why there are people who are successful in career despite their issues?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by asking_advice, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asking_advice

asking_advice Well-Known Member

why there are people who are successful in career despite their issues?
  2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I used to be able to separate work with love/home life, years ago.
    I find myself unable to work now, though... after my love/home life was completely destroyed.

Sometimes, the work environment serves as a break from all of the stresses at home and works as a distraction.
    It can also create all new stresses- but sometimes- for some people- it's easy enough to be successful even with all of their 'issues' elsewhere.
  3. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

Some people cope by staying busy. If you're always working, you don't have time to think about other stuff.
  4. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

Same here.
  5. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I agree. I used to work full-time and am now a full-time student with two jobs. By being busy, I can distract myself from how I really feel, and I find it easier to just 'get on with life', as it were.

However, I also have a Strategic Survival Personality, which dictates that no matter what's going on in my personal life, I must continue to show a brave face and hide my pain from everyone.

6. nobody man

nobody man Well-Known Member

Exactly. When I had my summer job I was least depressed when I was working. I was concentrating on getting things done and what to do next rather than myself.
  7. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I think some people do well because of their issues.

Before I cracked and had to go on psych leave from school, my anxiety and perfectionism really helped. I know that was just college, but my mom is also a very anxious and perfectionist person and she did quite well throughout her career. There's nothing like the adrenaline from anxiety to keep you up all night studying.

Also, I was reading an article from an evolutionary psych perspective about depression (really you can use evolutionary psych to speculate a lot of things, so take it with a grain of salt) but it said that people who have a high ability to pick out problems and think about them with great focus (don't get distracted by things that are not problems) are evolutionarily selected for, because they tend to be good problem-solvers. However, this can easily become what a lot of us know as rumination - the way we can only see problems/bad things in our lives and ruminate on them for hours and hours.

Also, I read somewhere that a certain type of 'existential depression' is often correlated with people with high intelligence.

I don't know, I'm not saying don't try to recover from mental illness. But at least with me, a lot of things I struggle with are my strengths that I've taken too far (particularly my focus & perfectionism). There's a lot of gray area, and I honestly believe that everyone has weaknesses and strengths.
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Successfully treating your issues can go a long way. I've figured out a solution to very rapid-cycling bipolar I, and now I'm stable... The brain configuration associated with bipolar disorder is highly amenable to many occupations, as it boosts creativity immensely - that is to say, now that I've solved my issues I'm in good position to be immensely successful at what I do.
  9. Fabzatron

Fabzatron New Member

I don't know.
    Personally when I'm depressed/anxious I can't get anything done. It makes me feel awful to think that there are people whose issues are so much worse than mine, yet THEY don't sit around doing nothing all day, they work through it...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.