Why The F*** Aren't Madeleine McCann's Parents Being Tried For Neglect?!

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by ~Nobody~, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

I know I am not the most rational person lately but it seems to me that they are absolute fucking idiots. Who leaves their three year old and two eighteen-month olds completely on their own in a Portugese apartment while they go out for dinner down the road?!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Any opinions on this? If you disagree with me I promise I won't bite your head off.

EDIT: There's a typo in my title, it should be "McCann's", not McCan's. Can someone change it? It's going to bug me otherwise :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  2. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Re: Why The F*** Aren't Madeleine McCanns's Parents Being Tried For Neglect?!

I initially thought the same... and that if they hadn't been drs but ordinary mortals like the rest of us they probably would have, but subsequently I think they've suffered enough, don't you? :unsure:

3. ~Nobody~

But what you said is quite right. If they weren't such 'valuable members of society' they would surely be in trouble legally right now. If they were not doctors, but worked on a checkout somewhere, they'd be being blasted from every angle. I think it's ridiculous. It is neglect, simple as. It's fucking irresponsible parenting to the point where I wouldn't even call it parenting. :mad:

Granted, they are suffering now, but maybe they need to. Their daughter is the real victim, and they could and SHOULD have (easily!!) prevented that. Their suffering is nothing next to Madeleine's, so frankly I don't think that should let them off. They should have protected her.

:mad: :mad: :sad:

4. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

:sad: There's nothing that could be done to them that would be worse than what they are already suffering.

5. ~Nobody~

I get what you're saying, but I think there is, they could be in their daughter's place. Isn't that worse?

The more I think about it, the less sympathy I have for them. :unsure:

6. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

In my opinion they have suffered enough by their daughter going missing. It's unfortunate but people do make these mistakes and this is just proof that it can lead to devastiating events such as this situation.

Yes, it was neglect on their part. But in my eyes the main concern is to find the little girl safely. That should be the main objective of this whole situation. Yes, it was very wrong for her parents to do what they did and i'm sure that they are regretting it now, this just proves that no matter how safe you think you or your children are, you never really are as safe as you think.

(sorry if that made no sense, i been drink)

My thoughts are with her family and i hope she will be returned home safely and unharmed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  7. ~Nobody~

My thoughts are with her, not really with her family. :unsure:

Of course the primary concern is to find Madeleine and the people who have her, but I just think her parents' behaviour should be shown for what it is.

8. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I think they would be in their daughter's place if they could, don't you? I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. :smile:

9. ~Nobody~

Of course, I'm not getting at you :hug:.

I'm getting at them. It doesn't matter if they WOULD swap places, because they can't, and because it's largely their fault. If they'd left their children with a sitter or in the 'dinner creche' at the holiday resort then this would never have happened. They have let their daughter down, I don't know how they could believe it was okay to leave children that age alone in an apartment.

10. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

She is a part of their family and my thoughts go out to them aswell as her. Their daughter is missing and i fully understand that her parents are partly to blame but so are the people/person who took her. I understand that they person wouldn't of had the oppotunity had her parents not left her alone at the apartment but how many parents do leave their children by themselfs, my mother did from a certain age and many others do aswell.

Yes their behaviour was innapropritate but i think losing their daughter at the age of 4 is punishment even for their actions.

11. Jenny

Jenny Staff Alumni

I'm torn on this one.. on the one hand I can see that her parents (who are both doctors) are going through so much turmoil right now. They'll be beating themselves up so much already that I'm sure they don't need the media and the public to beat them up too... I'm not sure they should be tried for neglect though, as I think the trial they're on right now far outweighs any trial a court could put them through.

However, I can't understand why they left the children alone like that. Sure they were checking on them every 30 minutes, but a lot can happen in 30 minutes.. in case of a fire, 30 minutes is a long time! Nowadays at holiday resorts there are often babysitters, playgroups, etc. Or there is always the option of eating earlier in the evening (and taking the children with you) or even getting a take away... but i guess all these things are so easy to say in hindsight.

I truly hope the little one is ok and as safe as can be.. I think the parents are going through enough right now, and despite leaving three babies alone for 30 minutes at a time, it does not excuse the action of breaking in and kidnapping a child.

Here's hoping for good news soon
    :grouphug:

12. ~Nobody~

Goodness, I was never trying to excuse the actions of the people who took Madeleine, I just strongly believe that her parents did the wrong thing. There were babysitters and a creche available, yet they did this every night! The fact that they are both doctors should only make it more obvious to them that a lot can happen in 30 minutes (as Jenny pointed out above).

When you have children your first priority HAS to be their safety.

For goodness sakes, the news reports say they used a nanny at home. Well why the hell couldn't they take the nanny on holiday with them, if they were that desperate to have time alone and that unwilling to use one of the resort's babysitters. They could certainly afford to take someone out there with them!

I don't think there's any excuse for their behaviour.

I still believe that if this had happened at home in the UK, and they had been on benefits rather than doctors, they would have their children taken away from them for failing to care for them properly. This society is so damned prejudiced.

13. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Nobody is excusing their bahviour, i agree 110% that their actions we're wrong. I don't excuse it in any way, shape or form.

People can be VERY naive and think some thing like this will NEVER happen to them and this just proves that it CAN. Granted it was a very stupid thing to do, especially considering the age of their children. Thei parents behaviour is a warning to other parents. Whats happened to their family is a tragic thing and they may have lost a child (god forbid) due to their actions and in my eyes thats the worst punishment you can recieve. The are being punished and will be punished for the rest of their lives.

14. ~Nobody~

My immediate reaction is "Good!!"

Am I a bad person? :unsure:

I would never leave my children alone like that. Not because I'd believe there was any likelihood of them being snatched by a paedophile, but because of the other dozens of things that could go wrong. Even if we discount things like fire and so on, it's bad enough for your 3 year old to - say - have a nightmare, and wake up and not be able to find you. :sad:

15. sadsong

sadsong Staff Alumni

What gets me is, although it's good for this family, the amount of publicity and support that they have recieved from public and celebrities. It makes me feel very sorry for all the other families who have thier children go missing. Why can't every family have this much coverage and support? If every family had people offer £3.5 million pounds for information surely so many more children would be found.

16. ~Nobody~

Here here :yes: I thought that too :sad:

17. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

i agree in a sense. To me, it's not just the fact that the girl went missing, it's that so many things could have happened, you can't just leave children that age on their own. i don't think there's any excuse. If you have children, they come first. If you're not prepared to do that, don't have them. It's not like they couldn't have had a childminder to give them a break but leaving them alone is inexcusable. i'm not saying they deserved what happened at all, or that it should be expected. My immediate reaction is that their other kids should be taken away, but i don't know, i'm all for second chances, too. Hope they get one.

18. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

Cold as it sounds, I really don't care about this kid. Thousands of children like her die every day but ZOMG they're black so no one cares. Seriously, this is one of the least important things to have happened to the worlds in the last few days.

19. ~Nobody~

In a way I would feel better if she WERE dead. But she isn't is she, she's just stuck with a bunch of fucking paedophiles. I would rather die.

How can you not care about what's happening to her??

20. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

How could you wish she were dead? :sad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.