Why the F~ck Won't America Create an Advanced Welfare System?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Righteous, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Righteous

Righteous Well-Known Member

Lets face it, rather there is a recession or not, there needs to be an advanced welfare system for people. Not just any people, but people who are looking for work. Some people are just not going 2 find a job no matter how hard they look. Companies only need so many employees. And this recession should make it clear how we really need welfare in this country. I was looking at CNN the other day and they were interviewing a woman that got laid off who had applied to 650 JOBS!!! And she still hasn't got a job. She living on unemployment now, but that's not going to last forever. It wouldn't make since for her to work at places like Wal-Mart or a restaurant because places like that don't even pay $1,000 a month. She gets like $1,700 a month on unemployment now. She says the only way she will settle for a low wage job is if her unemploment runs out. And I don't blame her. Fuck those slave-wage jobs that those billion dollar companies will offer.

The American government should give welfare to people who got laid off and to people looking for work. I just don't believe in the fucked up concept of "if u can't find a job, tough luck" The welfare money should be in the monthly payment amounts of $1,000 $1,500 or $2,500 depending on your situation like if your single, married, or have any children. And to make sure no one takes advantage of the welfare system, the government should just stop giving welfare to people who don't accept job offers. If America has $800 billion to give to people who are already rich, I know for certain they can use that money to look out for people who are struggling

2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

You have no idea what you're talking about.

3. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Maybe welfare should be less so she takes the low paying job and stops being a leech on the txes of people who pull their weight?

4. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

bingo

5. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Because self sufficiency and personal enterprise are the values that the entire country was founded upon, just perhaps and great number of people still hold dearly to these aspirations.

6. shades

shades Staff Alumni

This country is in big-shit trouble and although some of the details mentioned by the OP may not be practical, the fact is that we are still losing over 500,000 jobs per month with no end in site.

If these people along with the several million who have lost their jobs are not put back to work, the situation will continue to snowball and our capitalistic system will, in fact, fail.

It is a valid question. The supposed great economic minds of this country have not come up with a solution yet and we are heading toward a major depression.

7. CAD

CAD Well-Known Member

The welfare system in Great Britain isn't exactly a great success. America has some very admirable core values like rugged individualism and independence of spirit that mollycoddling benefits countries like Britain lack.

8. Issaccs

/facepalm

9. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Actually CAD several reports and research studies - public and private - have confirmed that the British healthcare system is superior to our own, covers all people, and is about half the cost (8% of GDP versus our 16%, which still doesn't cover 15% of our population).

But that's a different discussion.

10. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

I hope you understand you just said. With this your saying the women in the story you care for so much should be denied even welfare for she doesnt want to work at wal mart. As for what your saying about slave wage jobs??? Thats just the type of payment to be expected form working a dead end job. You want better you have to work for it. I've been there. It gave me lots of motivation to push for something better.

Even if things are to change it will be a long time. The money is already in play. Its not sitting around for when new stuff comes up.

It would be great if it could be such a way but its just not. You cant blame companies cause well they have a right to protect them selves.

Whats gonna happen is people who are considered expendable are gonna lose there job. Sounds sad but its necessary. As time progresses the economy will fix itself. As for the people who lost there jobs its just a bit of tough luck. Part of the hardship of life. Many will suffer so others can live.

Ive heard it before and believe it myself. The more the Gov steps in the worst this recession will be. It will fix it self.

11. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I am as liberal as they come, and hate the Republicans

but I am also of the belief, why should we reward people for having kids by giving them more money

America is tainted forever, now you will just see welfare being cut more and more, of course people with kids and fuck ups of society will be getting money, but the honest people who have fallen on hard times will be the ones to suffer

Amerca is tainted, that 800 billion and probably trillions and trillions came down to Republican(and some democrat) politicans being in bed with wall street and the rich people

America was a different place before the Bush Cancer infected this country, before the greedy scum infected this place

Republicans work to put down the little man and the honest person and look to promote big business and corporatism any chance they get

I hate them so much, they are the reason I am here in many ways

I hate them more then words can say

12. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

the structure needed to be destroyed, these banks should have been allowed to fail, all these companies shouldn't have got a cent in bail out money

now we are just living in a corporate world, you want a job go kiss ass and fight your way for one of the corporations and do as they say, maybe in 10 years you can make $20 an hour, or if you are cut throat enough you can get an office job

we aren't a capitalist society anymore, that is the biggest crock of shit, capitalism if you are rich

13. Mikeintx

now we are just living in a corporate world, you want a job go kiss ass and fight your way for one of the corporations and do as they say, maybe in 10 years you can make $20 an hour, or if you are cut throat enough you can get an office job

we aren't a capitalist society anymore, that is the biggest crock of shit, capitalism if you are rich[/QUOTE]

Dude seriously? Even if you have no schooling and are half intelligent and a really hard worker you can be making 20 an hour within two years tops at any good corporation.

14. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

Which corporations are "good" and which ones are "bad?"

BTW, $20/hour works out to an annual salary of $41,600/year. Below the median wage for men working full-time but well above the median wage for women working full-time. (Source: Wikipedia) So you may have a point there, but only up to a point, since it looks like less than half the workforce makes that. Would be interesting to find the figures for (say) high school dropouts, high school graduates, college graduates and those with advianced degrees.

15. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

I wanted to comment on this but some one beat me to it. Well anyways. If it was so easy to find such a job i dont think things would be the way are. Now let me be fair. I have seen jobs that pay that much hourly with no educaton or experience needed. But that was a job working in a factory or mm.. shipment hub for some company. Its a back breaking job that loses and gains employees rapidly for most people handle it.

My point is its possible but not for everyone.

16. Issaccs

Im not sure what the exchange rate is these days but assuming that works out at between 12-15 quid.
    I find it very difficult to conceive a job that would be "demanding" for that amount of money.

17. Mikeintx

I don't get it... my friend that dropped out of high school works very hard in a local resturant as a short order breakfast cook and makes about 18-20 an hour... I was making close to this at my last job in a no manual labor office job after being there for 10 months and just working my ass off and I have no degree. My sister only has a high school education, just turned 30 and makes 25 an hour at another big corp. Anyone with a good work ethic can go to a busy resturant right now, work as a waiter and make a large amount of money. I have yet another friend who is 23, she does have an associates in bus, but is not using it as she works at a local resturant in a small town of about 25k people. Some nights she makes upwards of 350 dollars if it is really busy and she runs her ass off. And I have yet another friend who has no college edecuation who worked hard for two years to work her way up in another big corporation and was working as a supervisor making 19 an hour with awesome benefits and is only 23.

Yes the job market is hard right now, but to say corporations are completely evil and you essentially have to be the biggest asshole in the world to get up the ladder is a complete lie. Hard work and persistence goes a long way in the job market.

18. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Corporations are evil. Only assholes/masochists have jobs. I'd rather sit back and collect welfare/unemployment for the rest of my life.

19. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I want the companies to suffer so I can live.

20. Righteous

Righteous Well-Known Member

Stop trying 2 make it seem like I'm contradicting myself. She does deserve welfare because she's trying 2 find a job. I don't blame for not wanting to work at Wal-Mart. And plus she did say she would work a low wage job if her unemployment money runs out. What I'm saying is that even she gets a low wage job, she should still get some welfare that would have her getting $1,000 or more a month with the job and the welfare combined

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.