy but have trouble microwaving prepackaged foods :p (I take the burns in stride, though!)

10. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Once in the US, I did see a package of peanuts with the text "Warning. May contain traces of nuts"

:doh:

11. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

must avoid being sued by idiots

12. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

thats is the real reason. there is at least one idiot for every warning label ever made.

13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Hate to spoil your fun, but for people with allergies there's a distinction between "nuts" and "peanuts" - that warning indicates that true nuts may be present.

14. itmahanh

I know that allergies are very serious for those that suffer them. And I am in no way trying to poke fun at that issue. But I still got a little teehee from your statement "true nuts may be present." after reading this post by Tray " thats is the real reason. there is at least one idiot for every warning label ever made." I know just as childish as preteens giggling about farts and other bodily functions but........teehee. Now back to the serious stuff. Buhahahah. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
  15. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Better safe than sorry I suppose.

16. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

That's what the UK thought. Now look at them. Their so safe crazy it's stupid

17. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Well, everything in moderation I suppose.

18. itmahanh

I remember watching a movie with my youngest one. I think it was called Wally? About a little robot left behind to clean up the mess humans left behind while they lived on aspace station waiting for the day to arrive to return to Earth.

Very cute movie. The humans basically just sat in these chairs that moved them everywhere and anything they needed was supplied directly to them with large screens in front of their faces to "communicate" with others and they were basically told everything that was good for them or what and when to do things. All of them extremely obese and not knowing any other existance. How far fetched!!!!

How far fetched???? Indeed.

19. corang

corang Well-Known Member

I remember when I got my phone too. It had the little paper and a 3 or 4 page book of warnings and things not to do. Dont try to dry phone in microwave and so on with common sense things. I bet in there somewhere it said dont drop your phone.

20. nos nomed

nos nomed Well-Known Member

Well if its any conselation I build my own computers but when it comes to my cellphone I know how to dial save numbers and download new ringtones!

As far as warnings on everything it all goes back to one idiot!! Woman spills coffee on herself because she put the cup between her legs sues McDonalds and gets a settlement for like 3 million.

How many times have you opened a box that said this end up only to find the idiot shipping it put it in upside down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.